Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Here is I found not bad site that gives average temperatures and average precipitation by country (also for the provinces in some countries).
Climatebase.ru -
For Leeds they use the data for Leeds Weather Centre between 1986 and 2003.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Here is I found not bad site that gives average temperatures and average precipitation by country (also for the provinces in some countries).
Climatebase.ru -
Thanks a lot. Great website. I like the fact that you can have climatic averages based on data from 2000. It shows how the climate of a given place was 'recently'.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Alaska's annual average temperature is definitely colder than Mongolia. Mongolia and Russia both have large swaths of areas that get very hot summers.

-In response to the reference to Yakutsk, in the Alaska map posted below, the region circled in blue has no official weather stations. Nevertheless, the closest outlying station have, in most years, averaged winter's minimums that are colder than Yakutsk. The coldest air mass in North America during the wintertime always pool around Northeastern Alaska and the adjacent area on the Canadian side. The same area laid claim to USA's record low of -80, and Canada's low of -81. With that said, I am certain that there is a spot somewhere within this region that can rival the cold of Oymyakon . Also, we can't forget that the coldest spot in the Northern Hemisphere in the wintertime is the summit of Mt. McKinley!
Interesting. It's a much smaller area than the Dfd climates of Russia, but it seems that that is a nexus for extreme cold. If only we had more weather stations.

According to Deneb's ranks, the coldest sovereign countries are:

Canada 3.1
Finland 2.6
Mongolia 0.5
Russia 0.1

With the average of 0.3C Alaska would be the second-coldest sovereign country, if it was independent. With the -3C average, it would actually be the coldest country in the world.

Consequently, it would also be the world's only country where the average spot has permafrost (by virtue of its subfreezing annual average) .

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Well done and an interesting list.

Of course, just as you say, the number of weather stations (NWS reporting sites) must greatly affect the ranking I would think. Like the distance between Louisiana and Florida appear to be much closer than they really are. In that even New Orleans (likely the warmest station in Louisiana) is only just as warm as the cities in far north Florida. This might be because of the greater number of reporting stations in north and central Florida, and the fewer number of reporting stations in south Florida. The might also be the case of California being below states like Arkansas, they fewer stations in the Great Valley of CA and SOCAL, don’t balance out the greater number of stations Arkansas.
I would have expected them to do some area weighting so having extra stations in one area affects the average only slightly. The datasets that combine weather stations to create a global temperature mean (GISS, HadCrut, etc) all some version of this, as some parts of the world are much better covered with weather stations than others.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 AM

473 posts, read 666,723 times
Quote:
Climatebase.ru -
Unfortunately, that site is very inaccurate for Australia. The average rainfall for most of the Queensland places is far too low. My guess is that those averages are for only about 10 years of record. Also, the averages on that site for "Carvarvon Gorge" in Queensland, are actually the averages for the town of Carnarvon in Western Australia!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Alaska's annual average temperature is definitely colder than Mongolia. Mongolia and Russia both have large swaths of areas that get very hot summers.
-In response to the reference to Yakutsk, in the Alaska map posted below, the region circled in blue has no official weather stations. Nevertheless, the closest outlying station have, in most years, averaged winter's minimums that are colder than Yakutsk. The coldest air mass in North America during the wintertime always pool around Northeastern Alaska and the adjacent area on the Canadian side. The same area laid claim to USA's record low of -80, and Canada's low of -81. With that said, I am certain that there is a spot somewhere within this region that can rival the cold of Oymyakon . Also, we can't forget that the coldest spot in the Northern Hemisphere in the wintertime is the summit of Mt. McKinley!
I would think the Yukon's Mt. Logan would have a case for coldest place in the northern hemisphere as well - it's not that much shorter than Denali, and it's more inland in the main continental landmass, not to mention similar in latitude.

Speaking of uncovered freezing areas, Russia, particularly the northern parts of the Far East of Russia, has plenty of areas without weather stations too (the Kolyma River area for instance) where it could get far colder than inhabited towns like Oymkayon. -80s in centigrade take places in such areas.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Interesting. It's a much smaller area than the Dfd climates of Russia, but it seems that that is a nexus for extreme cold. If only we had more weather stations.

According to Deneb's ranks, the coldest sovereign countries are:

Canada 3.1
Finland 2.6
Mongolia 0.5
Russia 0.1

With the average of 0.3C Alaska would be the second-coldest sovereign country, if it was independent. With the -3C average, it would actually be the coldest country in the world.

Consequently, it would also be the world's only country where the average spot has permafrost (by virtue of its subfreezing annual average) .

Russia's average is like that because it has some Meditarranean (or is it subtropical?) places like Sochi and the Black Sea coast, and also the Caspian Sea coast which can add a few degrees or fractions thereof to the official temperature. But if you take that out, I think it can match Alaska's -3C or come really close.

And if you deduct the entire European Russia and just keep Siberia and Far East Russia (while including stations in places like the Kolyma River area and other similar areas), I think Alaska will be blown out the water in terms of average temperature in the year in terms of coldness.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Hmmm. The map is good for small countries but not large countries. Especially the USA. No point in even comparing them with anywhere else.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:39 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Very interesting...

Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
For large countries like USA it does not really show anything, as there are so many different climates.

It is interesting though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather