Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times

Advertisements

Nairobe, Kenya
Nice, France
Lisbon, Portugal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM

68 posts, read 108,980 times
Don't know about Nairobi, but I do know that Nigeria is damn hot.
With very high humidity.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Los Angeles (by the coast) and San Diego (by the coast) have near identical climates. Another off beat pick is Casablanca. Both her and San Diego have near identical climates.

That's not ideal for me, I like it to be warmer and SD by the coast can get chilly at night to the point I might want a long sleeve shirt. I prefer the tropics where it's gentle 80s and lower 90s everyday no matter what.

I also see some appeal to mild 4 seasons like Atlanta or Charlotte gets. Basically only a couple weeks of winter (freezing temps, a couple inches of snow) and then the rest of the year devoted to spring/fall/summer.

Most of Europe has terrible climates. The British Islands (UK, Ireland) are always cool, never cold or warm. I frequently needed a sweater even in the summer. Sunshine was an unheard of thing. I remember eating at a cafe and the sun poked out of the clouds and the guy I was talking to scurried into the shade Central Europe and especially east get brutally cold in the winter. No thanks. The Mediterranean and parts of Bulgaria have ok climates. Their summers are usually warm to hot and their winters are cool to cold and rainy. Though, the past few winters even these places are getting hammered with cold weather.

Most cities in South America are either on the cool/foggy pacific like Lima, in a valley like Santiago, or in the higher elevations like Bogota, Quito etc The exception is the eastern side (though Sao Paulo is on a high plateau). The best weather is probably Rio, though I can see why people would like Buenos Aires (with a mild winter and nice summers). Most people don't know that Rio can get very cloudy, almost foggy and rainy in the winter. If you go up north, Mexico city and Guadalajara are also in bowls and have pretty terrible climates imo (air quality).

I don't know much about Asia/Africa. I hear Cape Town is like San Diego. Which to me disqualifies it. Johannesburg is sort of like Sao Paulo or other high altitude cities. Meh. I know much of China gets brutally cold. Even Hong Kong which is technically in the tropics still has a subtropical climate (my friend lives there, dying to visit him). Beijing might as well be Siberia and Seoul is not much better. Tokyo is better because it's more moderated by the mountains and pacific.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
As far as South America goes, Montevideo is very good and slightly more moderated than Buenos Aires:

Montevideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Port Elizabeth in South Africa has almost an almost identical climate temperature-wise to San Diego,(more so than Cape Town), but has more rain:

Port Elizabeth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are all cities over 1 million metro populations.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Lol the usual crap about the UK having terrible weather, it is autumn/fall here in NORTHERN Scotland and it is 78 degrees.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol the usual crap about the UK having terrible weather, it is autumn/fall here in NORTHERN Scotland and it is 78 degrees.
In Dundee it's only 54 right now. Thats on the eastern side (generally sunnier). Try liverpool where its raining.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 AM

I am in just outside Aberdeen right now. It is about 68 degrees now and was 78 yesterday.

Current Conditions Monday 3rd Sept. 2012 - Page 2 - Weather - TheWeatherOutlook - TheWeatherOutlook discussion forum

Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times
Quote:
The UK does have appalling weather - and it gets worse the further north and west you go.

The odd freaky sunny day in September or the fact that it once got to 37C in Essex is always used as an excuse to prove that it's really not so bad. Hence the tabloids, whenever there's a heatwave, always like to compare temperatures in famously sunny spots with those in Britain (eg. "Blackpool beat Benidorm on Sunday as temperatures rocketed to 29C! The Spanish resort only managed 27.5C that day!!")

The fact of the matter is that 95% of the time Benidorm is warmer, sunnier and more pleasant than Blackpool.

The norm for the UK - at any time of the year - is changeable, overcast, and unpredictable. It is a lie (at least in the East) that it rains all the time but it is gloomy and cloudy most days. Some people love this climate - I have some Brazilian friends who recently moved from Sao Paolo to London, and one of their reasons was the weather(!) - but I am not one of them.

There are many amazing things about the UK. The climate is not one of them.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times
Quote:
Marseille and Split.
Nice, but not quite perfect. Too hot and humid in the height of summer, and mid-winters are depressing and wet.

The more oceanic version of the Med climate seems to be the best - judging from everyone's comments. Lucky citizens of San Diego, San Fran, Casablanca, Lisbon, Cape Town, Santiago (Chile), or Perth!

Also hearing a lot of love for the "Eternal Spring" highland tropical climates as Nairobi, Mexico City, Harare, and Kunming in China have been mentioned. Too bad some of these places are not exactly salubrious to live and work in, save for the climate!

Might start another thread on the worst climates.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM

Well this summer/autum has had over 30 days of decent sunshine and a good few where it has been holiday weather. Im not saying the UKs weathers perfect, I for one like snow in winter and wind in autum and all the leaves brown, I also occasionally like a few storms here and there lol. It is weather. But I have a tan this year so it must have been decent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather