Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Melbourne climate rate
A 7 5.98%
B 23 19.66%
C 20 17.09%
D 12 10.26%
F 55 47.01%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times

Advertisements

Oh, and for those donkeys that think Melbourne sucks in the thunderstorm department, just have a look at these images from Christmas 2011

Wild Christmas Weather

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...226-1p9xz.html

Last edited by Flight Simmer; 08-26-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
B for me. The temps are an A, but the changeable summer weather and dryness bring the grade down. It does tend to get portrayed as wet, but the summers I saw there were dry, more like semi arid if anything. I don't think I ever saw a good rainfall there. Winter had quite a lot of fog when I was there, and I didn't see any frost during three winters (not full time though).

Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM

B for me. The temps are an A, but the changeable summer weather and dryness bring the grade down. It does tend to get portrayed as wet, but the summers I saw there were dry, more like semi arid if anything. I don't think I ever saw a good rainfall there. Winter had quite a lot of fog when I was there, and I didn't see any frost during three winters (not full time ). I did see it snow though, although would probably have to wait a long time to see it again.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM

473 posts, read 666,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
The stats say the average lows in summer are up to 16C in the warmest month
Maybe in the CBD, but not in the suburbs where most people live. In my opinion it is pretty ridiculous that the BOM still use that station for Melbourne's official temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Oh, and for those donkeys that think Melbourne sucks in the thunderstorm department, just have a look at these images from Christmas 2011

Wild Christmas Weather

Hundreds of workers clean up storm mess in Melbourne
Doesn't change the average of 10-15 thunderdays per year. The average here is about twice that, and it still seems like hardly any to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I didn't see any frost during three winters (not full time ).
That's surprising really, the average number of mornings below 0C is around 1-4 days depending on the station. Which is still not very often, but the ground temp would be below 0C more often than that. Though I guess very close to the coast or on a hill frost would be very rare.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
Maybe in the CBD, but not in the suburbs where most people live. In my opinion it is pretty ridiculous that the BOM still use that station for Melbourne's official temperatures.

Doesn't change the average of 10-15 thunderdays per year. The average here is about twice that, and it still seems like hardly any to me.

That's surprising really, the average number of mornings below 0C is around 1-4 days depending on the station. Which is still not very often, but the ground temp would be below 0C more often than that. Though I guess very close to the coast or on a hill frost would be very rare.
I was in Collingwood, but only for parts of winters. Plenty of chilly mornings, but I don't remember any frost. The nights that were coldest, often had fog, although I remember someone saying fog wasn't that common in Melbourne.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:

Good points there. Melbourne is spread out over a very large land-mass area with many microclimates hence I using this as a guide to several sites, not just Melbourne City: Victorian monthly temperature and rain summaries

Eastern suburbs usually get more rain than western areas due to the sheltering effect of the Otway Ranges - i.e - onshore SW airflow means showery conditions for the east and not much so for the west and quite the reverse in an SE airflow.

Melbourne has not recorded such good thunderstorms in many years, last being during the mid 90s - who could forget those wet and stormy Decembers of the late 80s and early 90s - but over the last two years or so, some really ferocious storms have been recorded in the city.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 08-28-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
Summers too hot, no winters to speak of, too sunny. D. The usual "winters would make nice summers" applies here.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah well that is the temp in the CBD and that's what's representative of the local climate for people that live and work there. And I'm sure there are many other cities in the world where the same is true.

Quote:
It's not the best but still better than places like Adelaide, Perth, parts of California, PNW, parts of Europe, New Zealand etc. And Melbourne sure can deliver some severe thunderstorms so it's not as storm deprived as some people think.

Quote:
I'm quite surprised to see the amount of cold night inland SEQ gets.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post

Melbourne has not recorded such good thunderstorms in many years, last being during the mid 90s - who could forget those wet and stormy Decembers of the late 80s and early 90s - but over the last two years or so, some really ferocious storms have been recorded in the city.
You'll prolly wanna add the late 1990's and early 2000's to that list aswell.

And Sydney's sure had a few crap storm seasons in recent times

Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
I'd say B- as the summers are slightly a little too cool for my liking. However I love the winter. Not a bad climate at all. Sun hours are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather