Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Might as well post this here too after the CT thread gave me the idea to check...

Here's how the season looks for the past 10 years combined as far as temperature departure from normal.

Many areas are above normal from September through November on average. Northern Tier well above.

While there could be a below normal October, the entire fall is warmer than normal on average.
Kinda shocked at this result, but I'm not bias so I thought I'd post this finding.
US climate division data plots
This just verifies what I've known for years. The autumns have been very warm for as long as I can remember and I've lived in different parts of the country. I'm not shocked at all, I found about the same thing for annual temps the past 30 years. It's just getting warmer, that's all there is to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
This just verifies what I've known for years. The autumns have been very warm for as long as I can remember and I've lived in different parts of the country. I'm not shocked at all, I found about the same thing for annual temps the past 30 years. It's just getting warmer, that's all there is to it.

And here's Winter.

Remember... Don't

because there's always

Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Gfs still going for -8c uppers end of October. I hope it happens and if so I cannot wait I haven't seen snow in months!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
And here's Winter.

Remember... Don't

because there's always

I live close to the Rocky Mountain National Park. There are hundreds of thousands of dead trees, killed by the Pine Bark Beetles who now breed twice a year instead of once, because of decades of warm winters....who would disagree with your maps.

If that is cherry-picking, then so be it. There is also a huge lake in Loveland that is no longer a lake because of years of above normal temperatures and no rain. I don't think these are isolated incidences.

I know that personal testimony is not evidence, but I've been on this planet fourscore -15 years and it is my observation that it is warmer now that it was when I was a child. Plant hardiness zones are marching northward and the plants and animals are not impressed by our debate.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM

You can't ignore consistancy here. Wow! 18z also now. This could be one of those good old fashion snowstorms. Model continues to show what would be at least 45mph wind gusts and blizzard conditions for someone in the Northern Plains/Upper MidWest. This should be fun to track.. Lets see if they continue to show it.

Does anyone have any stats from that area on earliest or largest snow total for October there?

Winter Weather Flights might be busy this winter.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM

Slow moving upper level low..

Quiz:

What happens when you have 850mb winds push North while storms are bulldozing East?

Answer: Spin in atmosphere. Hence why Tornado warnings are coming out down south past few hours.

Expect a soaking rain in the Northeast Friday. GFS clears it Saturday morning. Euro Saturday evening,.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
You can't ignore consistancy here. Wow! 18z also now. This could be one of those good old fashion snowstorms. Model continues to show what would be at least 45mph wind gusts and blizzard conditions for someone in the Northern Plains/Upper MidWest. This should be fun to track.. Lets see if they continue to show it.

Does anyone have any stats from that area on earliest or largest snow total for October there?

The highest monthly snow total for October for the UND/Grand Forks NWS site is 10.9 inches in 2001. 10.8 inches fell during the Oct 24th blizzard 2001. Nasty one.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:

12z Canadian GEM has it as well at its 168 hr sfc map...a bit earlier in time than the GFS.

GEM-GLB : Panels

Data from the meteocentre site goes out further than available via weatheroffice.gc.ca site

Dan

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM

234 posts, read 214,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
The highest monthly snow total for October for the UND/Grand Forks NWS site is 10.9 inches in 2001. 10.8 inches fell during the Oct 24th blizzard 2001. Nasty one.

I went to our county website and they started keeping snowfall records in 1938 and the highest snowfall for October for our county was the Winter 1962-63 with 18".

Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 AM

Current OBS from around the area. Loving these 30s in the morning. I'm at 39 right now. Upper 30s right over the NY border but low 50s for NYC. lol

CITY SKY/WX TMP
• DANBURY,CT - CLEAR 36°
• HARTFORD,CT - FOG 41°
• BRIDGEPORT,CT - CLEAR 45 °
• WHITE PLAINS,NY - CLEAR 43°
• NEW YORK CITY - CLEAR 51°
• BOSTON,MA - CLEAR 46°
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather