Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you grade Chocolate Cake's climate?
A 7 25.00%
B 1 3.57%
C 1 3.57%
D 6 21.43%
F 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times

Advertisements

The name's a parody of Kake, Alaska, which has a relatively similar climate. Snow season is awesome; snow sticks on the ground from December to April, and depth can be up to 30 feet. It's rainy year round with limited sunshine.

As for the location, this city is entirely fictitious but I created a story to it. In 1953, it was settled, and the pioneers found peat in the nearby mountains. The power plant of the city ran on peat refined into low-grade lignite, and peat exportation gave funds for the city to grow. It only grew quickly. By 1979, its population was 50,000, and enough peat was exported to continuously power New York City and Houston, TX combined.

Then, some terrifying news came in. On November 30, 1979, it was announced that the peat was running out, with only a month's supply left to mine. Stockpiles of peat could keep the city powered until early February 1980; the population chose to stay for one final Christmas. In January 1980, a massive exodus made the city fall totally abandoned in just one month.

Today, the incessant rain, high humidity, freeze and thaw cycles, and weight of snow have caused irreparable damage to the city's buildings, with many actually structurally collapsing. Not a single letter remains on signs, the glue holding them having failed many years ago. Windows are broken, interiors of buildings molded out.

But what would you rate the climate of the city while it was operational?

See the attached thumbnail for full climatic data.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate The Fictional Climate - Chocolate Cake-chocolate-cake.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Lol, interesting name.. but this climate ain't so sweet to me..

C anyway.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Yummy name, yummy climate.

I give this a solid "A" grade for massive winter snowfall (winter highs could be colder, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means), low summer temps (ahhhh...coolness in July) and the overall heavy precip all year round, with limited sunshine. As for the city's unfortunate history, let's just say it wasn't entirely abandoned, as I'd be one to stay behind and dismantle the houses and buildings one by one and selling off the harvested materials to the outside world. I'd also use some of the recycled materials to construct a massive greenhouse so I could grow food for myself year round...lol.

Thanks for putting up such a great climate to grade.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
F far too snowy and cold in winter.. yuck!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM

473 posts, read 667,029 times
F. Summer is too cold, winter is too cold, it rains too often, it snows too often, and it is too cloudy.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
A

Great climate and interesting story. Maybe we should start writing out long drawn out histories of our fake climates since we're running out rate the climate ideas.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
The name's a parody of Kake, Alaska, which has a relatively similar climate. Snow season is awesome; snow sticks on the ground from December to April, and depth can be up to 30 feet. It's rainy year round with limited sunshine.
The real Kake only gets about 40 inches of snow a year, and is a good bit warmer in the winter as well.

I give the fictional city of Chocolate Cake a B-, just a bit less than I'd give my town, because they have almost exactly the same climate. Yours has a worse pattern of precipitation, though. We get most of our rain in the fall (which starts forming the snow base up high by early October), but yours has a huge amount of rain in April, which would make breakup really awful and just about wreck what should be the best month for snow sports. It also takes away that first bit of warm sunny weather, which can be really valuable to your mental status after that much winter. Your snow comes on a bit slow, too. Better to have December be a big snow month.

Not sure how you'd get a snow depth of up to 30 feet with less than 30 feet of snowfall, either. We had over 36 feet this last year and set a record snow depth of 100 inches. Even if you could get 30-foot deep snow, it would be a nightmare. That's higher than most houses!

Last edited by tigre79; 07-09-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Whoops, I was reading the averages wrong, winter temperatures are spot on.. and summer's are really pleasant.. so I revise my grade to an A-

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
The real Kake only gets about 40 inches of snow a year, and is a good bit warmer in the winter as well.

I give the fictional city of Chocolate Cake a B-, just a bit less than I'd give my town, because they have almost exactly the same climate. Yours has a worse pattern of precipitation, though. We get most of our rain in the fall (much of which is forming the snow base up high), but yours has a huge amount of rain in April, which would make breakup really awful and just about wreck the best month for snow sports. It also takes away that first bit of warm sunny weather, which can be really valuable to your mental status after that much winter.

Not sure how you'd get a snow depth of up to 30 feet with less than 30 feet of snowfall, either. We had over 36 feet this last year and set a record snow depth of 100 inches. Even if you could get 30-foot deep snow, it would be a nightmare. That's higher than most houses!
The snow average of almost 28 feet means that some years have seen 40 feet of snow. During the "frozen" season (December 15 to March 15) 95% of the snow that falls in Chocolate Cake accumulates continuously, because very few days get above 32 F and warm enough to melt snow.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
The snow average of almost 28 feet means that some years have seen 40 feet of snow. During the "frozen" season (December 15 to March 15) 95% of the snow that falls in Chocolate Cake accumulates continuously, because very few days get above 32 F and warm enough to melt snow.
Yeah, but snow doesn't accumulate like that. It compacts quite a lot. Try these links to see how snowfall and snow depth might be related in a similar climate:

Valdez Weather Service Office, December 2011
Valdez Weather Service Office, January 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather