Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,382,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I had a horrible dream last night: it was October (present time) and i woke up and temp outside was 38 celsius!! (100f).
I had a great dream, where the 24°C 850mb isotherm was sitting over the western UK (in late October) then I was watching a thunderstorm at sunset that evening with lots of nice red colours, temp that day having reached 40°C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,723,749 times
I heard on the radio this morning there have been more days over 30C this spring than in the whole of last summer - something that is not surprising.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/42...r-heat/?cs=305

There have been some spectacular diurnal ranges lately, yesterday a range of 31C where I work in Singleton in the Hunter Valley, 4C to 35C.
Weather News - Peeling the layers in the Hunter Valley

Singleton daily temperature and rain summaries

The weather station for Singleton is actually on the property where I work, and is accessed by the Environmental Engineer.
Still no sign of rain in October, bar a "forecast of clearing shower" on Sunday - which probably means a trace at the most.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,503,018 times
Really warm spring day in BA
completely sunny and 25.5 celsius
temp is supposed to raise and continue sunny for at least a week.

This is to be expected, we are in late october after all....sandal time.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
4C/35C is a very impressive range. The biggest diurnal range I've heard of in NZ was around -3C/26C, although that was anecdotal only.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I heard on the radio this morning there have been more days over 30C this spring than in the whole of last summer - something that is not surprising.

Spring beats last summer for heat* | Newcastle Herald

WOW, thats so weird!! I mean spring just started!! hotter than summer?? this would be so impossible here!
I see this as only happening in places with a tropical or close to tropical climate (with not much difference between spring and summer temps) or in an oceanic climate with little variation in seasons. What type of climate do these places have?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Just checked newcastle averages and actually spring and summer arent so much different, summer is not as hot there, making spring temps very similar. Avg high in october is around 22, and in january again 25. Clearly you are having a warmer than average october if the temps went above 30c several times! But it wouldnt be such an extreme occurrence there as it would be here.
October average high here is similar to newcastle: 22.5, but as far as i know we didnt have ANY day with temps above 30c yet (yayyyy ), while January avg high is 8 celsius higher and you can expect everyday to be above 30c.
Its really unlucky that you already have several days above 30c in October! This october seem to be above average in australia in general, right??

In buenos aires i think, thankfully, it has been below. Its behaved so good in general that im in shock. I know this weekend the first "warm to hot" days are supposed to appear, but i cant complian when we are almost in november. I ve been told (i was in europe) that end september-beggining october were kinda cool in temps. Too bad i missed it .

Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,723,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
WOW, thats so weird!! I mean spring just started!! hotter than summer?? this would be so impossible here!
I see this as only happening in places with a tropical or close to tropical climate (with not much difference between spring and summer temps) or in an oceanic climate with little variation in seasons. What type of climate do these places have?
This is an Oceanic climate.
I might add that I do not live right on the coast but about 25Ks inland, unlike Nobbys Head depicted on that picture, so days above 30C are more frequent, and temps are significantly higher than the average 25C modest summer maximum you mention.
The number of days above 30C might be higher than summer, but the overall average would not be.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
The weather is really starting to feel summerish now, with hard ground and dusty roads. The sun has some heat in it now, and I'm starting to see a few sunburnt people around.

Still chilly nights though. The neighbouring town of Takaka (50 km NW )had a range yesterday of 3.2C/27C (38F/80F) Not quite up to Singleton's 4C-35C, but not bad for a seaside town. It could only manage 1C-22C (34F-72F) here

Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,343,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Faring well rain-wise, compared to the previous two months that is, with around 55mm falling here mtd . Daily maximum temperatures have been quite yo-yoing being either well above or below the average with very few days reaching the actual average.
Invercargill on the other hand, after speaking to my brother, has been doing very well in terms of wet, cold, cloudy and windy westerly weather with some hail showers passing through too and he also said it has been an very unsettled month so far compared to the winter months of July and August.
Just 81 hours of sun mtd ending yesterday and nearly 150mm - mostly in the form of showers with just 2-3 days recording rain though - falling on 21 days with three days measuring falls below below 0.09mm and there has been a consecutive run of "rain" days exceeding 1mm from the 10th.
The current record low October sun total of 112 hours set in 1973 as well as the high "rain" of 175mm in 1946 certainly is looking threatened if this current forecast: Invercargill Weather - NZ Weather Forecast Invercargill from MetService.com rings true - how I wish I were there!
97 hours mtd with 5 more days to go so the record low of 112 will easily be surpassed given forecasts have changed for more sunnier conditions. However the mtd rainfall, at 166mm, is expected to break the 1946 record of 175mm before the month's end.

Six days this month - so far - have recorded gusts, from the west, over 80km/hr with the highest gust of 102km/hr being measured yesterday.

However this pales in comparison to Wellington which has also recorded an much higher than usual number of windy days - almost comparable to October 1988 - with 16 days exceeding 80km/hr with the highest being 119km/hr on the 5th and, recently, 113km/hr yesterday.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 10-26-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM

REALLY warm to hot days in Buenos Aires. And mostly nights!! Yesterday i went to the movies and arrived home at midnight: temp at that time was 22 celsius!!

Today, sunny again, 27.4 celsius. Tonight another hot night will happen.

I predict this weekend, or at most next weekend, we are gonna experience 30c.

What i hate the most is hot nights. I had to turn on the fan yesterday night.

Yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather