Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Month
January 25 14.88%
February 25 14.88%
March 13 7.74%
April 2 1.19%
May 2 1.19%
June 7 4.17%
July 21 12.50%
August 19 11.31%
September 14 8.33%
October 6 3.57%
November 26 15.48%
December 8 4.76%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

It was a toss up between Jan and Feb for me. The two months with the most bitter cold and snow here in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
July. It's the only time in the year where we regularly get warm ~15°C nights. I hate warm nights. The mosquitoes are also a big pain at that time, though they come in waves throughout the summer.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Any particular month that comes up well short of the normal tally of sunshine, especially if it is wetter as well.
I second that. Usually I would say May. But speaking after last month, a good May is better than a bad August.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I second that. Usually I would say May. But speaking after last month, a good May is better than a bad August.
Slightly off to one side, as it were - you're noticing poor weather as (among other things perhaps) a combination of wetness and a (probably temporary) decrease in the running 12-month sunshine total, which if your September total is normal will be about 2360 hours to end-Sept. That's not far below the (very) longterm mean around 2450, but that figure has been at or above 2450 the great majority of the time in the last 10 years.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:03 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I think there may have been something similar to this thread in the past, but for fun I wanted to see what everybody would vote as *the* crappiest month of weather in your location, and why you think so.

For me, it is not a winter month (surprisingly). My nominee is "NO"vember. Yes, the most boring tedious, pointless month in the calendar in my opinion. Everything's dying, or going into hibernation, looking dead and grim, and the whole of winter lies ahead. Still not much chance of snow or any interesting wintry weather either. Just dull, boring and crap. November is "deeee-pression time".

Second to that, would be February. Winter's gone on too long by then, I just want it to bugger off.

So what about your "worst" weather month?
Funny that you pick November as your worst month, as it's one of the best-weather months around here. It's the first month in which I can get out and actually enjoy the sun and clear days, as it's often dry and cool to warm, but never hot. The sun shines at a steep angle and the days are short, both pluses, and the fall color is at its glorious peak - eye-popping beauty every time you look out the window. Another thing that makes November so wonderful is that I have winter directly in front of me, and summer is a long, long ways away - it's the first time after our hated summer in which I can say "maybe living here isn't so bad after all."

Oh, my worst month? August. If only that hated month could be exorcized from the calendar...lol. It's worst than June or July, as I'm totally sick of summer by then, the number of thunderstorms decrease, and I'm just generally depressed, crabby and downright tired throughout this month. September is a month of slow recovery, and my days "brighten" considerably throughout October, and by the time November rolls around, I feel like I'm back on top again.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Crap, 1 vote, there goes my May theory

Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Slightly off to one side, as it were - you're noticing poor weather as (among other things perhaps) a combination of wetness and a (probably temporary) decrease in the running 12-month sunshine total, which if your September total is normal will be about 2360 hours to end-Sept. That's not far below the (very) longterm mean around 2450, but that figure has been at or above 2450 the great majority of the time in the last 10 years.
I'm still cheerfully optimistic the weather will settle down, and the year will end on a high note.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
I have to choose July, since it usually has the least amount of enjoyable weather in my mystery location.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
June, decreasing day-length, low sunshine, fogs and highest rain month, all compound the problems.
Particularly depressing for those of us who have to travel to work in sub-daylight conditions.
Agree with both FlightSimmer and Derek40. Generally speaking a dreary, cold month in eastern Australia. Not too bad here in Brisbane as all relative but usually the time of year a mid year holiday seems like a viable option.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
The gloom/chill/damp of winter doesn't really bother me at all until late on so I've always secretly enjoyed the November/January etc most people hate. I suppose especially with living in the south now what I really mean is mid-February to mid-March since spring does come noticeably earlier here but if I have to choose one I'll go for March anyway. Any ice/snow won't last long and won't be on the same scale as what we've likely just had but it's still fairly grey and chilly after we've already had months of it and trees/most plants have yet to bloom and still look lifeless. These are the first days when we can feel some strength in the sun when it's out but I still picture a lot of 10C, grey, bare days with pointless 5.30-6pm sunsets which are neither dark enough to be of novelty value or light enough to be able to do anything outside in the evenings.

A good example of a pointless late-winter period was in late Feb/early March 2005, when we had a record 16 consecutive days of snow falling yet only managed to accumulate a maximum of 7cm snow depth (yet on the near continent at the same time 30-40cm was widespread). The same time the year after also had ~10 days of snow/hail showers yet no proper covering whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather