U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:59 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,593,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie87 View Post
The plateau is sunny, but the coastal regions certainly are not - look up the Australian stations' averages (Mawson, Davis, Casey) - all low. And the subantarctic areas like South Georgia and South Orkney have dreadful averages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 05:40 AM

11 posts, read 15,960 times
Default One of the sunniest?

Ok, so i think i might have found one here.
Calama, Chile, in the Atacama Desert which is, without a doubt, the Driest place on earth.

Calama receives only 35 mm of rain a year. But, according to Wiki, the city gets 3,926.2 hours of sunshine a year, which might make it close to being the sunniest. I compared it with Aswan, in Southern Egypt, and that gets a mere 3862 hours a year.

But hilariously, when i typed in Calama Weather to google, It showed a full cloud cover Every day for the next week!
Attached Thumbnails
Which are the five gloomiest/sunniest countries in the world?-screen-shot-2015-08-22-12.39.01.png  

Old 08-22-2015, 01:10 PM

263 posts, read 415,824 times
Arica is the driest city on earth and Lima driest capital.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arica

Old 08-22-2015, 03:57 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,593,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspongeicus View Post
Ok, so i think i might have found one here.
Calama, Chile, in the Atacama Desert which is, without a doubt, the Driest place on earth.

Calama receives only 35 mm of rain a year. But, according to Wiki, the city gets 3,926.2 hours of sunshine a year, which might make it close to being the sunniest. I compared it with Aswan, in Southern Egypt, and that gets a mere 3862 hours a year.

But hilariously, when i typed in Calama Weather to google, It showed a full cloud cover Every day for the next week!
Calama's rainfall mean is 5.7mm (see MeteoChile).

A year or so back I looked at a monthly summary for Calama (Nov 2013 I think it was ) - showed sunshine every day. Forecasts are not records!

There are threads on this forum showing Quillagua, Chile as averaging less than 0.1mm for a span of about 50 years.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
The coast of British Columbia and the Alaskan panhandle has got to be one of the gloomiest regions on earth. It's infamous on the West Coast for its low hours of sunlight.

Annual Sunshine in British Columbia - Current Results

Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Location: Jo√£o Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,533 posts, read 1,602,172 times
Southern Chile,at the Pacific Coast is the gloomiest place in the world!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,082,275 times
Some areas of West Africa take some beating - not sure of the figures

When talking gloomy it's difficult to calculate as populations tend to dwell in the sunniest areas in places such as Scandinavia , Norway i would say as a land area but in reality it would be beaten as poplated areas live in the sunnier parts .

So using populated areas only as a guide i would say (ignoring West Africa) and the Faroes ?

1. Iceland
2. Scotland
3. N Ireland
4. Republic Ireland
5. Norway

England is similar to all the other countries i'd say in that typical 1300 - 1900 range (1500-1600 general) , Nederlands,Belgium,Denmark ,Germany ,Poland,CZ Rep etc

Parts of Northern Spain and France deserve a mention too .

Bilbao must be the gloomiest southern city in Europe by some way

Old 09-09-2015, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
Does your map of the world end at the borders of Europe?

Juneau, AK/Prince Rupert, BC less than 1300 hours of sun a year.

Chile and Argentina near Tierra Del Fuego gotta be real low too, Antarctica is the gloomiest place on Earth.

People still live in these places, just as much a Iceland, Northern Scotland or rural Ireland or Norway.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:56 PM

6,504 posts, read 5,144,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCer19 View Post
Does your map of the world end at the borders of Europe?

Juneau, AK/Prince Rupert, BC less than 1300 hours of sun a year.

Chile and Argentina near Tierra Del Fuego gotta be real low too, Antarctica is the gloomiest place on Earth.

People still live in these places, just as much a Iceland, Northern Scotland or rural Ireland or Norway.
Vostok station in Antarctica is sunnier than anywhere in Europe, and probably about 95% of North America...

Old 05-08-2021, 03:33 PM

1,262 posts, read 642,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Isnt USA one of the sunniest??

I mean, USA is super sunny, and the sunniest places in the world are in USA, right??
The US is really a mixed bag. California and Arizona are super sunny. But there are many very gray spots too: Seattle, Portland, Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather