Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think?
keep it as is 16 16.16%
change to year round daylight time 39 39.39%
change to round standard time 23 23.23%
change to year round compromise time (half hour between the two) 6 6.06%
I don't care but I do just wish we could stick to one of them 11 11.11%
I really don't care either way 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Are you saying that NYC should be on gmt -4 is that not the wrong timezone? You could do that you'd just not change the clocks.
Yeah, I would say Washington DC - east would be part of the Atlantic time zone, with areas to the west remaining in its current time regime, or just have the line cut down through the unpopulated areas of West VA, western NC and out into the ocean in SC. The other time zones would be shifted west approx a half hour to compensate, so that Denver would fall into Central time, and the west coast would be shifted an hour east as well. This would be a good compromise solution as opposed to getting rid of DST or staying on it all year round, as you'd not have those crazy early or late sunrise times. If we were on year-round DST here in Atlanta, January sunrise times would range up to 8:45 am - no thanks to that! But if we got rid of DST in *this* location, it'd be fine, as we'd still have light past 8 pm in summer and and sunrises before 5:30 am in high summer, which wouldn't bother too many ppl, IMO. I just concur with Nei that getting rid of DST in his location would hurt more than help, due to the current time zone placement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM

637 posts, read 1,026,588 times
Year round DST would be best.

I hate changing the clocks twice a year.

It would mean daylight until almost 6pm in late december.

We're now on DST most of the year, early march to early november,
so why not the entire year.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times
DST here in winter wouldn't make sense. It would mean sunrise at 8:35am which is silly. In summer though, it is the way to go, 5.50am sunrise and 8:50pm sunsets are far more sensible than 4:50am-7:50pm. Absolutely no point in the sun rising that early when the human body is naturally in sleep mode at that time. It's a lot more useful to shift that hour of sunlight to the evening when people are awake and active.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM

559 posts, read 748,067 times
Here in NJ we already have DST for 8 months, so why not have it for the other 4 also? It would stop the annoying time changes and you wouldn't have to worry about losing an hour of sleep and all that. Also I'd prefer year round DST over getting rid of it completely because then there would be less time in summer to do outdoor activities since it would get dark earlier. Oh yeah, and the summer sunrises would be 4:30 AM without DST. Who the heck is up at 4:30??? It's nothing but a hindrance to me because I'm trying to sleep, but that's pretty hard when the sun is out and shining brightly. Waste of daylight, even 5:30 is too early. As for late winter sunrises, it doesn't really affect me, I can just turn the lights on in the morning, and there are street lights to help me see when I'm going to my bus stop. And of course when I reach school daylight means nothing since the lights are always on in school (even at 1 PM). I can't really see it being a safety issue for little kids since their parents should be right there with them, and if they aren't then that's child negligence. The winter sunsets don't really do anything either since it's probably freezing cold out and you don't want to be outside, and 5:30 is still pretty early. However, I stated that I only want year round DST so that we don't have to change our clocks twice a year and all that.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
I like early summer sunrises. The sun sets at around 9:40pm in June, which is just fine, any latter wouldn't make much difference to how I or anyone else functions, unless you like 'getting pissed' or having barbecues at absurdly late hours.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Too cold for barbecues at late hours in England. Rather have them in the afternoon.

When it gets dark has nothing to do with whether people get pissed late, they'll do that anyway. In fact more people drink when its dark than light in the evenings.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Most of the time yeah, but there are a few nights when it's warm or at least pleasantly mild, and I don't like the loud music some idiots play at night.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, I would say Washington DC - east would be part of the Atlantic time zone, with areas to the west remaining in its current time regime, or just have the line cut down through the unpopulated areas of West VA, western NC and out into the ocean in SC. The other time zones would be shifted west approx a half hour to compensate, so that Denver would fall into Central time, and the west coast would be shifted an hour east as well. This would be a good compromise solution as opposed to getting rid of DST or staying on it all year round, as you'd not have those crazy early or late sunrise times. If we were on year-round DST here in Atlanta, January sunrise times would range up to 8:45 am - no thanks to that! But if we got rid of DST in *this* location, it'd be fine, as we'd still have light past 8 pm in summer and and sunrises before 5:30 am in high summer, which wouldn't bother too many ppl, IMO. I just concur with Nei that getting rid of DST in his location would hurt more than help, due to the current time zone placement.
But whats the point in that? Thats stupid because it would mean that there would still be four timezones in the Usa. How about we keep the present regime, extend dst to year round and move the west coast into the mountain time?

No matter what was done, i'm sure that we'd get complaints and i'm sure it wouldn't work out thats why I think its better that governments arrange timezones rather than local authorities in the USA. Just look at the way it is in chicago and those types of places, thats just down right stupid. In the UK we are forced to do the timezone that they pick .

Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
Here in NJ we already have DST for 8 months, so why not have it for the other 4 also? It would stop the annoying time changes and you wouldn't have to worry about losing an hour of sleep and all that. Also I'd prefer year round DST over getting rid of it completely because then there would be less time in summer to do outdoor activities since it would get dark earlier. Oh yeah, and the summer sunrises would be 4:30 AM without DST. Who the heck is up at 4:30??? It's nothing but a hindrance to me because I'm trying to sleep, but that's pretty hard when the sun is out and shining brightly. Waste of daylight, even 5:30 is too early. As for late winter sunrises, it doesn't really affect me, I can just turn the lights on in the morning, and there are street lights to help me see when I'm going to my bus stop. And of course when I reach school daylight means nothing since the lights are always on in school (even at 1 PM). I can't really see it being a safety issue for little kids since their parents should be right there with them, and if they aren't then that's child negligence. The winter sunsets don't really do anything either since it's probably freezing cold out and you don't want to be outside, and 5:30 is still pretty early. However, I stated that I only want year round DST so that we don't have to change our clocks twice a year and all that.
But then again you have to look at it the other way for people who live this far north. If we keep dst then we have these annoying late sunsets. They are a hinderance and unnatural. I hate them, I hate going to bed at 12 and the sky still being a golden colour it is really annoying, and no harm to anybody who says that we can get extra stuff done out of the extra hours. Ok heres the deal that only works in florida and places like that it doesn't work where I live because everywhere is shut up by the time the sun sets and people are starting to goto bed. Are you going to have a BBQ at 12am or what? Don't be silly. I'd rather have the light in the morning because you'd be asleep.

The USA because of its location can and should just use permanent DST all year. It would mean that it would only be 4 hours between the UK/Ireland for around 5 months of the year. The USA is behind most of the world.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,941 times
Summer here is "getting wasted" and 'BBQ" season and generally most people prefer the later sunset than early sunrise.

Here Astronomical Twilight begins at 3:57am DST during the earliest sunrise days of summer, and nautical twilight begins at 4:40am which is when the sky is obviously bright to the average person. Without DST it would be noticeably light at 3:30-3:40am which is quite absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather