Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ninety per cent of our scientists say our planet, as a whole, is warming.

What I find peculiar is how the 10 per cent remaining get equal or more time on the media. What's going on there?

All I have to do is look at the average temp for my area for any time period, and note how many days fall above that average.

In my area it is really getting warmer.

I have also heard that there are people hired with sheaves of 'facts' whose job it is to go on public forums and spread disinformation and discourage an opinion which opposes that of the administration or the energy industry.

So, I work all day, come home and voice my opinion, and then get bombarded, on some forums with guys who are paid to fight with me and do not much else all day but research the minute data of opposing views.
Goldengrain, we won't "fight" with you. We're all entitled to our own opinion. I don't dispute the fact at all that the earth is warming, but my spirituality makes me believe it's a "natural" or God-given occurence. It's just my own personal feelings and no one else has to feel that way.

Sorry, but I don't remember what area you live in. What state are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Goldengrain, we won't "fight" with you. We're all entitled to our own opinion. I don't dispute the fact at all that the earth is warming, but my spirituality makes me believe it's a "natural" or God-given occurence. It's just my own personal feelings and no one else has to feel that way.

Sorry, but I don't remember what area you live in. What state are you from?
Sorry, I don't give out personal identifying information to strangers on the net. I can't see how that is particularly pertinant, as this is really a global issue.

One could extrapolate that everything, being part of God's creation, is a natural occurrance, including the invention of the combustiion engine and Ford's manufacture of autos and pedophiles.

That does not excuse us, in my humble opinion, from taking what action we can to put things on a more positive track.

I know in the US, generally, summers are getting longer, the average temps are shifting upwards, and that the vast majority of scientists believe that we are at the very least contributing to it, and most believe we have caused it.

Christians are supposed to be custodians of the earth, no? That, to me, means we should try as best we can not to upset that delicate balance of nature that God gave us, but preserve it.

Please pardon me, but I have noticed so much propaganda that seems to be just a concerted effort of the energy industry. We are talking about our very lives and the planet being endangered, and these guys want to play the old, political brainwashing for profit game.

And the fact that the only 'alternate' energy sources that are being considered are the only ones that the current energy industry can still turn a profit from speaks volumes to me of how heavily influenced our government is by that industry.

Would that I could merely look the other way and say 'God will handle it'. To me, God works through our hands. It is up to us to do the right thing.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
We tend to think of our lives as a stable measuring stick. But for sure, my childhood was only 10 or 12 years in comparison to the big picture. It is definitely possible that during my childhood we had quite a bit of snow but that doesn't mean THAT was normal.
Folks...we have a correct answer!

Synopsis said this better than I ever could have. Very well said Synopsis, and I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It seems in the last 10 years or so that with winters are just as brutal as ever------but; are shorter.

Read that the 'real winter' weather in the 4 seasons places does not start till early January and is gone by the beginning of March.
Just a friendly disagreeing comment from me AB, respect your opinion of course, but see, this is the type opinion I am disagreeing with in my thread. If anyone could produce actual statistics showing that the last ten years or so have been warmer / less snowy in the winters (and I really don't want this thread to become a Global Warming theory debate), then I would believe it. But heck, this past year's high temperature in Milwaukee was colder on Easter Sunday than it was on Christmas Day, and 7 inches of snowfall fell in Milwaukee in mid-April.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we can all agree as it relates to basic facts for weather reporting (actual temps, actual snowfall numbers, etc.) but when I hear all of these comments, it is just alot of opinion "seems like", etc.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
But for what it's worth, YES it has been warmer than usual in recent Winters. I don't necessarily need stats to tell me that. My memory serves me well enough,
WCRob, thanks for your input, but there are a few comments to this:

a) As Synopsis eloquently put it in a previous post (quoting he/she): "We tend to think of our lives as a stable measuring stick. But for sure, my childhood was only 10 or 12 years in comparison to the big picture. It is definitely possible that during my childhood we had quite a bit of snow but that doesn't mean THAT was normal."

b) Surely when considering historical events such as annual winter weather, stats have got to be the measuring stick, rather than just memory. That is exactly my point - so many people are just using memory when they are pointing out their supposed "much more mild winters" and that is just an impossible thing to truly evaluate, because we all have mortal memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
So yep - I know for a fact the Winters have been warmer, and less snowy, than they used to be.
When is the timeframe for "they used to be"?? From what year to what year?

See, this is the problem when relying upon memory. If you were born in say the '60s, your memory probably only starts in the late 60s or early 70s. Thus, there would be no way to evaluate how winters were in say, 1910s or 1890s or 1930s, etc., etc. To us, that seems like "ancient history" but in the grand scheme of the world's history, it is so very recent and critical to consider. That is why facts (eg: stats) are so important.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ninety per cent of our scientists say our planet, as a whole, is warming.

What I find peculiar is how the 10 per cent remaining get equal or more time on the media. What's going on there?
First off, I would really rather not make this a Global Warming theory debate. I actually am not in this thread referencing Global Warming theory at all.

Secondly - that statement I have quoted above - that is just a thrown out number. Can you cite a source for that?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't give out personal identifying information to strangers on the net. I can't see how that is particularly pertinant, as this is really a global issue.
It is pertinent because you made it pertinent - you said "in my area" in your original post talking about the stats in "your area".

Anyway, please, I don't want this thread to be a Global Warming theory debate. Those are found commonly in these forums.

I am specifically talking about a comment that gets thrown out here on these forums that I reference in the original post.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
this post piqued my curiousity and my love of google ...

I'm searching for my area for snow, but here's something that, to me, clearly shows the average daily temp rising over the past 130 or so years:

off to (hopefully) find snowfall!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
First off, I would really rather not make this a Global Warming theory debate. I actually am not in this thread referencing Global Warming theory at all.

Secondly - that statement I have quoted above - that is just a thrown out number. Can you cite a source for that?
I heard it on some tv program that was criticizing Gore's film. Since they were poking holes in his presentation, it stuck in my mind.

I also have heard it before, by my instructor in school, but I did not, unfortunately raise my hand and ask the professor to cite his sources. However, I don't think he was lying. Whenever I get an interesting tidbit I do not note who said it, at what time, etc. I do not spend my day reading up on this, neither do I listen to these things with a thought about publishing such facts.

Those government agencies, though, who argue 'corporatism-favorable' points on such forums, always have their 'facts' footnoted because they have all day to research such things.

I use the term 'corportatism' to represent what our form of government has morphed into - a system greatly controlled for the favor and benefit of international corporations.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I heard it on some tv program that was criticizing Gore's film. Since they were poking holes in his presentation, it stuck in my mind.

I also have heard it before, by my instructor in school, but I did not, unfortunately raise my hand and ask the professor to cite his sources. However, I don't think he was lying. Whenever I get an interesting tidbit I do not note who said it, at what time, etc. I do not spend my day reading up on this, neither do I listen to these things with a thought about publishing such facts.

Those government agencies, though, who argue 'corporatism-favorable' points on such forums, always have their 'facts' footnoted because they have all day to research such things.

I use the term 'corportatism' to represent what our form of government has morphed into - a system greatly controlled for the favor and benefit of international corporations.
I think you could be getting agendas from your side of things too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather