Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:39 AM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 889,305 times

Advertisements

lightning map (real time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
lightning map (real time)
Good site. Looks like it's a spinoff of Blitzortung, which I still prefer.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I can't get it to work on my smartphone, will it only work on a PC/Laptop?
What are you trying to retrieve? The site works on my smartphone. Choose "desktop view" on the smart phone. Should be under the phone menu while on the site. That post was from 2012 so not sure if those steps still are good. Haven't checked.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 AM

Check this out.. If you ever need to retrieve official observations from official stations across the globe, use this.. Pretty cool and interesting.

NOAA/NCDC/Daily Global Climate Data Online - Select Area=

1. Click link, agree to terms. You'll then get to this page.

I chose North America

A list of all stations come up! (Loading can be slow if there are a lot)

I chose Montreal

Next page looks like this. Enter the dates you want. I randomly chose June 1-3, 2014. Check off you're not a robot.

Next page provides a link to the text data. Click it.

Whalah. Results. Max temp June 2, 2014 was 84.4° there in Montreal.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Precip & Snow Total Reports - CoCoRaHS

A nice way to see how much precip fell near you is through the cocorahs network. Maybe one day you can become a volunteer as well.

The main climo airport sites wont be on there. This is a 24hr 7am to 7am total from manual readings of rain gauges (its easier to empty and look at a rain gauge at 6-8am rather than midnight but you can do midnight to midnight or multiple reports if you want)

Click this link CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network

You'll see 2 maps.. I like the Classic map for some reason.. Click on the map.

This is what you'll see.. All the rain reports from this morning. There's a lot of volunteers out there but notice there are some empty spots still. And even if you are around others that report, you'll want to take a closer look ...

lets click on North Carolina since it looks like they had a wet day yesterday...

Without looking at the radar past 24hrs I can see where the heaviest thunderstorms or rain was...

You can get an even closer look by clicking on any county...

Lets click on that one.

WOW.. As we know, rainfall is not uniform... You might get an inch of rain in your backyard but down the road much less. And we know town to town can vary as well. Take a look

That area got over 1 inch of rain while just to the south only 1/4" or less! Pretty cool to see!!

Case in point if you become a volunteer, don't worry there are others around you , it will help confirm more what fell plus you can see the differences.

If you want to see the totals by cities and text Click "View Data" at the top. You might have to be logged in? Not sure but you should see a page like this...

Click on "Daily Precip Reports"

You'll come to a page like this

You can change dates, states, sort by county, see which location had the most precip, ect.

Looks like 3.62" was the most in the state happened in Zebulon. Remember, this is yesterday morning to this morning (7am-7am).

Let me know if you have any questions. Lastly ..remember, organizations look at the CoCoRaHS reports including National Hurricane Centers, River Hydrologists, Mosquito control, drought monitor, ect.

In fact, are you familiar with this site? 50% of the 2011 snow reports came through CoCoRaHS network.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A nice way to see how much precip fell near you is through the cocorahs network. Maybe one day you can become a volunteer as well.

The main climo airport sites wont be on there. This is a 24hr 7am to 7am total from manual readings of rain gauges (its easier to empty and look at a rain gauge at 6-8am rather than midnight but you can do midnight to midnight or multiple reports if you want)

Click this link CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network

You'll see 2 maps.. I like the Classic map for some reason.. Click on the map.

This is what you'll see.. All the rain reports from this morning. There's a lot of volunteers out there but notice there are some empty spots still. And even if you are around others that report, you'll want to take a closer look ...

lets click on North Carolina since it looks like they had a wet day yesterday...

Without looking at the radar past 24hrs I can see where the heaviest thunderstorms or rain was...

You can get an even closer look by clicking on any county...

Lets click on that one.

WOW.. As we know, rainfall is not uniform... You might get an inch of rain in your backyard but down the road much less. And we know town to town can vary as well. Take a look

That area got over 1 inch of rain while just to the south only 1/4" or less! Pretty cool to see!!

Case in point if you become a volunteer, don't worry there are others around you , it will help confirm more what fell plus you can see the differences.

If you want to see the totals by cities and text Click "View Data" at the top. You might have to be logged in? Not sure but you should see a page like this...

Click on "Daily Precip Reports"

You'll come to a page like this

You can change dates, states, sort by county, see which location had the most precip, ect.

Looks like 3.62" was the most in the state happened in Zebulon. Remember, this is yesterday morning to this morning (7am-7am).

Let me know if you have any questions. Lastly ..remember, organizations look at the CoCoRaHS reports including National Hurricane Centers, River Hydrologists, Mosquito control, drought monitor, ect.

In fact, are you familiar with this site? 50% of the 2011 snow reports came through CoCoRaHS network.
So the most rain fell in my area! Very interesting. Great link, keep them coming because I am trying to fill up a folder in my computer with lots of weather links.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:05 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
https://twitter.com/Chigeorge72/stat...00131371507712

Old 10-20-2016, 06:17 AM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 889,305 times
Hey thanks.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
I was just about to start a thread in order to ask about this. It's a shame that there doesn't really seem to be any good comprehensive sources for the UK.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:51 AM

Default Retrieving Dew Point Extremes

How to get dew point data for available NWS sites which have been sending up balloons twice a day. I believe all records shown are from 1950 only. But a cool and easy site to view data from the locations. Also an awesome graph.

Lets begin...

Step 1. Click this link. Upper-Air Climatology

Step 2. Click the link shown here.

Step 3. Click on a station from the map. (These are all the National Weather Service offices which send those balloons up)

I'll randomly choose Pittsburg for this.

Step 4: Click on a parameter . This time we'll choose dewpoints. You can view 850mb temp or whatever you want.

Step 5. View the results.

Put your cursor over the map to see the data for that day. In this case, Pittsburgh's lowest dewpoint on record is -24°F which happened on an evening of January 17th. Normal is 20°F. I'm not sure how to retrieve the year it happened yet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather