Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times

Advertisements

Ok thanks.

I don't think i'll bother as there is no station close to me that would have similar minimums (they are all right on the coast) and it would take me several hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Why does it sound awful??
Because if you're an actual weather enthusiast (i.e you enthuse about the weather), Portsmouth is about as interesting as a sack of moldy potatoes. If you enjoy mild and sunny weather, I guess it's great, but I'd rather not.

Lincolnshire would be the greatest location in the UK with regards to climate, it is a thunderstorm hotspot and doesn't fare too badly for winter snowfalls.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
No Aberdeenshire would be

Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
We only record a few sub zero nights in an average winter, with the first usually around Christmas time.
We don't get severe frosts though, even during the last few cold winter I only recorded as low as -2.5C & locally it only dropped to -4.9C at a weather station a couple of miles away...

The average minimums during December/January/February in Portsmouth are 6.0C/5.2C/4.4C respectively (Figures are from the now closed Met Office weather station at Southsea) but my own minimums average a little higher as I'm located in a more built up area than where the weather station used to be. The record low from that weather station is -8.0C (from 1890-2006).
That really is mild. Is it warm enough to grow potatoes during winter?

Winter minimums are 3-4C colder here, with 29 air frosts a year. Hardiness zones in the region vary between 8 and 10a.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Because if you're an actual weather enthusiast (i.e you enthuse about the weather), Portsmouth is about as interesting as a sack of moldy potatoes. If you enjoy mild and sunny weather, I guess it's great, but I'd rather not.

Lincolnshire would be the greatest location in the UK with regards to climate, it is a thunderstorm hotspot and doesn't fare too badly for winter snowfalls.
Well I am a weather enthusiast & there is plenty of interesting weather here! We may not get much snow or real cold temperatures, but we do get lots of stormy weather in the winter, with gales & the like & also some good thunder storms imported from the continent in the summer. Besides you don't have to travel that far inland during the winter to get snowfall, the highest point of the south downs is only about 10 miles north of Portsmouth, so we are close enough to go & find snowfall even if there isn't much or any here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That really is mild. Is it warm enough to grow potatoes during winter?

Winter minimums are 3-4C colder here, with 29 air frosts a year. Hardiness zones in the region vary between 8 and 10a.
I can't say I have ever tried to grow potatoes during the winter (or summer for that matter) But I have a lemon bush in my garden & a house in Portsmouth has a fruiting grapefruit in their back garden which was featured on the local news a few years back. I also have Japanese banana plants which fruit every year, although the small fruits are inedible...

Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Well I am a weather enthusiast & there is plenty of interesting weather here! We may not get much snow or real cold temperatures, but we do get lots of stormy weather in the winter, with gales & the like & also some good thunder storms imported from the continent in the summer. Besides you don't have to travel that far inland during the winter to get snowfall, the highest point of the south downs is only about 10 miles north of Portsmouth, so we are close enough to go & find snowfall even if there isn't much or any here
Heh yeah, I think my original comment was unnecessary! I love stormy weather too, and Portsmouth appears to be a rather wet place in winter, like most of the south coast away from Kent.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Heh yeah, I think my original comment was unnecessary! I love stormy weather too, and Portsmouth appears to be a rather wet place in winter, like most of the south coast away from Kent.
Yes we certainly get more rain during the winter than during the summer, the south coast is apparently the only part of the country that sees such a difference...

I love wet & windy weather, especially sat down on the seafront in the car

Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Would a general weather enthusiast find interesting weather in Portsmouth? Sure, there are oceanic storms that come in. But that's about all that a climate like that has to offer. If you want any kind of cold weather or snow you're out of luck in Portsmouth, and really you're out of luck anywhere in southern England. Besides being a general weather enthusiast I am also a winter weather enthusiast, a cold-lover, and a heat-hater, and for me my enthusiasm for winter weather comes first.

I will say that all of us who like both winter weather and weather in general can agree that we seek out a climate that has both a winter and interesting weather in general. It's not as if you have to pick one or the other - as a matter of fact most cities that get a winter also have the more interesting climates.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 PM

For the full spectrum, I don't think Portsmouth would fit the bill, no, and I doubt anywhere in England would, or anywhere in the British Isles for that matter.

Though personally, the south coast is essentially a no-go zone for interesting weather. The lack of snow and cold weather is a deal-breaker already, considering this places can record multiple snowless winters in a single decade.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 PM

559 posts, read 748,067 times
Today was the 10TH CLOUDY DAY IN A ROW. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I've almost forgotten what sunshine looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather