Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of leaves are changing earlier than usual here and it's odd since the weather is still in summer mode. No drought or notably cool nights to explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
A lot of leaves are changing here and it's odd since the weather is still very summery. No drought or notably cool nights to explain it.
I've noticed some color changing too, last week I saw multiple trees (of one species) with redish tips already, a few other trees seem to be shedding leaves. Most trees look normal though.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 PM

559 posts, read 748,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It seems like a lot of leaves are changing earlier than usual here and it's odd since the weather is still in summer mode. No drought or notably cool nights to explain it.
I've seen it as well, even when it was still August. Actually there's not one, but TWO trees in my backyard that are almost completely barren!!! And there's also a wholeee lot of leaves on the ground already. I'm not sure how, but I think that it must have something to do with possibly the mild, snowless winter and hot March. Maybe if the leaves come early, they go early...?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
I've seen it as well, even when it was still August. Actually there's not one, but TWO trees in my backyard that are almost completely barren!!! And there's also a wholeee lot of leaves on the ground already. I'm not sure how, but I think that it must have something to do with possibly the mild, snowless winter and hot March. Maybe if the leaves come early, they go early...?
Interesting. So what would happen if you transplanted a tree from NJ to Florida? Would it still shed its leaves?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
First coolish days next week

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
The weather certainly isn't fall-like here (95F/36C today) but the foliage is really progressing probably because it hasn't rained since mid July. I've never seen much colour on the trees here this early in September. Also I've been hearing and seeing Canadian geese since mid August. Despite the hot weather they've been here most of the summer, which is a first for me.
If they leaves only started changing here proper a few weeks ago at 55n how can the leaves be changing at 44n? I think alot of people exaggerate their local conditions to a climate that they are not in.

Are you sure its just not a few trees that are starting to change? That happened around 1st of august here, right now around 40% of the trees have changed. Theres some beautiful colours this year, alot of red ones.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Interesting. So what would happen if you transplanted a tree from NJ to Florida? Would it still shed its leaves?
I heard that a few trees actually do shed leaves in florida but not until like the end of november and apparently they don't change colour they just go brown and drop off.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I heard that a few trees actually do shed leaves in florida but not until like the end of november and apparently they don't change colour they just go brown and drop off.
Actually some of the maples that grow in southern Florida hold their leaves until January and re-leaf about a month later, so it's possible to see "fall color" in January and "springtime" just a few weeks later.

As a child, I can remember seeing a stand of ash (?) trees being stripped bare in August by a pest infestation, only to see those trees re-leaf in September and remain green well into December, when freezing temps finally burned them off...lol. This was in North Carolina, at latitude 36 N.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 AM

I suppose it depends on the tree type. I dunno but I would expect that florida would be the last place that trees would change colour and shed their leaves. Sunlight is just too long and strong in the winter anywhere south of that.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,913 times
Speaking of colored leaves, I find there's an especially nice contrast when snow falls before leaves have completely dropped off:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather