U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Almost Dfb, borderline Cfc, borderline Csb or straight Cfb?
Kraków 17 43.59%
Kinlochewe 1 2.56%
A Coruna 18 46.15%
Nijmegen 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM

371 posts, read 913,276 times

Advertisements

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Welcome to another round of Battle of the Climates!

Today's battle will be between four climates designated as "Oceanic" - all in the Cfb class...

In the right upper corner we have Kraków, barely escaping a continental classification by nine-tenths of a degree centigrade. Of all these four climates, Kraków is most capable of producing prolonged cold spells due to it's location in a valley being prone to inversions.

Sunshine hours are moderate, with 1,469 hours a year. December is particularly gloomy with 33 hours. With 631 millimetres of precipitation spread out over almost 150 days this is also the driest of all four contenders.

In the bottom right corner we have Kinlochewe, the gloomiest of all contenders, and closest to being a subpolar maritime of all four contenders. Sunshine hours, not even making the 900-hour mark are more remniscent of a subpolar maritime than of a true oceanic climate, especially during the winter months, when sunshine totals per day are measured in minutes instead of hours.

Kinlochewe is second only to our next contender, A Coruna, in it's inability to produce cold, and by far the best candidate when it comes to being unable to produce heat. It's rainfall average with 2,250 millimetres is three times the average of our other contenders.

Give a big cheers to Kinlochewe!!!

Our third contender in the bottom left corner, A Coruna on the Spanish north coast is by far the most winterless and most temperate of all our Oceanic contenders for today.

With a moderately high rainfall average (around 1000 millimetres), high sunshine hours (2000) and most incapable of producing cold, as well as severe heat, this is probably the truest temperate Oceanic in our contenders today. Only weak point in A Coruna is that it's rainfall pattern nears that of a Csb, having less than 1 millimetre too much precipitation in it's driest month, which makes it barely Cfb.

Let's all give a warm applause for A Coruna!!!

And this brings us to our fourth, and final contender for today in the top right corner, Nijmegen in the Rhine Valley.

Nijmegen, located roughly halfway in between A Coruna, Kraków and Kinlochewe has moderate rainfall, modest sunshine hours, but, and this is Nijmegen's strong point: it is the most capable of producing both excessive heatwaves as well as moderate cold spells, although both usually don't last very long. Still, of all our contenders, Nijmegen has the warmest summer averages, beating Kraków by half a degree, and the summer extremes beat Kraków by a full two degrees!

Nijmegen also gets about 100 millimetres more rain than Kraków, which falls on nearly 180 days. Continentality is an issue in Nijmegen, although it's not nearly as pronounced as in Kraków however, but there is enough of it to see this contender being the most capable of producing strong storms during the warm season, in fact so much that it's located right in the middle of the European storm belt.

Lets all give a warm welcome to Nijmegen!

Let the fight begin!

*rings bell*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM

22,256 posts, read 26,751,612 times
Krakow of course, for having the coldest winter, higher chance of snowfall, and probably gets more thunderstorms too.

The others are too samey-samey for me.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM

558 posts, read 676,598 times
Krakow for coolest winters.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 913,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Krakow of course, for having the coldest winter, higher chance of snowfall, and probably gets more thunderstorms too.

The others are too samey-samey for me.
Coldest winter: Kraków
Higher chance of snowfall: Kinlochewe
Best chance of snow actually staying on the ground: Kraków
Most thunderstorms: Nijmegen

Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM

5,599 posts, read 9,426,541 times
Interesting choices. Would have to go for Krakow because the around freezing/dull winters and warmish, sunnyish summers match my idea of what a 'proper' winter/summer are like. Kinlochewe is a complete joke, La Coruna too boring and Nijmegen a surprise second - I never knew they had such warmth potential with being in Holland and all - I assume the valley creates a noticeable microclimate?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM

19,224 posts, read 17,046,053 times
Sign me up for La Coruna. It's a cloudier, drier version of my own climate, although it has a heck of a lot more rain days. Looking at it, it seems to be more oceanic than here, even though it's on a continent. It's a lot sunnier than the other places, and milder, so gets my vote.

I'm surprised Krakow is in front, but it is a bit more 4 season. A bit grey and cold for me, but it has a nice summer.

Nijmegen is just a slightly warmer version of Krakow, but the summer thunder would be a bonus. The rain days are a bit crazy for the total.

There will be no cheers from me for Kinlochewe, it's a disgrace. There's a reason places like this make such fine whiskey. I'm sure it would be a nice place to visit though

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,645,361 times
A Coruna by miles, of course, for me. Kinlochewe - as I have pointed out before - may be disadvantaged by topography, and it may not necessarily be in the cloudiest part of the UK mainland.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM

6,906 posts, read 6,782,216 times
dobry klimat za snieg

Not for me though, I hate winter. A caruna it is.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM

8,196 posts, read 7,767,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Interesting choices. Would have to go for Krakow because the around freezing/dull winters and warmish, sunnyish summers match my idea of what a 'proper' winter/summer are like. Kinlochewe is a complete joke, La Coruna too boring and Nijmegen a surprise second - I never knew they had such warmth potential with being in Holland and all - I assume the valley creates a noticeable microclimate?
+1 Kraków, as it is the closest to being continental.

Though Nijmegen coming as a second didn't surprise me. Those late winter stats look fishy though, I'd be surprised if its highs were warmer than Paris's. December makes sense though. As for summer, that area around northeastern Belgium and southern Netherlands is surprisingly "warm" compared to its surroundings. It's strange that it's warmer than more eastern places like the Ruhr area and Cologne. There are a lot of sand soils in Limburg, Flemish and North Brabant, but I'm not sure if it helps that much.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,911,184 times
Caruna is way too rainy and cloudy but it is still miles ahead of the other places listed here.

Krakow's sunshine hours are surprisingly low. It looks more overcast than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather