Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 7 6.36%
B 15 13.64%
C 32 29.09%
D 33 30.00%
E 9 8.18%
F 14 12.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I don't know the exact answer other than it's more than Leek Thorncliffe by at least 30% so it's at least 33 because as I already told you I was not doing records for Buxton in January or February 2010 because I wasn't here. And in every other month we get 30% more ice days than Leek Thorncliffe.

Do you know exactly how many you had at your house? You don't know. LOL.

I don't really care either way cause Buxton has colder snowier winters anyway. Our avg high in December 2010 was 0.7°C, nowhere in NI was that cold.

A look at the met office station data for weather stations nearest to you indicates that there were fewer than 10 ice days in 2010 there, at least up to elevations of 160m.
Fewer than 10? I don't think so.

Anyway, I actually do as I have my own weather station and i've been recording since 2010. I recorded around 30. All I know is that the average for Northern Ireland in december 2010 was subzero.

You are trying to argue something that you don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Fewer than 10? I don't think so.

Anyway, I actually do as I have my own weather station and i've been recording since 2010. I recorded around 30. All I know is that the average for Northern Ireland in december 2010 was subzero.

You are trying to argue something that you don't know.
I do know, I looked at all the metoffice station data for weather stations in NI and nowhere was there any where near 30 ice days. Fewer than 10, in fact for the year 2010 at the stations nearest to you. You still again say you recorded "around 30" ice days, can you provide the dates for those then? Also is your weather station set up correctly? Probably not.

So, what were the dates of the ice days you recorded?

Also, what was your average maximum temperature for January and December 2010? If you have a weather station with data from then, you would know these numbers.

Also, what elevation is your weather station at?

You sound like the one who "doesn't know".

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Excuse me? Do you live here? No you do not. Don't get snappy with me.

If you even bothered to to look at ogimet you would see that Castlederg has recorded more than that. And actually my local Station is around 3c warmer than me as it is right beside a sea and I am at a higher elevation.

And no I don't have dates all I know is that my first ice day was 27th november.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? Do you live here? No you do not. Don't get snappy with me.

If you even bothered to to look at ogimet you would see that Castlederg has recorded more than that. And actually my local Station is around 3c warmer than me as it is right beside a sea and I am at a higher elevation.

And no I don't have dates all I know is that my first ice day was 27th november.
I'm not being snappy, in fact you are telling me I don't know, when you can't prove what you are saying. I'm asking you for information that you should be able to provide (and need to, to have a credible argument) because you say you have a weather station. The first ice day in here in Nov 2010 was also the 27th, and it was the first of 3 that month.

You don't live anywhere near Castlederg according to what you've said, and anyway they still recorded fewer ice days than here, with warmer temperatures in winter 2010 so that still proves you wrong anyway.

Provide numbers to prove that your site is an entire 3°C cooler than the coast, that sounds like far too much, and I don't believe it until you can prove it. Also what elevation are you at? For the average temperature to be 3C cooler than than the nearest metoffice station, you would need to be 350 meters ASL higher, at least, even allowing for distance from the coast.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Why would I prove anything when my weather station isn't online?

And yes my weather station is around 3c colder depending on the day. On a day that is crisp and frosty the temperature can be upto 5c colder. Trust me it can. The sea is quite a big effect on temperature. You only have to look at the times that there has been snow where I live and rain right on the beach to see that.

But on average over the whole year it would be about a degree colder.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
For the record, I think it should be pointed out that the definition of an ice day as I understand it is a daily high temperature below freezing. I think you're using the same definition, but I just want to make sure.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Why would I prove anything when my weather station isn't online?

Mine isn't either, but I keep records and I'm pretty sure that with an avg high of 1°C in Jan 2010 and 0.7°C in December it was colder than anywhere in NI. You still haven't said what your elevation is yet.

In order to have any credibility in an argument about temperatures yes you do need to be able to provide the data, or I'll just not believe you, because not being able to provide the numbers indicates either you know you are wrong, or you don't have the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
For the record, I think it should be pointed out that the definition of an ice day as I understand it is a daily high temperature below freezing. I think you're using the same definition, but I just want to make sure.
Yes that's right.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Excuse me. But you told me that you weren't in Buxton in 2010 so how can you have those records? HMMMMM..

And I live above 50m. But I live 10 miles inland in a valley so temps can be quite cool here and we get the occasional inversion.

And really I don't care what you think because I know my own area and I Know how cold it was here. I don't care what some stupid station 10 miles away says, i'm not there i'm here and the weather is different here.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:

And I live above 50m. But I live 10 miles inland in a valley so temps can be quite cool here and we get the occasional inversion.

And really I don't care what you think because I know my own area and I Know how cold it was here. I don't care what some stupid station 10 miles away says, i'm not there i'm here and the weather is different here.
Hang on you don't know how many ice days or even what the average temperatures were at your weather station at all, so as far as I'm concerned you have no credibility in this argument and can prove nothing. Even metoffice stations further inland than you are in NI and in similar valley locations weren't nearly as cold as Buxton in 2010 so again this seems wrong.

Quote:
Excuse me. But you told me that you weren't in Buxton in 2010 so how can you have those records? HMMMMM..
I was out of Buxton in Jan+ one week in Feb 2010 as I said, not for the rest of the year, and I know we had more ice days than Leek Thorncliffe, because of being higher up and because there is another person with a weather station in Buxton (located at harpur hill) who recorded more than that.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Well Buxton is just bloody great isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather