U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: rate
A 8 30.77%
B 7 26.92%
C 3 11.54%
D 4 15.38%
E 0 0%
F 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,378,277 times

Advertisements

Although this is called Winter Wonderland, I did give it a summer, although it is short and mild. I gave it a slightly modified Alaskan precipitation pattern with summer and fall being wetter than winter and spring. Although looking back on it, I should have slightly increased the precipitation totals for June, July, and August. (As you all know, I love all seasons to be dry, but I know most here do not like that).

I imagine sunshine totals would be somewhere in the area of 2100 to 2300 hours annually. Many winter nights would be clear unless its snowing, about to snow, or just got done snowing. I also imagine mild to moderate winds year round, with strong wind storms occurring on occasion during the late fall and early winter months. Blizzard conditions are most likely to occur during November. Many calm days, some completely devoid of any wind or breeze, do show up throughout the entire year. Humidity levels would be fairly low all year round, similar to many locations in Alaska. I also imagine snowfall totals to mimic something close to what Anchorage, Alaska gets per year, although slightly more. Lets say 88 inches per year on average.

I would expect it to exist in a northern location, so I can easily imagine long hours of daylight in the summer, and little hours of daylight in the winter.

I also would like to add that record lows, or anything close to them, are very very rare, although possible. Just there to add a little bit of excitement at the possibility of seeing a rare minus 30 or minus 40 temperature.

Last edited by cjg5; 09-30-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

10,687 posts, read 15,115,466 times
I knew any climate that was named "Winter Wonderland".. I'd have to give an F to

Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM

I actually really like this climate.

I rate it a B- to B. I could use a slightly longer summer, perhaps even warmer, but it isn't a complete deal breaker. I love the way winter is looking in this climate, and I can imagine countless days and nights of just watching the snow falling, and being out playing in it. (I'm such a big kid when it comes to playing in the snow!). Wouldn't mind living in that at all!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I knew any climate that was named "Winter Wonderland".. I'd have to give an F to
I already knew what your vote was gonna be!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM

559 posts, read 703,077 times
Oh come on, you can't have a climate named Winter Wonderland without having any snow data!!! But based on the rest of the data, I'd give it a B-. Comfortable summers, pretty good winters temperature wise, but too dry. Record highs look good, but record lows way too cold.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
Oh come on, you can't have a climate named Winter Wonderland without having any snow data!!! But based on the rest of the data, I'd give it a B-. Comfortable summers, pretty good winters temperature wise, but too dry. Record highs look good, but record lows way too cold.
Thought I added a little note about that, but didn't. Just edited it in. I imagine something very similar to Anchorage, Alaska, which this was kind of based off of.

Also I don't think those record lows or anything close to them are commonly seen, just thought it would be interesting to add in the possibility to see a temperature that low.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM

3,344 posts, read 5,193,083 times
Looks like a drier and slightly colder version of Anchorage...

B-

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Looks like a drier and slightly colder version of Anchorage...

B-
I did base it off of Anchorage.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM

3,344 posts, read 5,193,083 times
Are thunderstorms as rare here as they are in Anchorage (pretty much zero per year)?

JJA look nicer here than Anchorage but May and September look a little chilly.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Are thunderstorms as rare here as they are in Anchorage (pretty much zero per year)?

JJA look nicer here than Anchorage but May and September look a little chilly.
Hmmmmm....... I do like thunderstorms. Let's go ahead and throw in a few good and guaranteed thunderstorms per year.

I think that I will take feedback received in this thread, and make a modified version of this. Winter Wonderland 2.0. I'll wait a few days to do it though. I can already see higher precipitation totals, and perhaps a slightly warmer May and September. And certainly thunderstorm activity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather