Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,950,193 times

Advertisements

Gale force wind to lash Melbourne
Posted by: 3AW Radio | 4 September, 2012 - 5:29 PM

Gale force winds are expected to sweep across the state throughout the night and bear down on the city come morning.

The weather bureau says the gusts of up to 120 kilometres per hour will last for around five hours from 8 o'clock in the morning.

SES director Andrew Gissing says people need to take precautions and avoid going outside if necessary.

The strong northerly winds are expected to keep overnight temperatures high, with the mercury not expected to drop below 16 degrees tonight.

Cooler conditions are expected to return on Thursday, when snow is forecast to fall down to 1500 metres, lowering to 1100 metres on Friday.

The last time winds of this strength lashed at the state was in April 2008 and the SES recieved 5000 calls for help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winds of 140 km/h predicted over elevated and exposed coastal regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,345,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A steady southerly wind is making September feel like a chilly day in July. (mid-winter)

^^ Newcastle also has had sunshine everyday for at least a full week,
however most days I'm not warm before 10am and after 4pm; 6 hours of comfort a day usually?

We have had 2-3 summerlike days so far, one-offs.
We had one about 3 days ago. It was warmer at 8am then than it is at 1 pm now.

I already hate Newcastle winter (it's too long imho) so Flight Simmer you have my sympathies.

Townsville winter in retrospect is a lot nicer.
Worst I could say about it was I mildly-disliked Townsville winter.

I think in general,
I'm disliking everything (besides rain) that makes NSW's climate "temperate"; mild sunshine, cool afternoon breezes etc.

However unlike in Toronto Canada
I thoroughly enjoy even the slightest anomaly from average.
2+ C/ 4+ F above average is enough to make me happy,
as is the odd day that is almost dead calm with near-seasonal temperatures.
so about 1-in-10 days here are close to perfect for me so far.
You can blame the so-called wonderful sunny and dry westerlies for that

Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,059,392 times
Intense thunderstorm here today -- a very rare event.

Around 5:30 PM I noticed a very large band of dark, foreboding cloud enveloping the hills to the south. I was just standing there worrying about approaching rain when the dark cloud suddenly flashed bright blue and violet!

The next hour gave me the most intense lightning show I've ever seen. These were huge bolts that seemed to branch their way over the whole city with every flash.

After a while I began to hear a curious rattling noise that I couldn't quite identify. Then I heard the thud of a huge hailstone hitting the ground near me. Before I knew it I was getting pelted with hailstones the size of golfballs! The hail continued for about five to ten minutes. The sound of these massive hailstones coming down on tin roofs was deafening, drowning out every other sound.

After the hail stopped there was a brief spell of rain which melted all the hailstones and then everything was back to normal. It was a dramatic display of nature's power and a very entertaining evening for me. The only disappointing aspect is that there was little in the way of really loud, booming thunder -- at its nearest approach the lightning would have been a couple of miles away.

Impressive lightning and marble-sized hail in Christchurch - YouTube

Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,580,307 times
^^Awesome!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,511,236 times
VERY windy last couple (two) of nights in BA. wooooz wooooz is what you hear if you wanna go to sleep, specially me that i live in 12th floor. Strong winds arent that common here, so yesterday i have to entered everything i had in the balcony (except the plants) cause i was afraid it would fly away, lol.

And today is raining, yay!
And even better....temp is 14.4c!! Finally some decent temps, cause we were into the high 20s and i though there was no going back from that
You could say it is a crappy day (14.4celsius, raining, grey) but, after many days with sun and temp near or topping 20/25c, then this is awesome. A cool off. A reminder spring in its full form isnt here yet. Thank god.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,950,193 times
very nice looks like a full blown mid summer storm

Overnight low was 17C here and now 19C at 8:20am Very windy though

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,059,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
very nice looks like a full blown mid summer storm

Overnight low was 17C here and now 19C at 8:20am Very windy though
We had another storm last summer which was a little different -- waves of brief torrential showers instead of hail and more vertical lightning. I'm now determined to check out Darwin around Nov - Dec (?) for some really impressive displays.

18 C here now with a gusty nor'wester and hazy high cloud. Should be good for the rest of the week.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,393,657 times
Certainly we couldn't get a storm like that in winter. But the vid seems to have a lot of cuts/edits in it between lightning flashes so they can't have been very frequent. Still an impressive display and I like the pink colours.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,907,018 times
Top temperatures in Argentina today:

1 Tartagal 40.2 °C
2 Oran 38.4 °C
3 Las Lomitas 38.0 °C
4 Presidencia Roque Saenz Pena 37.0 °C
5 Santiago Del Estero 36.8 °C
6 Ceres 36.5 °C
7 Jujuy 35.6 °C
8 Salta 33.7 °C
9 Tucuman 33.1 °C
10 Resistencia 32.5 °C
11 Catamarca 32.3 °C
12 Formosa 32.0 °C
13 Villa De Maria Del Rio Seco 32.0 °C
14 La Rioja 31.8 °C
15 Reconquista 31.5 °C
16 Corrientes 30.7 °C
17 Chamical 30.5 °C
18 Posadas 30.2 °C
19 Villa Dolores A 30.1 °C
20 Iguazu 30.0 °C
21 Monte Caseros 29.4 °C
22 Paso De Los Libres 29.2 °C
23 Cordoba 28.7 °C

Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,907,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
VERY windy last couple (two) of nights in BA. wooooz wooooz is what you hear if you wanna go to sleep, specially me that i live in 12th floor. Strong winds arent that common here, so yesterday i have to entered everything i had in the balcony (except the plants) cause i was afraid it would fly away, lol.

And today is raining, yay!
And even better....temp is 14.4c!! Finally some decent temps, cause we were into the high 20s and i though there was no going back from that
You could say it is a crappy day (14.4celsius, raining, grey) but, after many days with sun and temp near or topping 20/25c, then this is awesome. A cool off. A reminder spring in its full form isnt here yet. Thank god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather