Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times

Advertisements

Here in Washington DC the TV Weather Men are terrible unless you live right in the City. They always downplay weather that is going on outside the Center of the City. If there is a storm outside of downtown Washington DC it is ignored. They assume all the people who are watching are living in downtown, where they are.

So, does your TV Weather Man ignore the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:27 PM

172 posts, read 608,890 times
where I live no, they do not. Usually they give weather for the suburbs, heck, Globals morning meteorologists (Mark Madryga) forecast is FOR the suburbs and he says take a few degrees off (or add a couple) if by the coast.....so that is nice

Old 08-17-2007, 03:45 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Our meteorologists are hit and miss. The only thing they're truly been accurate about lately is the drought and the heat :P

Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
no they do not. Thank goodness. They cover a large amount of territory, by this I mean several towns. They focus on where the bad weather is hitting when it is stormy outside. I am also able to email them and they will respond pretty rapidly which I like if my direct tv is messing up.

Our tv station covers towns and rural areas and they have established a network of spotters all over their coverge area, thus, not only can they get instant radar, but can have an eye on the storm with these spotters. There are many storm spotter classes here during the spring and many people do take advantage of these classes and go.

We are also urged to send in photos of damage or storms in progress which makes them an evern more community friendly weather team.

I consider my area very lucky to have such a great team in place.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,861 times
Mine is pretty good about coverage in other areas, though when they say "we" they are still referring to the Salt Lake City area generally. "We'll see temperatures around 95 today, but in St. George it'll be a sizzling 110!" Notice the we for Salt Lake City. But I think it's a common mistake and shouldn't really be dwelled on.

However, since it forecasts for the whole state of Utah, if they didn't report on other areas they'd get eaten alive. But generally, I don't feel like they do it because they feel like they need to, I feel like they do it because they actually care about the weather that's going on out there. Sometimes they still focus a bit too much on the city itself, but generally they do a good job of reporting outside of the city.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Here in Washington DC the TV Weather Men are terrible unless you live right in the City. They always downplay weather that is going on outside the Center of the City. If there is a storm outside of downtown Washington DC it is ignored. They assume all the people who are watching are living in downtown, where they are.

So, does your TV Weather Man ignore the suburbs?
Oh believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about. I live in a Butler county suburb just north of Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located. And there have been times in the past when we had a strong storm come through, with lightning and hail - but the local mets ignore us. As soon as it crosses into Warren County, or maybe Hamilton County, they're all over it issuing their "Severe Thunderstorm Warnings". Well, HELLLLLLOOOOOO - apparently the people in Butler County are somehow less worthy of being warned of severe weather. Like we're expendable somehow.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
If a storm hasn't hit the central city first, it will be ignored until it reaches their studios.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times
All of Austin's local weather broadcasts include outlying areas. They usually talk about "our viewing area" which generally includes a region the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined. So... I'd have to say we don't have the "center city" problem here.

I'm surprised to learn that ANY city would have such a focus on the central city, given that viewers might be concentrated heavily in outlying areas. It doesn't make sense from the point of view of advertising and ratings. The job of every news broadcast and weather forecast is to generate revenue for the corporation that owns the station (even though they tell you how much it's all for your own good), so it doesn't make sense to focus only on the inner city.

This is very interesting, Dingler, because I've never heard anyone complain about this anywhere else. But DC is a unique little world so I shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens there.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
My local meteorologists don't have that problem but I live in Connecticut. Drive in any direction from anywhere in the state and in (max) two hours you will be in RI, Mass., or NY. It is just too tiny to overlook any area, there would be no excuse for it.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:23 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,604 times
I miss Mark Mathis doing the weather in Charlotte, he was really something!!! Made you watch the news, I'll give him that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather