Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times

Advertisements

There is no general "poleward movement of the jet" as being chucked about by AGW protagnonists. For the areas where any poleward shift is happening there are equally areas where it's been running far south than normal such as NorthWest Europe, especially during the last six summers. As a consequence summers have become a lot cooler, wetter and cloudier in recent years here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Weird summer night feel atm, crickets are chirping and it's still 23C at 10pm.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
Coldest daytime high forecast for the next 7 days is 18C and coldest night 10C, plus 3 days forecast to be over 20C with some thunder aswell so looks like spring is starting to get into gear....

Smells like spring outside, flowering plants starting to give off their scents

Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
There is no general "poleward movement of the jet" as being chucked about by AGW protagnonists. For the areas where any poleward shift is happening there are equally areas where it's been running far south than normal such as NorthWest Europe, especially during the last six summers. As a consequence summers have become a lot cooler, wetter and cloudier in recent years here.
Who mentioned your part of the world? As far as the southern ocean is concerned, you are completely wrong. There are several published papers on the matter in the Aus-NZ area, and there is no particular solid cause being cited as yet, though warming scenarios don't generally contradict it.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Who mentioned your part of the world? As far as the southern ocean is concerned, you are completely wrong. There are several published papers on the matter in the Aus-NZ area, and there is no particular solid cause being cited as yet, though warming scenarios don't generally contradict it.
Around the Aus-NZ area is hardly around the whole southern hemisphere either, is it. In some parts of the world the jetstream might have moved poleward over a course of a few years (whether southern or northern hemisphere is irrelevant) and in others it has moved further away from the poles. It all balances out, and is no indication of anything to do with global warming or such crap, but of natural variation as has happened for time immemorial. So I'm not "completely wrong" about anything, Rupert Wood, get over yourself.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Around the Aus-NZ area is hardly around the whole southern hemisphere either, is it. In some parts of the world the jetstream might have moved poleward over a course of a few years (whether southern or northern hemisphere is irrelevant) and in others it has moved further away from the poles. It all balances out, and is no indication of anything to do with global warming or such crap, but of natural variation as has happened for time immemorial. So I'm not "completely wrong" about anything, Rupert Wood, get over yourself.
I mentioned Aus-NZ because that's where I have seen the research papers. It is not confined to that region of the SH, as it happens. In the aforementioned (Aus-NZ), the poleward movement has been observed over at at least the period 1979-2010 (I haven't seen the latest updates).

You get over yourself - if you think I'm going to accept your uninformed opinion over that of qualified scientists in the field, you're dreaming.

PS - I already said that there was no solidly claimed cause in the literature I'm referring to.

Brief quote form one of the many articles on the drying of Australia's SW:

"We have now had 40 years of lower winter rainfall in the southwest. During 2010, with the rest of the country awash with water, southwest Western Australia experienced its driest year on record. The last decent wet year in the southwest was in 1965, and such years were fairly common in the preceding six-and-a-half decades of rainfall observations."

"A few years"? Poppycock.

Last edited by nei; 09-16-2012 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: please don't use reps as a competition

Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
Quote:
Yeah well look at all the reps I'VE got for my comments in this thread:
I would've gave you one just for the first line in your above post, but CD is asking me to "spread reputation" before I can give some to you

LOL at this thread. Pure gold

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Spring so far has felt drier than I anticipated, since I'm new to Newcastle, New South Wales. (Australia)

Since August,
I'd liken our precipitation, afternoon humidity, sunshine and diurnal range patterns to Perth's summer season.
Maybe not peak summer (Dec-Feb), but perhaps Oct-Nov or Mar-Apr.
9 days out of 10 in this kind of weather, I have to consider if my garden plants need watering.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Quote:
ACP - Abstract - Measurements of the movement of the jet streams at mid-latitudes, in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, 1979 to 2010

The observed data demonstrates there has been a general poleward shift in the jet stream (more so in the Southern hemisphere), obviously the effects of this would play out differently year-to-year and depending on the particular location one is analysing. You can debate the causes for it but the general trend is there. Whether or not it's linked to supposed AGW doesn't change the fact that it has been observed.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
ACP - Abstract - Measurements of the movement of the jet streams at mid-latitudes, in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, 1979 to 2010

The observed data demonstrates there has been a general poleward shift in the jet stream (more so in the Southern hemisphere), obviously the effects of this would play out differently year-to-year and depending on the particular location one is analysing. You can debate the causes for it but the general trend is there. Whether or not it's linked to supposed AGW doesn't change the fact that it has been observed.
Exactly. Just what I said, though my first comment was confined to your part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather