Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
How do you calculate average precipitation days? Because I want to use it for my table but I can't figure out how to find it.
Pick a state, then station,

SOD USA Climate Archive State Selection Map

scroll down on the bar to the left for "Custom Monthly Listing". Choose "number of days" and "daily precipitation" on the top part, then greater than and then choose a number (for your precipitation threshold to count as a precipitation day) under options. Click on create listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times

January: E. Rubbish, mild and all. A decent anticyclonic spell in the middle and temp drop in the end saves it from an F.
February: C. Cold first half, but Paris was probably one of the worst places in France apart from Brittany and stretches of the south. Very little snow and not even a low below -10°C while places south and west were getting below -15°C.
March: C. Nicely warm, up to 24°C and 8 straight days above 20°C towards the end. Too dry though.
April: D. Quite cloudy and bland, though we had a small heatburst at the end of the month (all weather stations recorded their monthly high that night, some up to 24°C at 2 am).
May: B. Nice, some warm days, some chilly ones. A bit of everything, and decent rainfall totals thanks to thunderstorms.
June: E. Rubbish month. Very cloudy and quite cool compared to what we were accustomed to in the 2000s. The 32°C saves it from an F.
July: D. Ditto. Quite cloudy and uninteresting, but not as extreme sunshine-wise.
August: B. A bit sunnier than average and significantly warmer. A couple 100°F+ highs as well, doesn't happen every year! The downside is that was very dry, but it was less of an issue after the appaling start of the summer.
September: C. Average, nights on the chilly side with a 3°C low. Some decent diurnal ranges, as often in this month.
October: D. Turning cloudy. Nights too warm for decent foliage (was late this year).
November: B. Gloomy and dry. Liked it.
December: E. Started alright, but it quickly turned into a mild, zonal joke. Crappy "winter" month overall.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM

647 posts, read 797,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
April C, May B, September C, October C? What's wrong with those months? The warm up in April is one of the most dramatic I've ever seen, but...?
I've estimated only comfort of the weather (temperature and precipitation), so average high +18.6C is pretty cool for me, but if to estimate the anomaly in April (deviation from normal +5C), I would estimate it as A +, although it was not warmest April for my hometown, according to weather news, main cause of the anomaly was the strong hot wave from Karakum desert.
May had too low precipitation and record low temperature was only +4C.
September was cool and October also had cool weather (but better precipitation).
Just I like warm days (from 23C to 30C), warm nights (from 15C), and of course the good precipitation year round (100 mm per month will be enough) with thunderstorms, even the climate data for Turku looks pretty cold for me.

Last edited by bartonfly; 03-28-2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
You know I never posted the final table for Buxton's 2012 data.

Well here it is.

I rate it an F overall, rubbish year.
OH MY GOD. It looks a bit like a sunnier version of 'Everlasting Joy'. But still those extremely low sunshine hours are absolutely criminal. A new year record perhaps?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
OH MY GOD. It looks a bit like a sunnier version of 'Everlasting Joy'. But still those extremely low sunshine hours are absolutely criminal. A new year record perhaps?
2004 had 1030 hours, 2007+2008 were also duller than 2012.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Yuck. You would skip town immediately if you had the chance, wouldn't you?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Yuck. You would skip town immediately if you had the chance, wouldn't you?
Still working on it...

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM

559 posts, read 748,398 times
Sussex, NJ Weather Summary: 2012

January: B+ good temperatures but could've used some more snow.

February: B- a little too mild which resulted in hardly any snow at all. Pretty disappointing. Well at least it wasn't really cold like this February was.

March: C Record breaking warmth, good thing this didn't happen in April or it would've been upper 80s and 90s for 2 weeks! But it was still too warm for me so early in the year. The kind of temperatures we got would be perfect for July, but there is no way it should be that warm in mid-March. It was also drier than I'd prefer, and again no snow of course, so a disappointing winter snow-wise. I did try to enjoy the month for the most part though, certainly better than the crap we're having this March. Also I didn't like that it made the flowers come early, so my allergies also started early, and all the bugs came early.

April: A- great month. Only 1 day above 80 F, compared to some other recent Aprils which have had 5+ days of 80. I didn't really enjoy the late frosts at the end of the month though, but other than that it was almost perfect.

May: B A little too hot and humid towards the end of the month, but that's to be expected in late May. Overall pretty good month though, if it was a tad cooler it would've been excellent.

June: B+ Another great month except for the heat wave and humidity at the end of the month. Besides that though it was mostly 70s and even a couple of days in the lower 60s! The first half of the month was very enjoyable.

July: D+ Too hot and humid. It was the third hot July in a row and even though there was one much-needed 67 degree day, there were also 11 days of 90+, which was too much for me. At least it wasn't 100 degrees like July 2010 and 2011 though.

August: B- Fortunately August was much cooler than July, with only 3 90+ days and the highest temp was only 91. Pretty enjoyable month for the most part.

September: A Fantastic month! Only 5 days above 80. Can't get much better than that in September where I live. The end of the month was a tad too cool and cloudy, but I'd rather have that than continuous 85+ degrees. Also an interesting month as we had two tornado warnings. Fortunately though there was no tornado reported nearby. Of course I was really surprised by it though, since tornado warnings are very rare here.

October: E but mainly because of Sandy. Without Sandy I probably would've given it a B, but that storm was just a horrible experience to deal with, and it must be factored into my grade. Besides Sandy though the other thing I didn't like is that it was WAY too cloudy! In fact we had about 9 days in a row without any sun in late October and early November! Although it did make for mild nights, which I liked. Also not quite enough 70+ days, there were only 5 of them.

November: D way too cold all month except for a few days of upper 50s and 60s. Also drier than
what I'd prefer.

December: A- Quite an improvement over November. It was mild, but no so mild that it didn't snow like December 2011. Also there was a white Christmas, which we haven't had in quite a while. Good month.

Overall: C+ Not as bad as I thought it would be, and not as bad as last year, but still not ideal. And again the lower grade is especially due to Sandy, but I also didn't enjoy the July heat wave and November cold, and the March heat wave was just too hot too early. However a lot of the months were more comfortable than I thought they would be. Again, not a terrible year, and 2011 was a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather