Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:16 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times

Advertisements

So, something i was writing in other thread gave me this idea. Was looking at a chart of temperatures in Buenos Aires this year from Janary till June, and i thought it could be a good idea to rate it month by month, and also talk about how hot/cold above/below averages our city temps have been this year.

Buenos Aires climate in 2012 so far:

January: Horrible. UBER HOT (and average high of 32c is just pushing it too much, come on!), super sunny, the lows were insane (average low of 21 celsius is just too much too handle ). The hottest days of the year happen this month (a real temp of 39 celsius, that day the absolute low was 28.8!!!), i had the worse headache of my life for those days with those temps, the heat index was always out of control, and we had NO cold/cool/warm days or night to cool off: every single day was hot and sunny, not one day with temps going below 28c. Plus: i had to go through this hell in an apartment with no A/C, with giants windowns full of sun in the morning at one side/sun in the afternoon at the other/sun in the roof (12floor last floor of a building) in the middle, sauna like insaness, having to bear temps of more than 110 f inside EVERY FREAKING DAY. I was also without a fan in the middle of january (mine broke) for like 20 days. This months was the worst month of my life climate wise and an awful experience i never forget. F-.

February: Basically, it was as bad as January, but instead of being super sunny, it was super rainy and humid. Temps were insanely hot as well. The first 20days of february had to be the hottest days on record of any february in history in BA, but the last 10 days redeemed it a bit: the first break from the heat in the whole summer: 10 sunny days with highs in the 25s, lows in the 15s. However, those 20 first days were that horrible, and i had horrible episodes (like fainting, getting heat strokes, going to the hospital) cause of the heat, and the heat index was also wacko going out of control to above 40c temp due to the humidity, that it was overall such a horrible experience, that im gonna rate it with an F. (Those 10 last days save it from a -).

March: I dont remember it as vividly as Jan and Feb, but i know it had to be bad, cause i remember we had a SEVERE coldwave at the end of March that brought temperatures as low as 7 celsius!. Still, even with the coldtwave, temps turn out to be average, so im guessing the first half of march was hot, but surely not as hellish as the two previous months. Still, is a summer month, uncomfortable, and very prone to +30c temps, but it least it had the coldwave, wich was very refreshing after bearing hellish temps since november. Rating: C-.

April: It ended up being an average month in highs and lows, but it had a very curious behaviour. It was very very super uber warm for the first 21 days, actually very uncomfortable, with temps usually in the high 20s, and it even reached 30c (well, 29.9, wich is kinda the same) in april the 7th. So, first 21 days april was awful and very very warm to hot. But the last 10 days of april we had a severe coldwave, wich brought temps to be as low as 4 celsius! (wich is very low for april, in wich averages are 14/24) and had the LOWEST HIGH IN THE LAST 70 YEARS (12.9 high on the 28th). So, it ended being a very crappy month. I mean, we had a very very warm and even hot april, and in the end a very cold one, wich in reality we should have had a more moderate, still warm but moderate month, with nice sunny afternoons and lovely cool nights. The average low for april was almost 1c above average including the heatwave with those 4/5 celsius minimum, so the first 21 days we ve had A LOT of 20celsius night, wich is insanely warm and not something i wanna live when we are well into autumn! Really crappy month: i give it a D.

May: ugh, may was awful!. Basically, we had a May with a 3c ABOVE AVERAGE LOW!!! (wich is insane, actually!) and +1,3c above average high. It was the 6th warmer May in history. Im not surprised. Temps in may ended up being 13.2/20.6 and consider this is a very well into autumn month, so its insanely hot. It was also very humid and very cloudy. We had a record of 11 days without sun, wich is very rare here. Nights were also super hot (hence the 3c above average low). It wasnt as unstable as april: it was actually a very stable/all warm month. If you see the chart, you will see that average low in May (an autumn month, COLDER month than april in theory) was WARMER than april and the record lows for COLDER in april. Thats cause april had a cold spell, and may not only didnt have a cold spell, it didnt even have cool days (maybe one or two), it was a very warm month that made you wonder when the hell is autumn gonna come? (answer: in June, probably). It had one or two nice days in the beggining of the month (means: colder). Anyway: i give May a D-.

June: June was what May should have been: Sunny (actually very sunny!), cool and lovely. The average high for June was warmer than average (no wonder, just like every freacking month) at almost 17 celsius, and we had some 20c+days and even 2 or 3 20c night (wich sucks actually). But, most of the time, June weather was lovely. Did i said it was sunny? It was common to find 10 to 13 celsius sunny day this June. Even 8c sunny days in the cold spell we ve had in the beggining. Nights were lovely, with a couple of crisp 2 or 3 celsius nights, and the humidity wasnt as high as one could have expected in May. It almost didnt rain at all and that was fine. It had a couple of uncomfortable days/nights with temps above 20c and humidity, and for that i rate it with a B +, wich is way better than those other crappy months we had to deal with. Overall a very nice month. I would have rated it with an A if it was colder.

July overall is being wonderful, so i hope it continues that way.

Conclusions:

*all months have been above average, in some cases very much, and specially in the lows.
*year has been overall very sunny with 2 remarkable exceptions (May and Feb, who were also very humid and above average)
*BA doesnt have a real winter and autumn is more like an extended summer. June isnt a reliable month for cold anymore, and May is so warm that its almost warmer than April.
*Clearly winter is my favourite time of the year where i live.

Overall year rating: D.

Veredict: too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

January: C+
Severe lack of snow despite the near average temperature. Rainfall slightly above average. Mini-cool spell near the end of the month was good, with hard frost and frozen lakes.

February: B
Near average temperatures once again, but this time below average rainfall. The end of the month reached 16C, but the first part of the month was cold and snowy, which was good.

March: C-
What can I say? Ridiculously mild! Lacking snow, too dry for my tastes. But, it was a very comfortable month like any other.

April: B+
Temperatures were perfect, rainfall was great, and we had snow early on in the month. But, even I would prefer slightly more sunshine than what we had. Still, not a problem for me.

May: A-
Virtually perfect. Temperatures spot on, sunshine very good, air frost on two nights. My ideal May.

June: B-
Kinda boring, but I loved the rainfall. Would prefer more sunshine, but overall this month wasn't too bad to me.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
This is an interesting one for me as I have lived in two cities this year so will report on each, based on which month I lived in it.

January (Sydney)
Higher rain than normal, less sun than normal, temps about average. 5/10

February (Sydney)
Slight improvement on Jan with better than average sunshine and lower rainfall. 6/10

March (Sydney)
Very wet month with almost double the average rainfall (and March is traditionally a wet month). Sunshien marginally higher than average. 5/10

April (Sydney)
Interesting month. A total of 11 days exceeded 25C (average is 7), marginally higher sunshine but quite a bit more rain although fell on 9 days which is lower than the mean of 11 days. 7/10

May (Brisbane)
Beautiful month. Probably the best month I've experienced in Australia in almost 4 years. Over 250 hours of sun, average high of 24C (optimal in my opinion) and little rain and very settled. 9.5/10

June (Brisbane)
Below par for a Brisbane June which is usually the drabbest time of year. A total of 175 sunshine hours, but 122mm of rain. Also two drab spells - 10 days had < 2 hours sun. 6/10

Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Buxton

January - C milder than average but fairly wet
February - C snow and cold first half then a very mild second half
March - B very mild and properly sunny
April - F very cold, wettest on record, snow, very cloudy and boring
May - D very cool wet and cloudy with one week or warm temperatures at the end
June F terrible, cold, extremely wet and overcast

This is based on how interesting the weather was and how decent or bad the weather was relative to the averages.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times

January: C-
Second hottest January on record, uncomfortably hot month had about 3 heatwaves during the month, we also had a few more storm days and not just our typical monotonous sunshine.

February: B-
Near average temperature wise, remnants of ex-TC Iggy came through early in the month bringing some moderate falls of rain. Similar sunshine to January but more comfortable generally.

Unusually warm March didn't see any cooling off in maximum temperatures, though we started to get some more comfortable sleeping weather. Much too dry and sunny.

April: B+
Much more comfortable temperatures and not so relentlessly sunny though temperatures were still above average, some good falls of rain through the month as well.

May: C-
Received less than half of the average rainfall which was disappointing, on the plus side temperatures were pleasant as is typical for this time of year.

June: B
Quite a mild June with cloud cover dominating and frequent showers. Rainfall still below average though the predominating humid and cloudy conditions made for a nice change and felt like winter had finally arrived...well that's what I thought at the time anyway

Overall mark thus far for the year is a C+ been too warm and dry compared to what you'd expect from the averages, and I'd rather it cooler and wetter than average. At this rate July is looking like it's heading for F territory.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 07-12-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times

January - B
Best winter I've had in years, but the lack of snow depth was a downer. Any snow that fell melted a day or two later thanks to constant warmups. It looked more like winter in the Ohio Valley than Michigan.
February - B-
More of the same.
March - D
That heatwave sucked and really pissed me off after experiencing the downer of a winter.
April - A
Much better. No heatwaves, just nice and cool.
May - B
Still good, though a few spikes of heat kept it from getting an A.
June - C
Great, cool start and crappy, hot end to the month.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
January - B
Best winter I've had in years, but the lack of snow depth was a downer. Any snow that fell melted a day or two later thanks to constant warmups. It looked more like winter in the Ohio Valley than Michigan.
February - B-
More of the same.
March - D
That heatwave sucked and really pissed me off after experiencing the downer of a winter.
April - A
Much better. No heatwaves, just nice and cool.
May - B
Still good, though a few spikes of heat kept it from getting an A.
June - C
Great, cool start and crappy, hot end to the month.
It looks like you need to move north . That chart just goes to show that averages of 37/23F are no friend to winter lovers. Plus, the averages do have kind of a lousy look to them, but I have to agree with April. 61/37F isn't that bad for that month. That March you had wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a March in Charlotte, North Carolina, so now you (sort of) know how that place is like.

Your precipitation pattern is right to my liking so far, with an annualized total of 26 inches. If only that 3 inches in January could have been converted into snow....it could make 30-60 inches.

As for Dunno's averages, that takes "suck" to another level with those winter temperatures, but your summer temperatures have been great. A classic maritime climate, which usually feature either good summers and too-warm winters, or good winters and too-cool summers.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM

473 posts, read 667,291 times
January: C-
To dry, with not enough thunderstorm activity. Some nights were a little cool for summer. I prefer to have no nights below 15C/59F.

February: B+
Much better than January, but I would still prefer more rain and storms. I can't complain though, as the rainfall was close to average for my town.

No thunderstorms this month, which really brings the grade down. Rainfall was not high enough as well.

April: C-
Too dry again, and no storms.

May: C
Still too dry, but there was a weak storm at the start of the month so it gets a better rating than April. The diurnal range of temperatures was a little too much for my liking.

June: B+
The best June in many years, with more than double the average rainfall. If there was a thunderstorm or two, I would upgrade the rating to an A. I would also prefer a little more variety in the temperatures.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate your city climate in 2012 so far (month by month)-2012sofar.png  

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Normal:

2012:

As you can see we are above normal every month, which I like.

Still much to cold for me.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
I see that it's been warmer than usual in Winnipeg this year, but I see a 36F for the June low, which I think was unusually cool. Could you elaborate on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather