Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Freezing rain is something I have never experienced, or have any memories of experiencing. I recall one night after the Dec 2010 cold spell, I think it was early Jan, and we were forecast snow, it was 1C, and I hoped it would snow.. but it poured with rain. 1C and pouring rain. That is really horrible.

Uppers are really important when it comes to snowfall, as well as dew points and intensity of the rain. If the rain is heavy enough, it may allow for evaporative cooling.
Freezing rain is more common than snow in areas like the Mid-South in the USA. The deal is that in the winter Continental and Arctic air masses commonly occupy this area. Snow, however, is hard to develop as that when the moisture arrives so does the warm air. A very common scenario is to have below freezing temperatures at the surface, but temps slightly above freezing in the air just above. Snow falls, but melts to rain, only to freeze on the surface below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
There would be freezing rain here maybe once or twice a year and snow here is rare. Fortunately it doesn't last more than a few minutes, but even that long can make for very slippery surfaces for a short time.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM

234 posts, read 214,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There would be freezing rain here maybe once or twice a year and snow here is rare. Fortunately it doesn't last more than a few minutes, but even that long can make for very slippery surfaces for a short time.

Wanted to add this picture of an ice mess we had from northern Indiana where I use to live. This was too frequent and I hated it every time. I'd rather drive on snow any day versus trying to deal with ice.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMoose View Post
Wanted to add this picture of an ice mess we had from northern Indiana where I use to live. This was too frequent and I hated it every time. I'd rather drive on snow any day versus trying to deal with ice.

That does look nasty, I wouldn't fancy driving in it. It doesn't get that bad here fortunately, but I have seen it like that inland from here on rare occasions.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Do you get freezing rain at times? When a warm front come by after some below average temps, you hope for some transient snow and all you get is rain even though it's -2°C. Dangerous on top of that.
I've read about rain at -10°C in Quebec.
Rarely. Even in 2010 we didn't get any. Usually the temperature rises straight away. Like last night it was 2c and as soon as the rain started the temp was up and by 12 it was 8c, it's 12c now. I think it's because we are an island so the wind can just blow the air in, but in America they are far from the sea.

It is common to rain at really low temperatures because the dew points are never low enough. It's not like we don't get loads of days with snow temps. Like you have no idea how critical the dew point is, often it can be 3c and raining but as soon as the dew point drops below 0c it snows

Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Your climate is really weird you can get freezing rain but no snow. Freezing rain occurs when the uppers are WARMER than the surface. You must get alot of inversions.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Your climate is really weird you can get freezing rain but no snow. Freezing rain occurs when the uppers are WARMER than the surface. You must get alot of inversions.
Inversions are common during winter, with still and clear conditions quite common. Winter smog levels are high by world standards. Often in Nelson, clear winter days have an LA look, with dry looking, but snowcapped mountains rising above the smog.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Current temps in the NorthEast... That 22 in CT is Danbury. Normal low is low 30s. Pretty impressive to see 20s show up on a continuing basis around the Northeast and into CT. Pretty cool stuff. Notice the cut off point though. Its warm southern NJ southwards.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Default Ski Resorts Opening Thanksgiving Weekend

It's been cold enough in New England that Ski Reports are opening up. In the past they werent able to do this because of warm temps.

A list of Ski Resorts that will open this weekend November 23-26 in New England.

Cold temperatures have snow guns blazing at ski resorts across the Northeast, and the ability to create snow at a more efficient rate than in the past. While a handful of areas, including Sunday River, Killington, and Okemo, remain open, the weather has allowed other ski areas to open in advance of their anticipated dates.

•Bretton Woods and Loon Mountain Resort, both slated to open over Thanksgiving weekend.

•Killington, the first resort in New England to open for the season, has top-to-bottom skiing on 13 trails and two lifts. Skiing is on primarily, ungroomed terrain.

•Sunday River continues to make snow, and currently has six trails and one lift running in Newry, Maine. The resort plans to open the Barker Mountain Express and have at least 11 trails open for the weekend.

•Stowe will run its FourRunner quad this weekend, and plans to have four miles of skiing and riding ready in addition to a few terrain features set up at its Fifth Avenue terrain park.

•Sugarbush opens on Saturday, and hopes to have a top-to-bottom route ready, though some downloading may be necessary

•Waterville Valley is planning a Saturday opening, weather depending.

•Jiminy Peak was able to open last weekend, but its status for this weekend is currently up in the air as the resort makes snow. Stay tuned for details

•As long as temperatures stay cold enough for increased snowmaking, Sugarloaf plans to re-open on Friday

(picture is of Sugarbush in Vermont) There is a couple inches of real snow above 3000 feet in the Adirondaks that never melted from weeks ago.
More resorts opening for the season - The Ski Guru Blog

Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
The big travel day (the day before Thanksgiving) looks great in much of the USA....sunny, dry, and seasoanable temps:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather