Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

^ yeah, that was a massive storm, I saw nickel sized hail and the power kept going on and off . Thank goodness it finally came back on and stayed on, at least at my house. WTOP is reporting this:

11:50 p.m.: More than 1 million people in the D.C. area are without power.

And more very hot weather coming tomorrow..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Smyrna, Tennessee is currently at 113F. This sets a new daily record (previous record was 101F in 1952), a new monthly record (previously it was 103F in 1954), and a new all-time record high (previous all-time high was 109F). Many places in the region are joining the club of places that set their all-time record highs in June instead of July or August.

Equal in its incredible notoriety, Smyrna is currently the hottest place in the United States east of the Rockies, and is tied for the hottest place in the entire country . Lake Havasu City, Arizona is at 113F as well. Death Valley is at 111F. It's not often that Death Valley offers better weather for me than anywhere in Tennessee.
Ah yes, Smyrna: right next to my hometown. And somehow it's almost always the hottest place in the area. My brother told me it hit 112 in my hometown today. I feel bad for him because he hates heat as much as me, and he originally moved out here with me but had to move back. And of course, the first summer he's back this happens.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Athens, GA set an all-time record high of 109 degrees today, breaking the old record of 108 on July 12, 1930. I was outside at 3PM, and there literally was not a cloud in the sky, not even a wisp of one. The sky was just a milky light blue all around. I took this picture near the local airport:

Tomorrow it's supposed to be just as hot too.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM

811 posts, read 809,789 times
ABC just said Nashville,TN set an all time record of 109
wow
Summer 2012 looks like 1980 & 2000 all over again

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Oh, it's SO HOT in Duluth! About 82 degrees F with 35% relative humidity right now! And it got up to about 88 yesterday!

Anyone want to chime in on the heatwave that is now affecting the Midwest and will soon go eastward? I'm surprised a thread wasn't already created for it. The high was 108 in St. Louis today, which is a bit extraordinary...
For us here in the East, East Coast to be exact, the heat wave has been here for a while. Yesterday it was 96 degrees and today going to be more of the same (June 30th 2012). We tried to work outside yesterday to vac our pool and clean up down there but too hot, going to head down there again this morning. Hopefully it will warm the water up enough to actually have a swim today. Stay cool!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
That derecho was one of the biggest I've seen, in terms of the combined intensity, duration, and distance. It went from parts of Indiana all the way to North Carolina. There was massive damage all across its path along with many reports of hurricane-force winds, the prevailing peak winds being 50-90 mph. The biggest impact even more so than the hundreds of millions of dollars (perhaps 1 billion?) of damage is the absolutely massive power outages. 3 million people are without electricity. I can only imagine how long it will take to resolve this situation given the decrepit state of the American electric grid, and the deprivation, disruption, and misery due to the extreme heat will be as massive as the outages. This event, which is small potatoes compared to many others that have and will occur, highlights the extreme fragility of the power grid.

Below is a video of the derecho passing through Verona, Virginia late last evening. The winds at the weather station were clocked at 56 mph, but to me it looks like it could be higher in the spot this video was taken (which for derechos wouldn't be anything unusual). The temperature hit 100F throughout the entire region the derecho hit, but by the time the winds started the temperature was 90F. That must have been a scorching wind, but temperatures rapidly cooled to the 70's as it passed through. Hypothetically, if such a huge wind gust/cooldown was combined with a strong cold front I imagine that would be extremely refreshing .

Derecho in Verona - YouTube!

More extreme heat is forecast for the area in the post-storm period, so the people without power that have no air conditioning are really going to be suffering today. They need to find someplace that has electricity like a hotel and hole up there until the crisis is over.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Storm damage and power outages stretching from Indiana to the Washington DC area. It will be awful to go without A/C in these parts this weekend. Hopefully it'll be restored as quickly as possible.

We're in the midst of a heatwave, but it's much more benign here compared to the south. Highs generally in the low 90s. Low this morning was 63 F, but as I've pointed out it, it gets cool too late here during the summer and only for a couple of hours. Anyone who went to bed in this area at a normal time would have been dealing with temperatures in the 70s and 80s with high humidity.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Its a disaster in the mid atlantic area.

Millions without power while its going to be 100 degrees today!!
Widespread damage. Water restrictions since water company lost power.

Hundreds of millions in damages from this storm that travelled 800 miles!

It's called a Super Derecho. Worst ever to happen in the u.s.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Nice link to an article on the derecho event:

Midwest and DC Rocked by Derecho - Dan's Wild Wild Science Journal - AGU Blogosphere

What a storm! 60 MPH on average, with wind gusts up to around 100 MPH?

This is probably one for the record books in this part of the nation.

Last edited by Rambler123; 06-30-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

More extreme heat is forecast for the area in the post-storm period, so the people without power that have no air conditioning are really going to be suffering today. They need to find someplace that has electricity like a hotel and hole up there until the crisis is over.
Yeah, my sis and her family are among the affected, in Alexandria, VA. My parents have been trying to get in touch with them this morning, but landlines are down and the mobile phone networks are jammed.

My advice to them would be to drive down to Richmond and bunker down in a motel down there, if there's room to be had. 100+ degrees is NOT something you wanna experience in a stuffy old house with no fans and no breeze...this is gonna be a real tough day for a whole lotta people in the Washington area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather