Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 5 15.15%
B 11 33.33%
C 6 18.18%
D 7 21.21%
F 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times

Advertisements

I don't understand your hissy fit over this. Under the Koeppen system, it is a subtropical climate*. That's all that the OP said - it is a fact that his system considers it subtropical. He made absolutely no statement at all about whether objectively it is subtropical or not, or whether it is subtropical under any other system. Despite that we still get attacked for it.

Informing us that in Koeppen's view it is subtropical in and of itself says absolutely nothing about whether that view is objectively valid. I'll guarantee you one thing, Flight Simmer and company: if any of you ever post a climate that has a daily mean of, say, 4C, and you say it's continental under your system or under Trewartha's system, you will never receive any sort of vitriol from me. That's different from claiming that it is continental in an objective sense - I would contest that point, though not viciously. I wish I could say the same for you when it comes to views you don't agree with.

*Not exactly. It's right on the border (-3C) between the subtropical Cfa climate and the continental Dfa climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
this is damn close to an ideal climate for me, especially if they get ample rainfall with a lush, forested environment. Perhaps just a bit on the cool side. I'd like to see warmer high temperatures in March and April, but still much better than anywhere I've lived.

Actually after giving it another look it's a bit on the cool side overall... need it a bit warmer than 81 in the summer, but I could tolerate it as long as there's ample sunshine and it's not overly cloudy.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I don't understand your hissy fit over this.
What hissy fit? The average person's definition of subtropical is a hissy fit to ya?

Quote:
Under the Koeppen system, it is a subtropical climate*. That's all that the OP said - it is a fact that his system considers it subtropical. He made absolutely no statement at all about whether objectively it is subtropical or not, or whether it is subtropical under any other system. Despite that we still get attacked for it.
And that my friend makes it a pathetic system. Anyone that considers a central European climate to be subtropical, in the same sense as Brisbane, Florida etc deserves to be attacked and frankly is asking for it.

Quote:
Informing us that in Koeppen's view it is subtropical in and of itself says absolutely nothing about whether that view is objectively valid. I'll guarantee you one thing, Flight Simmer and company: if any of you ever post a climate that has a daily mean of, say, 4C, and you say it's continental under your system or under Trewartha's system, you will never receive any sort of vitriol from me. That's different from claiming that it is continental in an objective sense - I would contest that point, though not viciously. I wish I could say the same for you when it comes to views you don't agree with.

*Not exactly. It's right on the border (-3C) between the subtropical Cfa climate and the continental Dfa climate.
Oh so I'm being vicious now because I disagree with you and your messiah. Well, I do apologise for considering somewhere that is cold enough to receive SNOW for 5 MONTHS of the year to be far from subtropical. You may consider it vitriol, but anyone with common sense will see it as facts. But you are a sheep following his deity which is unfortunate as you simply cannot see how generalised and flawed this Vodka guzzler's climate classification system really is.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM

I think you proved all of my points. Thanks for your assistance.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Quote:
That's all that the OP said - it is a fact that his system considers it subtropical. He made absolutely no statement at all about whether objectively it is subtropical or not, or whether it is subtropical under any other system. Despite that we still get attacked for it.

In that case, WTF is the point in some self proclaimed climatic big shot like that trying to get his definitions written in climate textbooks if he can't even come up with a remotely objective definition of "subtropical" that would actually make sense to someone who's skull isn't filled with their own crap, several pounds of fat, asbestos flakes, fluff and sawdust? Confusing ignorant masses, via textbook, into thinking somewhere with 456 days air frost a year can be subtropical is tantamount to puerile shameless deception.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 AM

I do think it is the best definition myself, but my point here is that a statement of fact like "under the Koeppen system this is subtropical" doesn't make any claims as to the validity of that system. Even when it's wrote in a neutral point of view like that we're accused of thinking that Koeppen is the climatological Jesus. Such hostility is unreasonable.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Koeppen and his definitions, it could be argued then, have no more credibility than someone like me coming along and getting my definitions published in a textbook and encyclopedias et al.. Maybe this fella had a degree or something but that alone isn't a ticket to automatic credibility, the system should have reason and logic and largely appears to lack either one.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I think you proved all of my points. Thanks for your assistance.
No dramas bro. Seeing as you've run out of come-backs, I think you've proved all of my points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
In that case, WTF is the point in some self proclaimed climatic big shot like that trying to get his definitions written in climate textbooks if he can't even come up with a remotely objective definition of "subtropical" that would actually make sense to someone who's skull isn't filled with their own crap, several pounds of fat, asbestos flakes, fluff and sawdust? Confusing ignorant masses, via textbook, into thinking somewhere with 456 days air frost a year can be subtropical is tantamount to puerile shameless deception.
lol well put! Dont forget the vodka, he was russian after all I suspect he was on his third bottle when he came up with his definitions for "subtropical".

Quote:
I do think it is the best definition myself, but my point here is that a statement of fact like "under the Koeppen system this is subtropical" doesn't make any claims as to the validity of that system. Even when it's wrote in a neutral point of view like that we're accused of thinking that Koeppen is the climatological Jesus. Such hostility is unreasonable.
If you don't think he is Jesus, then why are you defending his crack pot definition of "subtropical"? WHY? You can expect flak and abuse if you are on the "central Europe = Florida" bandwagon. Honestly now

Go up to the average Florida resident or Brisbanite and tell them that Chicago or Vienna is subtropical, you'd be lucky if all you got was a big laughing at or a spit in the face.

Last edited by Flight Simmer; 08-11-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Vienna and almost none of central Europe counts as subtropical according to Koppen. People are getting to fixated on the label attached to the climate classification type, Cfa. There would be little bickering if the thread was titled "rate the Cfa climate". I agree the Cfa category is too broad and doesn't really fit the common conception of subtropical. The Deep South is one of the best prototypes for a Cfa climates. If a poster choses to use the Koppen system the category is what it is.

Hot summer temperate is a better label for Cfa.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Vienna and almost none of central Europe counts as subtropical according to Koppen. People are getting to fixated on the label attached to the climate classification type, Cfa. There would be little bickering if the thread was titled "rate the Cfa climate". I agree the Cfa category is too broad and doesn't really fit the common conception of subtropical. The Deep South is one of the best prototypes for a Cfa climates. If a poster choses to use the Koppen system the category is what it is.

Hot summer temperate is a better label for Cfa.
Vienna is actually warmer than this climate that is so-called "subtropical". Koppen, and PM, you fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather