Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

A pretty close to normal month with precip a little below normal.
Sun hours about 277.

station: Philadelphia pa
month: June
year: 2012
latitude: 39 52 n
longitude: 75 15 w

Av high temp 83.4F
Av low temp 63.7F
dept from normal 0.2
lowest: 52 on 5
highest: 98 on 29

average monthly temp: 73.6

total precip month: 2.94 in
dptr fm normal: -0.49
grtst 24hr 0.99 on 12-12

clear days 4
pt cloudy 24
cloudy 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,613 times
From Corvallis, OR:

Gloom and drip rule another month. Warmer than last year but still about a degree (0.6) below average. Out of 30 days we had 20 of them with measurable rainfall; normal is 7. There wasn't one single fully sunny day and we had complete cloud cover on 25 of them.

I'm begining to sound like Weatherfan2 singing hosanna's about England's recent climate but we're dealing with the same kind of storm track placement the British Isles are and to the same degree. I'm not sure what weather cycle (NAO? AO? Toss o' the dice?) is ruining summers for northwestern Europe but out in my part of the world it's the "negative" or cool/wet half of a 40 to 70 year cycle called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

We're about 5 to 6 years into it now so I am looking forward (perhaps "dreading" would be a better word) to a string of Junes as long as 25 years not much better than this one, and some maybe a whole lot worse.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
From Corvallis, OR:

Gloom and drip rule another month. Warmer than last year but still about a degree (0.6) below average. Out of 30 days we had 20 of them with measurable rainfall; normal is 7. There wasn't one single fully sunny day and we had complete cloud cover on 25 of them.

I'm begining to sound like Weatherfan2 singing hosanna's about England's recent climate but we're dealing with the same kind of storm track placement the British Isles are and to the same degree. I'm not sure what weather cycle (NAO? AO? Toss o' the dice?) is ruining summers for northwestern Europe but out in my part of the world it's the "negative" or cool/wet half of a 40 to 70 year cycle called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

We're about 5 to 6 years into it now so I am looking forward (perhaps "dreading" would be a better word) to a string of Junes as long as 25 years not much better than this one, and some maybe a whole lot worse.
I always knew the Pacific Northwest was the Melbourne of the USA. Crap weather, while everywhere else in the nation basks in glorious summer.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Thanks! I found the template on wiki with sunshine added.

Temperatures and precipitation are average for the half-way point in the year, but sunshine is running 100 hours below normal, almost entirely because of June. The record high would normally be between 28-32C by now, and the record low is impressive (normally it doesn't get below -4C).

Doesn't it? Didn't it go down to -9C in Heathrow as recently as December 2010? Admittedly, such lows have been quite rare in recent years, but going back in time, but I bet January 1982, January 1985, February 1986, January 1987 recorded similar or even lower values...and I'm pretty sure -4C was also surpassed in the minor cold snaps of 1991 (February) and 1997 (January).

What I would say has been impressive are the very low daytime highs or maxima recorded for several days this June (often below 15C). At one point, the high was only 12C in June...!! Now that's pretty unusual.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM

29 posts, read 59,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
From Corvallis, OR:

I worked in Portland for two long years, so I can empathize about the weather there.

It seems to me all places outside of the tropics/polar climates have bouts of nice weather (warm, dry, sunny, etc) and lousy weather (cool, wet, overcast). What the deciding factor for what the long term “average weather” might be on any given day...is the general climate type and the factors that influence it.

The PNW, (like Melbourne and London ), is often in the belt of the stormy westerlies, so clouds, rain, cool temps, damp air, low pressure…etc is never far off. In the PNW, there is only few months that have any real chance of having nice weather when you look at world climates and the prevailing wind and solar belts. The weather in the far Northwestern USA (Seattle, Portland, Eugene,…etc) if often anything but warm and sunny
After I spent a few years in Portland, I was in Atlanta and Washington DC for a year (each). The change to weather that was often sunny, warm, and dry (with quick bouts of HEAVY rain) was quite amazing. This was due (it would seem) to the lower latitude of both Atlanta and Washington, and the fact that they are a further distance from the storm belt for a longer period of time, resulting in more frequent bouts of high pressure, sunshine, warm temps….etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
Doesn't it? Didn't it go down to -9C in Heathrow as recently as December 2010? Admittedly, such lows have been quite rare in recent years, but going back in time, but I bet January 1982, January 1985, February 1986, January 1987 recorded similar or even lower values...and I'm pretty sure -4C was also surpassed in the minor cold snaps of 1991 (February) and 1997 (January).

What I would say has been impressive are the very low daytime highs or maxima recorded for several days this June (often below 15C). At one point, the high was only 12C in June...!! Now that's pretty unusual.
December 2010 was Heathrow's coldest on record, and those months you listed were all extremes, on par with June/Jul 1976, Aug 1995, July 2006 etc. It's strange for a month only slightly below average to get down to -7C.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
I'll figure out the box next month

Littleton, CO, USA:
Lat/Lon: 39.6° N 105.0° W
Elevation: 5880 ft / 1792 m
Avg. HI (75°-84°F) beginning of month to end
Avg. LO (47°-56°F)
avg. precip 2.12 in.

ACTUAL:
AVG HI 88 °F / 31 °C 8°F above average ▲
AVG LO 57 °F / 14 °C 7°F above average ▲
AVG OVERALL TEMP: 73 °F / 23 °C
Hottest Day: 100 °F / 38 °C (23rd,25th)
Coolest Day: 71 °F / 22 °C (20th)
Warmest Night: 66 °F / 19 °C (18th)
Coldest Night: 45 °F / 7 °C (11th)

NUMBER OF DAYS FAIR 8
NUMBER OF DAYS PC 21
NUMBER OF DAYS CLOUDY 1

Dew point: MAX (59 °F / 15 °C) MIN (10 °F / -12 °C)
precip: 2.21 in / 56.1 mm ▲ above average
snow: 0

Days in
100s-2
90s-11
80s-12----AVERAGE LINE------
70s-5

Nights in
60s-10
50s-18-------AVERAGE LINE------
40s-2

From the weather center: "JUNE 2012 WAS THE HOTTEST JUNE IN DENVER SINCE WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN
BACK IN 1872.....RECORD MAXIMUM
TEMPERATURES WERE SET AND TIED ON THE 4TH AND 9TH RESPECTIVELY....RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE SET BOTH ON THE 17TH AND
18TH....A STRETCH OF 5 CONSECUTIVE 100 DEGREE DAYS
OCCURRED FROM THE 22ND THROUGH THE 26TH. THIS WAS ONLY THE THIRD
TIME IN DENVER WEATHER HISTORY IN WHICH THIS HAS HAPPENED. THE OTHER
OCCURRENCES WERE JULY 4TH-8TH 1989 AND JULY 19TH-23RD 2005. IN
ADDITION...EACH OF THE 5 DAYS SET NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES. THE
105 DEGREE READINGS ON THE 25TH AND 26TH ESTABLISHED A NEW ALL TIME
RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE AND TIED DENVER`S
ALL TIME ANNUAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE." Of course, that was Denver, we were a little different at 700 feet higher. 2 days hit 100, last year we had none. The first half of June wasn't too bad with some cool fronts, but the second half had only one cold front on the 20th.

Summary: Way above average temps and above average rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather