Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats worse?
120F heat 48 51.61%
-50F cold 45 48.39%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Great take Prairie and my thoughts, too! If I sweated excessively I might be more comfortable but I just don't and I have to be careful with heat, not sweating enough can be a bad thing.

My mother had a tough time keeping mittens on me in winter I hated wearing them. I always built snow forts, caves, put an old rag rug in it, I'd want to take books out to read and my mom would say, enough, you can't stay out all day!
Your winters sound amazing, all I can remember is rain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Susan, we must be long lost soul mates. I used to build those same snow forts, and also put an old rug in them. I used to spend all kinds of time in winter outside, shoveling snow, ice skaking, sledding, snow ball fights, etc. Most days I'd walk to school all through the winter except on the really cold days. When we got older, we'd shovel off the driveway and play basketball in winter. Still love being outside and hate summers in Texas cause its just too hot for me to go out except early in the morning.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Susan, we must be long lost soul mates. I used to build those same snow forts, and also put an old rug in them. I used to spend all kinds of time in winter outside, shoveling snow, ice skaking, sledding, snow ball fights, etc. Most days I'd walk to school all through the winter except on the really cold days.
I do many of the same things when I have the opportunity. I have put in a lot of hours in winter activities since I was a toddler and will continue to do so. It's one of the most pleasurable things about winter aside from winter itself, and figures quite a bit in what I want from a winter. Slush and thawing really put a damper on things like that, so the less of that there is the better.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
Heat wave grips the U.S. today...

Extreme heat bakes Midwest, parts of East Coast - Yahoo! News

Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM

679 posts, read 359,126 times
120°F (48°C) is life-threatening even without humidity and sun.
-50°F (-45°C) is very dangerous, but not immeditiatly kills you, especially it's sunny and no wind.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:41 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Excessive heat is uncomfortable, but doesn't make me miserable in the way that cold does.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Cold is far worse than the heat or humidity, give me 90 F with humidity over subzero temperatures any day

Old 03-23-2020, 02:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Warmest and coldest I've felt were -44c and +45c (actual temperatures, not heat index or wind chill) in Yellowknife and Phoenix, respectively.

Even if I wasn't an extremely proud polar foamer, I would say -44 is better because I know how to dress for it and I have excellent gear, so I can be outside walking for 2 hours in it (and I was). The question asks about -46c but I don't expect that to be significantly different from -44.

In +45, I got dehydrated quickly and couldn't stand it for 30 mins let alone 2 hours; can't really imagine adding another 5c on that, sounds awful. Maybe it's a matter of experience. So +50c is the worse one.

Last edited by Shalop; 03-23-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
120°F (48°C) is life-threatening even without humidity and sun.
-50°F (-45°C) is very dangerous, but not immediately kills you, especially it's sunny and no wind.
Both of those temperatures are potentially life-threatening. I can say for sure that 48C will not immediately kill you; granted the highest I have experienced is 47C and it is quite uncomfortable, but not deadly for healthy people as long as shade and water is available.

However, I have a feeling you are not comparing apples to apples. -45C will kill you very quickly if you do not have adequate clothing and/or shelter. If you are assuming that the person at -45C has those things, then you also have to assume that the person at 48C also has the necessary shelter or shade and adequate water.

For myself, I have to pick the cold as worse. I dislike extreme heat, but I have no experience with extreme cold and would be at a disadvantage trying to survive in it.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM

679 posts, read 359,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Both of those temperatures are potentially life-threatening. I can say for sure that 48C will not immediately kill you; granted the highest I have experienced is 47C and it is quite uncomfortable, but not deadly for healthy people as long as shade and water is available.

However, I have a feeling you are not comparing apples to apples. -45C will kill you very quickly if you do not have adequate clothing and/or shelter. If you are assuming that the person at -45C has those things, then you also have to assume that the person at 48C also has the necessary shelter or shade and adequate water.

For myself, I have to pick the cold as worse. I dislike extreme heat, but I have no experience with extreme cold and would be at a disadvantage trying to survive in it.

No sun with low humidity = shade.
And you need to drink 1 l of water every 10 min. Even with this you could get heart failure in any time.
Death from hyperthermia is more painful than death from hypothermia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather