Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 5 15.15%
B 11 33.33%
C 6 18.18%
D 7 21.21%
F 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Rate the climate, which falls under the Coppen Cwa classification of "Subtropical Humid Climate with No Defined Dry Season"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Subtropical my arse. D.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Agree with Weatherfan2.

I actually rate this higher than where I am now. A-

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
lol subtropic my hairy nads. It's more subarctic than subtropical

D+ for the acceptable summers.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
Under Köppen's climate classification, this is a subtropical climate but just barely. Look it up.

Winters are just warm enough to qualify as C instead of D and summers are just warm enough to qualify as A instead of B. It's Cfa not Cwa by the way.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Under Köppen's climate classification, this is a subtropical climate but just barely. Look it up.

Winters are just warm enough to qualify as C instead of D and summers are just warm enough to qualify as A instead of B. It's Cfa not Cwa by the way.
I don't care about Koppen or his classification system. It's not a be-all end-all bible. 5 months of the year with a high below 10C and low under freezing? Is that subtropical?

Any place that gets winters that cold is not subtropical. Absolutely ludicrous to place a climate similar to central Europe in the same bag as the likes of Brisbane, Florida etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Create your own classification system called 'Flight Simmer system' or something, and place every single climate on earth in whatever you consider it. I'm sure you'll be placing Melbourne under the polar variety.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Hmm... good one, tvdxer. This is a great example climate showing the faults of Koeppen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

Yeah, I know. It's right at the edges for 4 different zones, so it's about as subtropical as it is oceanic or continental really. (It's firmly continental under Trewartha though) Regardless, I don't have too many problems with it. Snow depth data would be good though. I would downgrade it to a B+ or B if it's lower than here.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Create your own classification system called 'Flight Simmer system' or something, and place every single climate on earth in whatever you consider it. I'm sure you'll be placing Melbourne under the polar variety.

Once again, common sense is being ganged up on by a bunch of blind sheep.

I'm sorry if it is impossible to grasp the concept that a place with lows under freezing for 5 months of the year is not subtropical. But, clearly it is, as Koppen and his very generalised magical climate rating system says so, right?

Brisbane is subtropical. Florida is subtropical. Sao Paulo is subtropical. This is not. Cold enough to snow for 1/3rd of the year, winter highs barely above freezing, sub-zero lows for a good 5 months and anemic summers to boot. If this is subtropical, then what is Melbourne with its 15C warmer winters? Full blown equatorial eh?

No sorry, this climate has nothing subtropical about it, despite what your disciple says.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
"Humid subtropical" has a definition, and that definition was defined by Koeppen as a climate featuring at least one month with a mean temperature of at least 22C and no months with mean temperatures below -3C. This climate fits that definition.

This particular city experiences an average of 120-130 days below freezing and 5 days with sub-0F minima, with an average growing season starting in late April and lasting until early to mid October.

Snowfall generally accumulates for about three or four weeks at the most during an average winter, but that varies greatly. In warmer winters, there is little snow and it does not stay on the ground for long. In colder winters, there can be consistent snow cover for up to two months at a time. Winters in this city are practically defined by constant freeze-thaw cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather