Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which classification system do you prefer?
Köppen-Geiger 33 44.00%
Trewartha 27 36.00%
Neither 15 20.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

I've poured over the Trewartha classification system that seems to be the preference of some of the posters on here, more so the European and Oceania posters, and it's oddly more broad and simplistic than Köppen-Geiger. I think both has their good and bad points, I haven't been on here long enough to call myself a knowledgeable person on either system. So, as the climate classification novice that I am, educate me on why you prefer one system over the other, and the criticism/shortcomings of the system you oppose I prefer Köppen because that seems to be the system with the most easily accessible information on it and looks to be the more modern one. Trewartha, on the other hand, his map is confined to 2 scanned textbook pages (not the graphic that Köppen has) and almost all Wikipedia articles on climate reference the Köppen system. So, I prefer Köppen based on availability

Also, is there a detailed website that can fully explain to me how Trewartha classified each place in the world? I can only seem to find the map (that seems to have been scanned out of an old textbook) for his system. Not looking for a battle per se, but some education for us weather/climate novices (I've spent considerable time on here, but I know most of you are more knowledgeable than me in meteorology and climatology)

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-19-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Those of us who object to both should post their climate classification

Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
My (probably unpopular) take on it: I have no interest in these schemes. For a given locality or region, I'm only interested in its specific climatology as it stands, and in what phenomena (the whole range from small-scale random fluctuations through meso-scale to global scale) can affect it on various timescales. If I'm considering a holiday in place X (or moving there to live), I'm not interested in its near-relatives elsewhere.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I think I prefer Trewartha over existing systems as it seems more accurate in the temperate latitudes. However, that is not to say that Trewartha is the ultimate in climate classification systems.. I think that there could be a better one out there that I either don't know about or it hasn't been developed yet. I think both Koeppen and Trewartha both have their shortcomings with Trewartha coming out on top for the reason indicated above.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Trewartha has additional letters for the warmest and coolest month, so it's better for Oceanic climates than Koppen is.

For example; London and Sydney are both Cfb under Koppen, but under Trewartha, London is DObk and Sydney is CFbl.

From wiki:
'An option exists to include information on both the warmest and coldest months for every climate by adding a third and fourth letter, respectively. The letters used conform to the following scale:
i — severely hot: Mean monthly temperature 35 °C (95 °F) or higher
h — very hot: 28 to 34.9 °C (82 to 95 °F)
a — hot: 23 to 27.9 °C (73 to 82 °F)
b — warm: 18 to 22.9 °C (64 to 73 °F)
l — mild: 10 to 17.9 °C (50 to 64 °F)
k — cool: 0.1 to 9.9 °C (32 to 50 °F)
o — cold: -9.9 to 0 °C (14 to 32 °F)
c — very cold: -24.9 to -10 °C (-13 to 14 °F)
d — severely cold: -39.9 to -25 °C (-40 to -13 °F)
e — excessively cold: −40 °C (−40 °F) or below.'

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Overall, Koeppen with the 0C threshold for temperate-subtropical. I think some of the cooler Csb climates should be in the oceanic category and that the cool desert climates (BWn in Trewartha) should be classified, but other than that, I prefer Koeppen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Trewartha has additional letters for the warmest and coolest month, so it's better for Oceanic climates than Koppen is.

For example; London and Sydney are both Cfb under Koppen, but under Trewartha, London is DObk and Sydney is CFbl.
[...]
Ah, it would be interesting to see a map using this. My thoughts on Trewartha being too broad were because of the maps, but this is good. I still prefer Koeppen because of the maps, but a detailed Trewartha map would probably be more accurate.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Koeppen-Geiger for me, with the -3C line between the Cxx and Dxx climate groups.

I also agree with RWood in that I'm more interested in the actual climate and history of a given place than which box it fits in.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Trewartha, because it makes sense in the ways others have described. and for mid-lat climates. However, it still doesn't compete with my own definition which places subtropical climates with winters at least 8°C and summers at least 24°C for example.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
I prefer Koppen, with 0C for temperate-subtropical (personally I'd have it higher than that)

I prefer Cfb to Do and I don't like Trewartha's precipitation limit for Cs climates.

For Australia, I prefer the Australian classifications (like how the cooler subtropical climates are thought of as being temperate) and perhaps there are other countries with their own modified system that works better for them too, but I'm voting for Koppen out of the two.

On the topic of other classification systems, I have an Australian atlas that doesn't have a subtropical zone. It has a "warm humid" zone instead. I think for Southern Hemisphere places (since they are quite mild-to-warm-to-reasonably hot for all of the year), it's a good description instead of using the term subtropical.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Koppen with the 0°C threshold.

If I were to modify it slightly, I would use 5C as a threshold, suppress the B category and instead use "x" as the precipitation letter for dry climates, e.g. Las Vegas would be Cxa, etc. (Two letters could be used, one for steppe climates, another for deserts, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather