U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM

2,702 posts, read 5,593,605 times

Advertisements

Yup. I was there in August and it was 17°C and overcast...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,379,355 times
The 3061 hours reading is from the sunniest part of the city. The cloudiest part of the city is likely more similar to Eureka than 3061 hours. Supposedly, climate has a bit of an effect on neighborhood desirability.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 AM

4,445 posts, read 9,450,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Bizarre to see San Francisco on the list. Know it has microclimates, but it definitely didn't feel sunny when I was there.
I've often said that too...but locals in the Bay area tell me that their is a great variation to what areas of the city see alot of sun and what areas see far less. It seems strange that a place with a often cool and foggy conditions just offshore gets that many hrs of sunshine. Perhaps the NWS reporting station is in one of these microclimates. Still, in the several trips I made to the central coast, the sun always seemed to appear as I was moving southward just around Santa Cruz...along with all the surfers - lol.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I've often said that too...but locals in the Bay area tell me that their is a great variation to what areas of the city see alot of sun and what areas see far less. It seems strange that a place with a often cool and foggy conditions just offshore gets that many hrs of sunshine. Perhaps the NWS reporting station is in one of these microclimates. Still, in the several trips I made to the central coast, the sun always seemed to appear as I was moving southward just around Santa Cruz...along with all the surfers - lol.
The other issue is that the foggiest/cloudiest areas have a sunshine minimum in the summer, so if you visit in the summer they appear cloudier than they really are. But once you get out of the "fog belt" sunshine (except in early morning / late evening) is mostly a given in the warmer months. Neat to have a climate where the cloudiness is concentrated at or near nighttime.

Time I was on the North Coast of California (early June) I saw a decent amount of sunshine during the day but every night was cloudy. Horrible place for an observatory.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 AM

10,669 posts, read 14,210,655 times
I'm going to San Francisco next week. Curious to see if their summers live up to their foggy reputation and how the sunshine and temp compare with a Vancouver summer. Any idea what part of SF the reporting station that gets 3061 hours is in? Is it the airport?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm going to San Francisco next week. Curious to see if their summers live up to their foggy reputation and how the sunshine and temp compare with a Vancouver summer. Any idea what part of SF the reporting station that gets 3061 hours is in? Is it the airport?
Mission Dolores (Mission District), just south of Downtown. Interesting historic site (mission church where the city started from in Spanish / Mexican times). It's on the east side of the city far from the ocean plus hills block the fog. Last place to get fog, first place for fog to get it. The airport is outside of the city limits, also east of the hills, but the hills are taller and completely block the fog, a good choice in siting an airport.

The coast by the Cliff House of San Francisco has some cool bluffs you can walk down to the ocean, but the weather is often cool and cloudy, barely more than 60°F.

In contrast, Eureka's airport was built by the military to test flying in foggy conditions, so they picked the foggiest possible site in the area. Now it's for civillian use, but the locals are stuck for the poor site.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM

838 posts, read 2,487,114 times
Interesting that I haven't seen any South American cities on the lists. (Unless I have skipped some).

The city of San Juan, Argentina, has a population of 471,000 including the metro area, and according to this site: http://hitchwiki.org/es/San_Juan_(Argentina), it has a daily average of 9 hours of sun, which gives a total of 3240 hours annually. I don't know how reliable that site is, and the fact that Mendoza (just some 150 miles south) has 2589 hours makes me wonder about the accuracy of the data. Anyway, at least San Juan should deserve an honorable mention in South America. I don't think it has less than 2800 hours.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,574,583 times
If SF on the list shouldn't San Jose be on the list? More to the point, shouldn't Sacramento and Fresno be on the list?

Where's Riyadh, Mecca, Medina, Aden, Amman?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,574,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Either a typo or trollolol bullcrap.
I was wondering myself then I googled it and found it was in the Netherlands ANTILLES.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM

5,593 posts, read 7,172,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
It seems strange that a place with a often cool and foggy conditions just offshore gets that many hrs of sunshine. Perhaps the NWS reporting station is in one of these microclimates.
Sun can often shine through fog. In the probably 100+ fogs that I've encountered in my lifetime, I've seen only one or two that could block out sunshine. These would probably be more common in San Francisco, but I imagine most of the time it wouldn't block out the sunshine, and you still have the rest of the day for the sun to shine continuously. Downtown is also the primary place that gets these fogs. Other parts of the city don't get as much or intense of a fog as downtown. As far as I know, the NWS station is in Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather