Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Here in eastern Connecticut, the average is about 43" a winter. Last year it was half that amount. We are currently suffering from a drought here (35% Below yearly average for precip)
Same here. Much of the nation has been experiencing a drought this year, along with extremely-hot temperatures. A town near me hit 93 degrees today---I think that's a new record for the entire state of PA to get so warm this late in the year. With our average first snowfall just a month away, people around here are wondering "Where is Fall?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
According to another site,where I lived most of my years in NW Pa. in the snowbelt we got 117 inches a year.

Here in SC maybe 2 inches.
And to think we had our sites on Florida but instead next Sunday we are going to Minnesota to check out areas to relocate to. We must be crazy..lol

Last edited by Jammie; 10-09-2007 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: competitor mentioned

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Here in Dallas we don't see much. Usually a couple of ice storms a year with a little snow mixed in. My son was 4 years old before he had probably seen an inch of snow. (He was 15 before he saw several inches and that was when he went with our youth group skiing in Breckenridge, Colorado!) The roads can get pretty nasty down here when we do get precip because we are not as prepared to deal with it as northern areas where it is typical...and we are not as experienced driving on it either!

Some areas of Texas do get more snow than D/FW. When we lived in Lubbock out in the Panhandle of Texas, the year before we left we got 10 inches one week-end and 18 inches a couple weeks later. So... it does snow in Texas but not so much in Dallas.

How much does your area usually see? How frequently? Do you like it or not?
less than an inch.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
Here in Vancouver, BC, Canada (that's right, Canada) we get maybe a day or two of snow every year, if that. Usually it's not cold enough to snow. We do get a ton of rain in the winter though, which is why we're technically classified as being in a rainforest zone.

When it does snow, the entire city shuts down because we don't have the infrastructure (the snow-removal trucks) to deal with it. Drivers also don't get snow tires here, so most people stop driving all together. The snow, when it falls, tends to be that really slushy, wet snow - difficult to drive in. The good news is that it often melts a few days after it falls and it's gone until next year.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
Snow is foreign to San Antonio

Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Snow?! Hahahaha... Actually, the last time in snowed in the L.A. area was back in 1989 if I remember correctly. I was living in the high desert, and couldn't go to work (oh, darn!).
I remember that storm. Everything north of the Newhall Pass was gridlocked (Santa Clarita, Antelope Valley, etc.). At the time, I lived in Tujunga, CA, and we didn't get any snow. I worked in Sylmar, where we had about three inches. I was one of the few who made it to work that day (about 8 or 10 out of 40 made it in), but we pretty much just played outside in the snow for the first couple of hours.

Where I live now, we don't get a consistent amount of snow. This past winter (the driest I can remember), we had less than a foot of snow through the whole season. The year before that, we had six to eight feet for the season. I would say that two to three feet is pretty close to "normal," if there is such a thing.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I remember that storm. Everything north of the Newhall Pass was gridlocked (Santa Clarita, Antelope Valley, etc.). At the time, I lived in Tujunga, CA, and we didn't get any snow. I worked in Sylmar, where we had about three inches. I was one of the few who made it to work that day (about 8 or 10 out of 40 made it in), but we pretty much just played outside in the snow for the first couple of hours.

Where I live now, we don't get a consistent amount of snow. This past winter (the driest I can remember), we had less than a foot of snow through the whole season. The year before that, we had six to eight feet for the season. I would say that two to three feet is pretty close to "normal," if there is such a thing.
I also remember that storm. My kids were little then. We got to make a snowman out in front of our apt complex. We are in the Santa Clarita Valley, soon to be moving to NH. Lately we are lucky to get a few rain drops out here. It is ridiculous how dry it is. So we are off to the east coast for a change of well, everything.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I also remember that storm. My kids were little then. We got to make a snowman out in front of our apt complex. We are in the Santa Clarita Valley, soon to be moving to NH. Lately we are lucky to get a few rain drops out here. It is ridiculous how dry it is. So we are off to the east coast for a change of well, everything.
I am only about 35 miles north of Santa Clarita. It really is a shame how little precipitation we received this past year. I'm glad to see that we are at least getting a little drizzle from time to time.

About five or six years ago, Bakersfield (400' elev.) received a freak snowstorm that dumped about six inches of snow on the town overnight. When everyone there woke up the next morning, they were all in for a shock! Most everyone stayed home that day, just so they could play in the snow. Where I live (5300' elev.), we only received about three inches from that same storm!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
none what so ever. if i want snow ill drive a few hours to the sierra nevada to see it.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
None zilch....zero......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather