Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Relative schmelative...anyone will agree that 20C/68F weather is better for playing sports than freezing weather where you fingers are numb to the bone.
Not to mention getting hit in the balls with a soccer ball. Next thing you know you are passing out from the pain on the ground in your own testicle shards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
This forum is overwhelmed with barbarians from those impoverished pacific islands. I wonder why they love hot weather so much.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Quote:
Relative schmelative...anyone will agree that 20C/68F weather is better for playing sports than freezing weather where you fingers are numb to the bone.

Yes, 68F in the summer is perfect for playing sports. Unfortunately, there are a few weirdos on here who salivate for 110F+

Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
This forum is overwhelmed with barbarians from those impoverished pacific islands. I wonder why they love hot weather so much.
For the same reason you love cold weather so much derrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Unfortunately, there are a few weirdos on here who salivate for 110F+
Unfortunately, there are a few weirdos on here who salivate for -110F

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
South fla. If it does it lasts about 10 seconds and happens once every 10-20 years
You are very lucky to have grown up there.. what a fabulous place to live! I can only dream of such awesomeness

Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But that's relative. Anybody can do any activity they want outdoors, provided hey have the tolerance for it, and kids have tolerance for almost anything. Kids don't care if it's too hot or too cold outside, dry or humid. Those are all adult concerns As for adults, we have posters on here that claim they can't function in anything but the hottest, most humid conditions and some who say that the colder it is, the better they can work outside.
Very true.

Kids seem to be oblivious to hot or cold.
They play outside in T-shirts on days when I'm feeling cold wearing a jacket,
and they also don't seem to care when it's blazing hot either.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
I had gym class first thing in the morning one year in high school and while it was rough the first few minutes, the cold conditions were superior to having gym right smack in the middle of the day during the warmer part of the year. I found playing sports like basketball better in near freezing conditions as opposed to 20 C. That's comfortable for sitting around or taking an easy walk, but much cooler temperatures are optimal for physically intense activities, IMO.

But yeah, I agree with the previous posts. Kids are less conscious about the weather and their comfort. It's all about having fun.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
20°C is good for playing many sports, but terrible if your favorite sports happen to be snowboarding, hockey, or skiing, amongst others. Last I checked, winter sports are not dying out with age and the Winter Olympics are quite popular. So, cold weather need not be an inhibiting factor to have fun

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Of course, but that doesn't mean you can't play sports when the weather is 'freezing'. Wear some gloves, keep on moving, and you'll feel warm enough. This is coming from a person who used to play high school football (soccer to you) in hail/snow and muddy wet conditions and I'm still here without hypothermia. The worst thing would be playing football on a hot day with no wind and high humidity. I ran plenty of times in such weather and it is vile and unpleasant and zaps the energy out of you (but I still did it anyway ).

Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Of course, but that doesn't mean you can't play sports when the weather is 'freezing'. Wear some gloves, keep on moving, and you'll feel warm enough. This is coming from a person who used to play high school football in hail/snow and muddy wet conditions and I'm still here without hypothermia.
And here in the US, with many many people playing outdoor ice hockey, they don't get hypothermia. I think Trimac is looking at winter through Australian lenses, not that I blame him since Australia lacks proper winters that are cold enough to do away with the drizzle crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather