Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You seem to really enjoy the winter in BA, which is mild. He is not talking about heat, just mild winters. Would you like to try a NYC winter? I think not.
You are right, i kinda thought he liked warm weather in general.

Well, i do like BA winters cause they are the COLDEST season here, but i wouldnt mind having much colder ones. I think that over time i have grown to appreciate cold more and more, i realize this cause i get frustrated in this city 11 months a year cause cold is never enough. This year the only month that i truly enjoyed and can call decent as regard to "cold" was JULY, and even then we had one or two 20c+ days! So, yeah, i loved July and i enjoy all winter months (more or less, i didnt enjoy this warm/humid/stick August for example) only cause they are the coldest.

I use to think my favourite months were april and may, and then after living this april and may i realized how really warm they were, so i realized my favourite month was July, the only "kinda cold" month we have, and the only one that was below average this year. Its like im realizing im enjoying cold weather much more now than before, and i have less tolerance for heat at times go by. Before, i used to dislked MDP winters so much for the wind and cold, but the last time i went (May) it was a weekend when temp got to be -10c! with highs around 5c, really cold weather and below average, and i REALLY enjoyed it! So i ve become more tolerating of cold weather.

I know this cause i have to live in this city in where is warm to hot 10 to 11 months a year and cool to coldish 1 or 2. Its really most of the time warm, so much that there is NO MONTH in where temps dont exceed 20c at least one day, and virtually no month in where temp do not reach 20c at night, and getting to 30c in winter is almost excpected every winter, and i HATE this. And it seems to get warmer year after year and i grow sicker of it year after year.

Maybe last year i wouldnt have said so, but if you now offered mo to trade the weaks BA winter for the much more defined New York winters i probably accept it. They have to be sunny though. If you give me NYC winters with around 200 sunshine hours every winter month, i ll be happy to accept it. Im tired of this "always on the verge of being warm" winter. Im tired of it.

So, yeah, bring all the cold winters, warm weather ALL THE TIME sucks, tbh, and i had to learn this living in a warm city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I'd love to be part of the warm weather forum. While I respect the opinions of cold lovers, I don't truly understand them. I'd love to live in a climate that has no winter at all. In fact IMO I think seasons are a complete waste of time. I want my "winter" to have the same temperature as my "summer" which is preferably 25-35C year round

Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Add me to the list. A warm and mild winter has opened up a world of outdoor possibilities for me. I am lucky to live in a place that has most winter days peaking around 19-22C or around 70F roughly speaking. Plus an added bonus is it is very dry at this time of year, with predictability, and little wind. Perfect for me
Your lucky to live in a such a good climate. Would love to live there.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd love to be part of the warm weather forum. While I respect the opinions of cold lovers, I don't truly understand them. I'd love to live in a climate that has no winter at all. In fact IMO I think seasons are a complete waste of time. I want my "winter" to have the same temperature as my "summer" which is preferably 25-35C year round
what is that you dont understand? the amazing feeling of the cold air hitting your face? the lovely winter hats and coats you get to use? the undeniable charm of the sun hitting you in a cool 9c day? how invigorating the cold is? how wonderful is to walk around in a 0c celsius crisp night?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
what is that you dont understand? the amazing feeling of the cold air hitting your face? the lovely winter hats and coats you get to use? the undeniable charm of the sun hitting you in a cool 9c day? how invigorating the cold is? how wonderful is to walk around in a 0c celsius crisp night?
9C to me is not cold.. it's cool.. when I'm talking cold.. I mean sub freezing temperatures which I hate... I hate the fact that I have to wear bulky clothes outside and cover my entire body from head to toe otherwise it hurts.. even temperatures just below freezing like -1C feel awful to me. I also hate more than anything else SNOW . I wish I never had to see another snowflake for as long as I live.. it's cold.. it's wet and it's a nuisance because it makes it hard to get anywhere

Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
In response to the original question, there have been threads geared towards "warmth mongers" () over the years, and if you create a "Mild Winter Appreciation Thread" or some such, I can personally guarantee that I will not interfere or begrudge you any pleasure gained from participating (and I'm a cold lover). Us coldies have had our threads so it's only fair that yours should be respected, assuming any of you choose to create one. A new weather forum isn't necessary and I don't think it'll be much of an improvement, since trolls could come in just as easily.

As for this forum being dominated by coldies, we have plenty of users of almost every stripe here, from warm to hot to mild to cold. Up until this year it has been pretty balanced, but I think now the cold-lovers have a bigger presence than any other faction. In the early years of this forum the heat-lovers actually dominated it.

I agree with Sophie when it comes to the cold, but I don't think you should harass Deneb78 over it. As for 9C constituting cold air, it usually feels comfortable and on the cool side of mild to me. It's only when the temperature gets to 3C or lower that the real "punch" of chilly air is felt. That's very refreshing and pleasant.

Of course, if we want to defend the merits of refreshing cool air I don't think this is the topic to do so.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
9C to me is not cold.. it's cool.. when I'm talking cold.. I mean sub freezing temperatures which I hate... I hate the fact that I have to wear bulky clothes outside and cover my entire body from head to toe otherwise it hurts.. even temperatures just below freezing like -1C feel awful to me. I also hate more than anything else SNOW . I wish I never had to see another snowflake for as long as I live.. it's cold.. it's wet and it's a nuisance because it makes it hard to get anywhere
I know the feeling! What with those tiresome and ugly, icy cold westerlies blowing, I've had more than enough of my fair share thank you Mr Yucky Westerly. I'm very pleased to annouce this morning even though minimums dropped below 10C, it didn't feel that cold due to the wind blowing from the north and the first time I didn't have to go to work covered in many layers of clothes in months and also nice not to have that nasty and evil icy westerly blowing in my face too

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 08-28-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Either discuss your love for warm winters in the various threads already posted or create a new thread. No need for a separate forum.

I'd be interested in seeing what constitutes a "warm winter". What's the temperature threshold? Of course it's subjective, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Well to my mind a warm winter would certainly have to be something somewhat warmer than what buxton gets. Our average is 31/40 in the coldest month but with the cloud, drizzle, rain and wind I think it feels colder than the temperature suggests. A warm winter to me wind have avg highs not much below 50, but generally higher, and lows above freezing. So impossible here, what a shame.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'd be interested in seeing what constitutes a "warm winter". What's the temperature threshold? Of course it's subjective, but it's interesting nonetheless.
To me:

No winter: Singapore, Darwin, Belem

Warm winter: Miami, Townsville, Dakar

Mild winter: LA, Brisbane, Sydney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather