U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,121,303 times

Advertisements

This morning on TWC, they were talking about a brownish-reddish foam that was on some of the Florida beaches. Is this the same thing as red tide? I was totally unfamiliar with this until someone on the Fla. forum was bringing it to our attention a while back. The poster had lost his Mom to it so he provided links about it for those of us who didn't know what it was. It seems it can be fatal for older or weaker people, especially those who have had pneumonia or lung problems. They were advising people to stay out of the water. Is this what they're referring to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,244,504 times
Yes.

I hear that one of Alabama's sports teams is named after this, the "Crimson Tide."

It can happen on any part of the U.S. coast but seems to be most common in the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:36 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,096,271 times
I delt a lot with red tide when I lived in Naples FL (gulf coast).. We would have warnings to not go near the beach and stay out of water, for very extended periods of time. sometimes months (evidently they chose to keep that tidbit out of the vacation commercials I see on tv!) You didn't have to go near the beach to feel the effects though. The breeze blows the allergens into the land and causes you to have watery eyes, itchy red eyes, wheeze, burn your throat and mouth, cough, sneeze etc. Many people ended up at docs offices or hospital because it can trigger asthma attacks and severe allergies. It kills all the fish and makes the town smell like deal nasty fish till its gone. You can also die if you eat fish or seafood that has been exposed to redtide. I do believe a 7 year old child died just a couple of months ago doing this..

Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,156,332 times
I wonder if that is why so many of us here in the Norther part of MS got sick after Hurricane Katrina? Seriously, especially those of us with allergies, but many without as well were sick for months in and out of the doc office. They labeled the mystery upper respitory infection 'the katrina bug'.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I wonder if that is why so many of us here in the Norther part of MS got sick after Hurricane Katrina? Seriously, especially those of us with allergies, but many without as well were sick for months in and out of the doc office. They labeled the mystery upper respitory infection 'the katrina bug'.
I thought red tides were only a problem in the oceans.

Perhaps there were a lot more molds and bugs in northern MS after the storm which could have triggered that?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,335,950 times
I was in Florida several years ago and Red Tide was so bad that no one could even go on the beach. The smell is awful because of the dead fish. Everyone we met in that area became very ill.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM

5,931 posts, read 16,723,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yes.

I hear that one of Alabama's sports teams is named after this, the "Crimson Tide."

It can happen on any part of the U.S. coast but seems to be most common in the Gulf of Mexico.
LOL! Clever!
Actually the name dates to 1907 and came about because of a game played in the red mud. Details here: Crimson Tide - RollTide.com—The Official Web site of University of Alabama Athletics! (http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239530 - broken link)

Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
LOL! Clever!
Actually the name dates to 1907 and came about because of a game played in the red mud. Details here: Crimson Tide - RollTide.com—The Official Web site of University of Alabama Athletics! (http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239530 - broken link)
I had no idea. Thanks for the link.
I honestly thought that a place like Alabama might name a team after something weird like that.
No offence, I like a lot of the quirkiness often found in the southern U.S.

I was a bit surprised, since if it meant the red algae blooms, it'd be like calling a team "pond scum."

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM

13,394 posts, read 42,194,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I do believe a 7 year old child died just a couple of months ago doing this..
He was 5, and it was in the Phillipines.
Red tide can happen lots of different places.
You should not eat shellfish during a red tide--but sometimes you don't know it's there until too late.
We have red tide right now, though with the nor'easter churning offshore it might clear out. The red tide has been here about a week. I don't know anyone, including myself, that is very ill--we live a mile away from the beach.
Certainly those who upper respiratory problems should stay off the shoreline.
I saw lots of dead fish on the shore, and my throat was scratchy and my dog was sneezing. We haven't really smelled anything, but two years ago when we were living in Port St Joe, I did smell the red tide (or its deceased fish) for about a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather