Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

For entertainment value, there's a thread on Arctic sea ice in the Politics forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-ice-melt.html

most of the dummies have little interest in weather or climate; they just spew talking points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
For entertainment value, there's a thread on Arctic sea ice in the Politics forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-ice-melt.html

most of the dummies have little interest in weather or climate; they just spew talking points.

I'm hoping that we get some decent ice up there this winter. Maybe if we can lock up all the cold over the North Pole all winter will do the trick. We can get some good ice cover there, as well as give us down lower a mild winter. That would be a win-win for me.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Meanwhile, the temperatures above the 80th parallel are finally taking a dive. Sure, they're still well above normal, but they're plunging for the first time so far this season.

Also, although it doesn't exactly belong in this thread, it should be noted that Antarctic ice is nearing record highs. The current ice extent is the 2nd highest on record, and it still has a ways to go before reaching the maximum:

There isn't all that much news about the Arctic sea ice. The stabilization is continuing, and it looks like there's a small uptick for the first time in this season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm hoping that we get some decent ice up there this winter. Maybe if we can lock up all the cold over the North Pole all winter will do the trick. We can get some good ice cover there, as well as give us down lower a mild winter. That would be a win-win for me.
Or maybe we can get the cold down to lower latitudes so that the sea ice can reach new areas, all the while keeping the blocking benign enough to allow for growth in higher latitudes. That would be a win-win for me, and it did happen in years past (1960's/70's, Little Ice Age). The ideal way to grow sea ice is to have cold everywhere. That's how glacial periods lock in.

Besides, the cold being all bottled up in this past winter didn't seem to help the ice much. The 2010-11 ice season had a near-normal maximum (like 2011-12) and had a higher minimum extent, and there was plenty of cold and snow to go around during that winter.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Besides, the cold being all bottled up in this past winter didn't seem to help the ice much. The 2010-11 ice season had a near-normal maximum (like 2011-12) and had a higher minimum extent, and there was plenty of cold and snow to go around during that winter.
It helped the ice during the winter. I think the reason it didn't last was that it wasn't very thick.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
There ‘could’ be more Antarctic melt worries | Watts Up With That?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM

From the NSDIC, refreeze has started. I updated my graph of the melt rate taking an average of 5 days:

The lowest value (again with a 5 day running mean; average over current day and 4 days previous) was 3.41 million kilometers on Sep 16 and 17. Looks like your prediction was under:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
According to the NSIDC dataset, the melt curve has begun to ever-so-slightly bend. We'll have to see if this becomes a trend going further into September. If I may make a prediction, I think the minimum this year will be around 3 000 000 square kilometers, plus or minus 250 000. We'll see if I'm right. Any other predictions?
Mine was closer, but partly because I was confused and thought the current numbers were higher than they were. Fun watching while it lasted! Refreeze should be interesting.

Last edited by nei; 09-21-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Rutgers climate researcher Jennifer Francis thinks it's making our weather more extreme by making the jet stream more wavy...

That makes complete sense!

Shrinking Arctic ice and the wicked backlash on our weather - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

"As temperatures over the Arctic Ocean fall with the approach of winter, the extra energy that was absorbed during summer must be released back into the atmosphere before the water can cool to freezing temperatures. Essentially, this loads the atmosphere with a new source of energy—one that affects weather patterns, both locally and on a larger scale."

Makes complete sense. I agree 100%.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Agree as well. Let's keep an eye on jet stream / atmospheric wave patterns for the next few months to see how the prediction pans out.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Here's an encouraging article about the possible effects of the reduced ice cap this coming winter, at least in Central New York:

A warm Arctic summer might bring colder winter weather to CNY | syracuse.com

If this turns out to be true, I might just have to make a return trip up there to catch me a good snow.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Here's an encouraging article about the possible effects of the reduced ice cap this coming winter, at least in Central New York:

A warm Arctic summer might bring colder winter weather to CNY | syracuse.com

If this turns out to be true, I might just have to make a return trip up there to catch me a good snow.
Oh, I thought you were making a permanent move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather