Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Maybe people feel more honest on C-D? I do think weather nerds and people who love being inside in general prefer cold weather though. But even I sometimes catch myself referring to sunny hot weather as 'nice weather', not because I think it's nice weather but because it's so commonly referred to as nice weather in parlance.
Actually there are more cold lover here than heat lovers, as the polls seem to suggest. Of course definitions of who is a hot or cold lover vary.

Personally, I'm not a heat lover but I can tolerate a few hot days here and there. Admittedly, I've never really experienced true scorching heat - the kind found in places like Death Valley or the Middle East. But here in the Northeast, hot weather can be uncomfortable but at the same time nothing to freak out about.

Also people who hate sweating probably never exercise vigorously, go to the gym or run outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post

Also people who hate sweating probably never exercise vigorously, go to the gym or run outside.
Huh? That doesn't really make any sense.

I'm in pretty good shape and spend practically the entire summer outside. No matter what, I still sweat like a pig.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
What a ridiculous comment. Sweating has nothing to do with physical fitness! I sweat when it's 75F!

Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,279 times
I don't mind sweating in the gym or when exercising outside because it's on my terms. I know can freshen up immediately after.

In hot weather, the main cause for agony is knowing that it won't end. Luckily here nights are usually cool even during heat waves but in the record-breaking summers of 2010 and 2011 heat didn't relent for months. You keep hoping for any kind of respite and it just doesn't happen. There is basically no AC here as normal average temperature in summer is 15°C (59°F). In 2010 it was 27°C (81°F) for a few weeks, completely unheard of.

Last edited by Hiromant; 08-18-2012 at 02:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
I don't mind sweating in the gym or when exercising outside because it's on my terms. I know can freshen up immediately after.

In hot weather, the main cause for agony is knowing that it won't end.
Precisely. I actually do like to exercise vigorously. That's one of the reasons I hate hot weather so much in the first place, because it prevents me from exercising. If I dare to do anything more than lifting a finger when it's above 80F a film of sweat develops and I get very overheated and sick, a condition not conducive to either exercise or physical fitness in general.

I much prefer exercising in cool/cold weather and in cool indoor environments, because I sweat a lot less that way. As a matter of fact I exercised fairly vigorously in a 63F room recently and I didn't sweat at all. I do work up a lot of body heat anytime I exert myself, though, which is why it is essential that I be able to vent it out, which is a great feeling. After I've been exerting myself, I feel tired but better, whereas after I've exerted myself in heat I just feel sick.

As someone else here said, if I want to sweat out toxins I'll go in a steam room. I don't want to live in one.

And I agree with sweating having nothing (or not much) to do with physical fitness. The sweatiest years coincide with the fattest ones for me.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
I don't know what it's like to enjoy hot weather now because it's such a long time since I experienced it. Infact it was in July 2007 when I went to Rome where it reach 30°C and I haven't seen anything near that since in the UK.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
I'd rather have heat than snow ...

It's supposed to be a terrible Winter for NJ this coming year- I read, "Above average snowfall expected for NJ". That completely, totally, absolutely SUCKS !! I hate shoveling. Soon as I finish school, and get my degree, I'm leaving the North East. It's my personal promise and #1 goal.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 AM

633 posts, read 1,734,707 times
i enjoy hot weather with an ice cold glass of chardonnay in my medium hot bathtub :-)

Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Huh? That doesn't really make any sense.

I'm in pretty good shape and spend practically the entire summer outside. No matter what, I still sweat like a pig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
What a ridiculous comment. Sweating has nothing to do with physical fitness! I sweat when it's 75F!
You hate sweating. Sweating is an unavoidable part of exercise. Ergo, you probably hate exercising. Also, if you exercise often enough, then sweating should be something that you experience often and thus get used to.

I didn't mean to imply that people who exercise sweat less. Everyone sweats. Although one could make the case that out of shape people sweat more than average.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
I know for a fact that fat people have sweat in their rolls of fat where the skin touches itself. Even when they aren't moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather