Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which classification system do you prefer?
Köppen-Geiger 32 43.24%
Trewartha 27 36.49%
Neither 15 20.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,840,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I was reminded of this post/thread when looking through this site Oh, for a warm temperate climate! (long post)

Interesting to get the perspective of a Brookings local, and keen gardner at that.

Most of the plant species mentioned, are ones that grow here without difficulty.

Interesting read, but am having a hard time figuring out what type of climate they mean exactly. Warm temperate is subtropical, no? It seems to me the person writing was describing a highland tropical climate, particularly the quote about this warm temperate climate existing on the Big Island of Hawaii, but I find their description of warm temperate rather conflicted.

This quote from the post confused me: "Some warm temperate climates are essentially frost-free. Others can get surprising cold on occasion into the mid to low twenties, perhaps even the upper teens. But winter sun and warm summer rain ensure that soil temperatures never fall below 60F for very long something found on the West Coast only within about 100 miles of the Mexican border.
Think of the horticultural possibilities (without even watering much in the summer)"..........Who needs the subtropics?"

This blogger seems to say that warm temperate is not subtropical, something I find very confusing. Soil temps going below 60f happen the entire winter in coastal S. California, hence no coconut palms. I very much doubt your soil temps stay above 60f given your climate. This site for Wellington shows soil temps are below 60f from late April until late September, almost half the year. The climate this person is referencing is not the climate you live in, or am I missing something?

Shandon Golf Club » Greater Wellington Regional Council

I don't see the distinction between warm temperate and subtropical. Highland Hawaii is subtropical for sure. Northern New Zealand is sub-tropical. The Atherton tableland of Australia has a rainfall minima, so they can't mean evenly distributed rainfall all year.

I find the post totally confusing climate wise. Are they describing a Med climate with the rainfall season reversed? Or just any warm climate with summer rainfall?

btw, I looked up some of those plants and according to the web are listed as zone 10a to 11, which is quite a bit warmer than where you are. So either those plants are more cold hardy, or you live in a climate like Miami, lol. I'll bet there are people growing all those plants and more somewhere on the west coast of the US. Given the temp profile of where you are, many areas on the US west coast are warmer in winter. If you look at Brookings, OR compared to Wellington, NZ, they are almost identical temp wise.

I'm curious why those plants grow in your area, with winter minimum temps in the 20'sf, and not Brookings, Eureka, San Francisco, San Rafael, San Jose, etc? You always seemed to state that summer warmth doesn't matter as much as winter cold. Well Brookings is warmer than where you are. If it is irrigation that is needed (such as San Rafael), that would also be needed in many of the other warm temperate climates mentioned such as Atherton, AU as they have seasons with minimal rainfall, but warm temps.

To be honest, I'm just not sure exactly what type of climate they are decribing here. Places on the east coast of NC are warm temperate, and the winter low gets down into the upper teens, low 20's on occasion, so that climate described does exist in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 AM

22,219 posts, read 21,473,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Interesting read, but am having a hard time figuring out what type of climate they mean exactly. Warm temperate is subtropical, no? It seems to me the person writing was describing a highland tropical climate, particularly the quote about this warm temperate climate existing on the Big Island of Hawaii, but I find their description of warm temperate rather conflicted.

This quote from the post confused me: "Some warm temperate climates are essentially frost-free. Others can get surprising cold on occasion into the mid to low twenties, perhaps even the upper teens. But winter sun and warm summer rain ensure that soil temperatures never fall below 60F for very long something found on the West Coast only within about 100 miles of the Mexican border.
Think of the horticultural possibilities (without even watering much in the summer)"..........Who needs the subtropics?"

This blogger seems to say that warm temperate is not subtropical, something I find very confusing. Soil temps going below 60f happen the entire winter in coastal S. California, hence no coconut palms. I very much doubt your soil temps stay above 60f given your climate. This site for Wellington shows soil temps are below 60f from late April until late September, almost half the year. The climate this person is referencing is not the climate you live in, or am I missing something?

Shandon Golf Club » Greater Wellington Regional Council

I don't see the distinction between warm temperate and subtropical. Highland Hawaii is subtropical for sure. Northern New Zealand is sub-tropical. The Atherton tableland of Australia has a rainfall minima, so they can't mean evenly distributed rainfall all year.

I find the post totally confusing climate wise. Are they describing a Med climate with the rainfall season reversed? Or just any warm climate with summer rainfall?

btw, I looked up some of those plants and according to the web are listed as zone 10a to 11, which is quite a bit warmer than where you are. So either those plants are more cold hardy, or you live in a climate like Miami, lol. I'll bet there are people growing all those plants and more somewhere on the west coast of the US. Given the temp profile of where you are, many areas on the US west coast are warmer in winter. If you look at Brookings, OR compared to Wellington, NZ, they are almost identical temp wise.

I'm curious why those plants grow in your area, with winter minimum temps in the 20'sf, and not Brookings, Eureka, San Francisco, San Rafael, San Jose, etc? You always seemed to state that summer warmth doesn't matter as much as winter cold. Well Brookings is warmer than where you are. If it is irrigation that is needed (such as San Rafael), that would also be needed in many of the other warm temperate climates mentioned such as Atherton, AU as they have seasons with minimal rainfall, but warm temps.

To be honest, I'm just not sure exactly what type of climate they are decribing here. Places on the east coast of NC are warm temperate, and the winter low gets down into the upper teens, low 20's on occasion, so that climate described does exist in the US.
I think warm temperate is a vague term, although it has been used in NZ to describe the top half of the North Island, which is noticeably warmer than here. It seems to be a term used in Australia as well.

I did say most of those plants grow here, rather than all of them. Certainly all of the palms listed would grow in S.F and San Jose. I am also curious as to why those palms don't grow in Brookings, when they do grow here. My feeling is that Brookings is a similar climate to the South Island west coast, which which is Oceanic in the truest meaning of the word- fully exposed to strong coastal winds, and far more moderated by the sea. That is a double edged sword -warmer minimums/colder maximums. Quite different to here, which while coastal, is a sheltered, rather than exposed coast. Still conditions, with reasonable sunshine hours, are typical winter conditions, and which plants love. Winter rain is generally a warm weather event, and plants respond quickly to it.

About half of the coastal zone around here is a 10a, which while having warmer minimums than the flatter inhabited areas, does not translate into a climate able to support more tender species. Among areas that have minimums only separated by a few degrees, it is the extra heat that makes makes the difference.

One more point, is that I don't pay too much attention to zones. If a plant thrives, that is all that matters.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,958,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
One more point, is that I don't pay too much attention to zones. If a plant thrives, that is all that matters.
Indeed. No matter how accurate they may be overall, zones are never a perfect, clear-cut delineator for all plants.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 AM

233 posts, read 330,894 times
ve some discrepancies. I do not think that the Trewartha classification made some crucial updates. I think it did a good job making WA and OR have another climate classification than CA. But still it didn't solve the many other problems, especially in Western Europe or lets say the problem of Istanbul. While Koeppen classified it as Cfa, Trewartha downgraded it to a Csa. On Wikipedia, they say it is a borderline climate, Turkey considers it as a Marmara transitional climate between humid oceanic and mediterranean, in Germany, Istanbul is regarded as having a See climate (oceanic)...I do not understand what is wrong with all this. What I disagree with the current classification schemes is the fact that the number of precipitation days is disregarded in the study. Even if a city has less than 30mm precipitation in any summer month but with a decent number of precipitation days, it is so far classified as Csa. I disagree with it for the fact that 5 to 7 precipitation days in summer (e.g. Portland, Istanbul) makes a big difference with 0 or 1 precipitation day (eg. LA, Athens, Beirut). Why is Portland a Cf and Istanbul a Cs, although Istanbul has in all its summer months a precipitation amount greater than 30 mm per month. Due to heavy urbanization and climate change, it seems it is raining much less in summer, so I think this was the reason for changing the classification.
All this needs to be looked up again. I hope they will come up very soon with a very meticulous and more detailed classification scheme that would solve those contradictions and ambiguities and take into consideration climate change.
I vote neither. Still, I think the Koeppen- Geiger is still better than the Trewartha.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,473,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
ve some discrepancies. I do not think that the Trewartha classification made some crucial updates. I think it did a good job making WA and OR have another climate classification than CA. But still it didn't solve the many other problems, especially in Western Europe or lets say the problem of Istanbul. While Koeppen classified it as Cfa, Trewartha downgraded it to a Csa. On Wikipedia, they say it is a borderline climate, Turkey considers it as a Marmara transitional climate between humid oceanic and mediterranean, in Germany, Istanbul is regarded as having a See climate (oceanic)...I do not understand what is wrong with all this. What I disagree with the current classification schemes is the fact that the number of precipitation days is disregarded in the study. Even if a city has less than 30mm precipitation in any summer month but with a decent number of precipitation days, it is so far classified as Csa. I disagree with it for the fact that 5 to 7 precipitation days in summer (e.g. Portland, Istanbul) makes a big difference with 0 or 1 precipitation day (eg. LA, Athens, Beirut). Why is Portland a Cf and Istanbul a Cs, although Istanbul has in all its summer months a precipitation amount greater than 30 mm per month. Due to heavy urbanization and climate change, it seems it is raining much less in summer, so I think this was the reason for changing the classification.
All this needs to be looked up again. I hope they will come up very soon with a very meticulous and more detailed classification scheme that would solve those contradictions and ambiguities and take into consideration climate change.
I vote neither. Still, I think the Koeppen- Geiger is still better than the Trewartha.
Koppen would have considered Istanbul Cfa, because of the high summer temperatures and the moderately high rainfall, he paid little consideration to the type of rainfall.

Trewarttha would have changed it, because he considered Istanbul's rainfall to be fundamentally different to that of Cfa climates - not directly from humid tropical sources.

I don't think Istanbul could be considered Oceanic. It's summer rainfall would need to be mostly just a continuation of it's yearly rainfall type, which I don't think is the case.

Portland under Trewartha has a D climate, which is the same as NYC. That makes even less sense than Koppen's system, as Portland has more in common with California, than the east coast.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,073,334 times
What wiki says about istanbul's rainfall totals is wrong. It has to be updated.
According to wiki Istanbul is more like humid subtropical than Med due to high rainfall amount in summer months.
But In reallity It becomes more and more dry in summer months as I said another thread, there is no 5 to 7 rainy days in summer months except june(One year rainless another year 5 or 7 days maybe more or less rainy days)
In Turkey there are two definitions of Istanbul's climate
one is cool type of med climate(cool represents winter temps)
Another one is briefly a transition climate between oceanic, med and continental.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM

233 posts, read 330,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post
What wiki says about istanbul's rainfall totals is wrong. It has to be updated.
According to wiki Istanbul is more like humid subtropical than Med due to high rainfall amount in summer months.
But In reallity It becomes more and more dry in summer months as I said another thread, there is no 5 to 7 rainy days in summer months except june(One year rainless another year 5 or 7 days maybe more or less rainy days)
In Turkey there are two definitions of Istanbul's climate
one is cool type of med climate(cool represents winter temps)
Another one is briefly a transition climate between oceanic, med and continental.
Istanbulmert,
Where is the updated version of Istanbul's rainfall amount and rainy days?
The one on wikipedia is the same one from your country's meteorological station mgm.gov.tr, check it here: Y

Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,785,654 times
Köppen-Geiger is the only one i'm familiar with. For europe i think it works mostly fine.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,820,875 times
Trewartha is rather good, but the fact that it classifies the northern half of overly cool/mild NZ as 'subtropical' and Melbourne (with a mild winter/warm summer) under 'temperate' is rather bizarre.

Sure, Melbourne is not subtropical, but the northern island is? Come on...BOTH are temperate.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:26 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,073,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
Istanbulmert,
Where is the updated version of Istanbul's rainfall amount and rainy days?
The one on wikipedia is the same one from your country's meteorological station mgm.gov.tr, check it here: Y
Are you sure that u looked up the right site. Coz wiki page and my countrys site say diffrent things in terms of rainfall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather