Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM

47 posts, read 70,416 times

Advertisements

Wet heavy snow is horrible and slippery and dangerous, that is what we usually get in UK as temperatures not low enough !! In Germany where i lived for several years, I was amazed that their snow was tiny powderlike bits as dry as a bone, which could be swept from the paths very easily. The temperatures did not rise above freezing so no ice formed. We had sunny days, more than in summer, this well below freezing lasted for usually 2 months before the thaw set in, and came at different times of the winter. but for decades it was always frozen until at earliest end of March. But have been told it is not so cold there now and winters not so long with not so much snow, in the north anyway. I miss the mild winters we used to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
It depends where you live. October to April is the only time I've ever seen snow, although it might have snowed in may at some point
It snowed here in a may either last winter or the one before. My dad has stories of snow piles in the hedges in june of 1963. Not sure about september but if this september isn't the coldest and we've had one or two single figure days i'm sure its not impossible. Monday is looking like 9c max.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digerd View Post
To OWENC I,m in north London, and last weekend was very warm, but suddenly the wind seems to have changed to northerly, and last night we had +5 as minimum , night before + 6, night before + 7, , so decreasing by 1 degree c each night, which is ominous as don't like the chilly cold. The wind makes it feel much colder than it is at the moment at 4.30 pm =+15, but should be warmer as had sun all day. Open countryside is always colder than in cities, of course. Except for last year, the previous 3 winters were much colder than usual and longer reaching into May, and starting in September. This year too was exceptionally cold in March, April and May. making the winters longer and summers shorter than I ever remember.
Well its been chilly here for around 3 weeks now. We haven't been above around 60f in ages. Today it is 55f and the dew point is 35 and it got down to 32/0c this morning and it was white everywhere. Tonight maybe not possibly a grass or a ground frost.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Some pictures from last night:

Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Jealous..

Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Bit of flakes here yesterday too in Winnipeg. Temp dropped 7 degrees c in 20 mins with winds 84 kph gusts.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times

I missed it.

the plow trucks didn't move.

The hail the other day was more impressive.

Yet the stories prevail from some credible sources. An editor from the National Geographic magazine called and inquired about Jim Brandenburg's story that it had snowed in every month in northern Minnesota. Our response still had to be a shaky "maybe." Weather stations are few and far between in northeast Minnesota, so it is certainly possible that flurries have fallen between the cracks.
As it stands right now the latest recorded measurable snow in Minnesota remains at 1.5 inches at Mizpah in Koochiching County on June 4, 1935 and the earliest documented snow in Minnesota is a trace that fell at the Duluth Airport on August 31, 1949.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 PM

559 posts, read 748,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
The earliest snowfall on record in Boston, MA was July, 10, 1955 .

The latest snowfall on record in Boston, MA was May 10, 1977, I remember this one quite well, it was a very wet heavy snowfall. My daughter at the time was two years of age. All my friends were at my house when the power lines went due to a tree limb falling on them .

We suited her up got in my car, driving very carefully to the movie theater. That area had not been effected by any downed lines. We all went in the theater watched a good movie (Between the Lines - A Crime-Drama about Internal Affairs investigating crooked cops, I highly recommend it, it's a great movie).

Boston Seasonal Snowfall Statistics
How could there be snow in Boston in July when the record low for the entire month is 50 F? I know that snow can fall above 32 F, but not that far above 32!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Jealous..
Whatever the opposite of jealous is, well that's how I feel about their snow.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digerd View Post
Wet heavy snow is horrible and slippery and dangerous, that is what we usually get in UK as temperatures not low enough !! In Germany where i lived for several years, I was amazed that their snow was tiny powderlike bits as dry as a bone, which could be swept from the paths very easily. The temperatures did not rise above freezing so no ice formed. We had sunny days, more than in summer, this well below freezing lasted for usually 2 months before the thaw set in, and came at different times of the winter. but for decades it was always frozen until at earliest end of March. But have been told it is not so cold there now and winters not so long with not so much snow, in the north anyway. I miss the mild winters we used to have.
Nowhere in Germany has winters like that except perhaps high elevation locations in the south of the country. Certainly don't get wet snow here very often either. The past 3 winters have all produced powdery and drifting snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather