U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,254 posts, read 25,364,266 times
Reputation: 8735

Advertisements

Team of meteorologists overturn a reading from 90 years ago and make Death Valley the holder of the world's hottest temperature

TEMPE, Ariz. – If you think this summer was hot, it's nothing compared to the summer of 1913, when the hottest temperature ever recorded was a searing 134 F in Death Valley, Calif. But while that reading was made 99 years ago, it is only being recognized today by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) as the most extreme temperature ever recorded.
That's because an international team of meteorologists recently finished an in-depth investigation of what had been the world-record temperature extreme of 58 C (136.4 F), recorded on Sept. 13, 1922 in El Azizia, Libya. The group found that there were enough questions surrounding the measurement and how it was made that it was probably inaccurate, overturning the record 90 years to the day it was recorded.

World's hottest temperature cools a bit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 8,846,255 times
Reputation: 3073
Interesting - it's about time really. I'd never believed the record could have been set in mid-September, particularly a reading taken in a backwards place like that so long ago. Does anybody know if the Death Valley temperature is disputed at all with it being so old? How close has it got since?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 45,094,281 times
Reputation: 14963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Interesting - it's about time really. I'd never believed the record could have been set in mid-September, particularly a reading taken in a backwards place like that so long ago. Does anybody know if the Death Valley temperature is disputed at all with it being so old? How close has it got since?
Yes, Chris Burt, one of the weatherunderground bloggers disputes the Death Valley reading as well but the evidence isn't as conclusive.

Weather Extremes : Hottest air temperatures reported on Earth | Weather Underground

The COOP form for Greenland Ranch in August 1924 shows some very suspicious readings with 16 nights above 100° including a 12-day consecutive stretch of such, including two at 110°! The modern (post 1934) record for Death Valley has never had more than 3 consecutive nights above 100° and a hottest night-ever of 104° on July 23-24, 2003… It would appear Death Valley, California holds the best authenticated value of 129°F and also the 2nd best 'possibly authentic' reading with the 134°F in 1913. I would propose that the hottest reliable, undisputed temperatures yet measured on earth are the 129°F (53.9°C) readings on four different occasions in Death Valley, California.

Dead Heat Documentary | Weather Underground

Chris Burt claims to be responsible for making the case against the Libyan record. The weatherunderground created a whole page prouldy trumpeting themselves as well as a movie detailing the story. The four posts on linked to on the page (the above post is one of them) are a good read, and the latest one describes his communications with other meteorologists, including a Libyan meterologist who agreed with him. The Libyan war delayed the result.

In early March, Gaddafi began airing long nightly rambling tirades on his government TV network. During one of these, he made an ominous reference to how NATO forces were using Libyan climate data to plan their assault on the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Paris
8,193 posts, read 7,283,934 times
Reputation: 3510
I'm not sure if it's the highest it got since, but 53.9°C apparently has been reached in 1998, 2005 and 2007, with an average yearly high of around 52°C.

Edit: didn't see nei's post!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 45,094,281 times
Reputation: 14963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I'm not sure if it's the highest it got since, but 53.9°C apparently has been reached in 1998, 2005 and 2007, with an average yearly high of around 52°C.
The US weather service reports temperatures to the nearest °F, so the .9°C isn't real precision; it's just what 129°F converts to in Celsius.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 8,846,255 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, Chris Burt, one of the weatherunderground bloggers disputes the Death Valley reading as well but the evidence isn't as conclusive.

Weather Extremes : Hottest air temperatures reported on Earth | Weather Underground

The COOP form for Greenland Ranch in August 1924 shows some very suspicious readings with 16 nights above 100° including a 12-day consecutive stretch of such, including two at 110°! The modern (post 1934) record for Death Valley has never had more than 3 consecutive nights above 100° and a hottest night-ever of 104° on July 23-24, 2003… It would appear Death Valley, California holds the best authenticated value of 129°F and also the 2nd best 'possibly authentic' reading with the 134°F in 1913. I would propose that the hottest reliable, undisputed temperatures yet measured on earth are the 129°F (53.9°C) readings on four different occasions in Death Valley, California.

Dead Heat Documentary | Weather Underground

Chris Burt claims to be responsible for making the case against the Libyan record. The weatherunderground created a whole page prouldy trumpeting themselves as well as a movie detailing the story. The four posts on linked to on the page (the above post is one of them) are a good read, and the latest one describes his communications with other meteorologists, including a Libyan meterologist who agreed with him. The Libyan war delayed the result.

In early March, Gaddafi began airing long nightly rambling tirades on his government TV network. During one of these, he made an ominous reference to how NATO forces were using Libyan climate data to plan their assault on the country.
Interesting articles!Unfortunately the 'new' record doesn't look too promising either then - same goes for our national record of 38.5C which was taken at an allegedly overexposed site as recently as 2003. I'm still waiting for the 35.6C which is supposed to have happened in South Yorkshire in September 1906 to be officially disproved too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
23,638 posts, read 20,862,782 times
Reputation: 9188
But that goes only for regions where there are official stations. According to specialized satellite images temperatures rise to 70° and beyond in Iran's Lut desert I know what 45° feels like, I can't imagine 70°
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 45,094,281 times
Reputation: 14963
Real patriotic Americans should be proud that America is #1 in hot weather!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
23,638 posts, read 20,862,782 times
Reputation: 9188
Lol, yes, reminds me of a thread in the world forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Paris
8,193 posts, read 7,283,934 times
Reputation: 3510
Could it be a USA-Iran battle?
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=7149
Looks like 71°C is a surface temp, I don't find it excessive, especially if rocks there are dark?

Other surface temp hotspots during the campaign were Turpan and interior Queensland:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tonrCVa3rk...-2003-2009.png



Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The US weather service reports temperatures to the nearest °F, so the .9°C isn't real precision; it's just what 129°F converts to in Celsius.
Thanks for the clarification. I found it weird to see the 53.9°C "2 nd record" tied several times.

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-13-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top