U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM

7,517 posts, read 17,658,816 times

Advertisements

Due to health reasons, have you ever been told by a doctor that you should move from your current home to another area/State where there is "less" winter or even NO winter? Due to a serious injury (fall), that required surgery, did you decide to move to a "less" winter or NO winter area? Have you just decided that there is just "to much" of winter/snow where you are and it's time to go? Or, finally, is your body/age (60+) telling you it's time for a "less winter" or even "no more winter"...... period?
Our situation: After having a hip replacement in 2005 and then falling in snow/ice in December 2006 (requiring shoulder surgery for me my wife and I decided that these so-called "mild winters" in the Denver, CO metro area aren't so "mild" afterall. We still would like "some" winter weather, so we are going to North Carolina to live.
Tell us your story. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,084,897 times
Sorry to hear about your injuries.

YES, my Dr. and also the gal who did accupuncture for me felt it would be better to live where it's warmer. I've had spinal surgery and my right side bothers me when the weather starts changing. Actually~two discs were herniated and had to be fused, another one is either protruding yet or herniated, has gone to lumbar area and one is either protruding or has herniated by now.

Along with that I have a touch of osteo-arthritis and fibromyalgia. No, I'm not disabled and no, I don't take drugs unless it get SO awful that I can't function, which has happened occasionally during the winter. Accupuncture only inflames it all and the Dr. said it was the neuropathy thing cause I cringe at the needles going in. I just have to keep moving and moving and moving in order to be able to function.

I've NEVER liked winter to begin with so it's always welcome words when a medical professional suggests a warmer area. It's even better when DH is in the room so he can hear it, too.

We will more then likely eventually move to a warmer climate. We have one area in mind, but I'm not sure if even their winters will stay warm enough for me to remain half way pain free. I actually feel quite well during the summer when it's warm here. Funny thing how that cold weather can actually make you feel SO much worse. I've never actually been officially diagnosed with this~BUT my Dr. suffers from SAD and we were chatting one day and I told her that I felt I have a touch of it, too. I thought winter was just depressing to everyone with it's cold and lack of flowers and trees and grass. I had no idea there was such a thing as SAD until a few years ago and I'll make a self-diagnosis that I have a bit of it.

So where are you heading to?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,087,378 times
Yes except I'm opposite. I was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrom and Dysautonomia.. which is basically a glitch in my autonomic system .That controls the functions you cannot like heart, lungs, blood pressure etc. It gives the apparent sensation of failure of whatever organ it decides to effect that day. My blood pressure is VERY uncontrolable and I can literally pass out laying down. I've been "clocked in" as I like to call it at 59/32. That was a recovering bp they think I pretty much bottomed out.. Try having 2 electronic blood pressure cuffs, a manual one with a nurse attached yelling "I GOT NOTHING" and another wheelin in the Defibulators.. LOL HELLO , that'll jump start ya better than morning coffee!!! I was was okay though. BUT I was told Heat+me = BAD NEWS.... Heat makes my blood pool in my legs, I have low blood volume so my body is literally in a chronic state of deydration and shock. Think of how you feel when you stand up really quick after sitting or lying down for a long time and you get that woozy weird feeling.. I feel like that all the time 24/7 going on 4 years now.. I have to take massive amounts of salt to keep my blood volume up.. Salt makes yme dehydrated but keeps me from passing out.. Its an odd cycle for sure.. Don't try to think too hard about how it all works.. Your brain will explode and no weather can fix that!!! So after wearing compression stockings for a long time and finding that at the age of 24 and being a girl well its not too sexy when you live in Florida and have to wear knee high socks with shorts that the old people wear.. So my husband was nice enough to pack me up and move me to New Hampshire.. I love the cold and it helps for sure

Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM

OMG Tara, it sounds complicated and you're so young to have such a huge health problem.

Guess I forgot to add my age as was requested by the OP~born in 1955.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,185,604 times
That sounds scary, Tarastomgirl!

Myself, I'm pretty healthy, but a nerve disorder makes my fingers sensetive to cool/cold weather. It's very easy at a pleasant 60 F for my fingers to feel like they too are no warmer than 65-70 F, which understandably makes them slightly stiffer than normal, while my palms stay at a comfortable 90 F plus. Same thing with my toes, but socks and shoes get around that problem most of the time, when it's close to freezing or warmer. Warmth fixes that problem, temporarily of course. I also seem to be very resistant to dehydration, so perhaps this is why I can enjoy 90 F-plus heat.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 PM

10,017 posts, read 17,520,768 times
My BF has MS and the doc told her it doesn't react well in winter cold climates. but she isnt budging, She lives in Aspen, she loves it to much to leave, she just compensates.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM

6,700 posts, read 9,800,823 times
With all the modern medications and advanced medical science available these days, it seems less likely that doctors would advise their patients to move to another part of the country just for health/climate reasons. I can see how people would be sick of the constant sub freezing weather, ice, and snow ... but packing up and moving just for that reason seems rather silly anymore.

One of the reasons Arizona grew so fast many years ago was people moving here for the warm, sunny climate. Unfortunately, they soon discovered that our extremely hot summers and dry air can create other health problems. Valley Fever is quite common due to the dust, asthma is common because of the dust and increased pollution, heat stroke can occur if you're out in the summer heat too long, the rate of skin cancer is extremely high due to the sun's intensity, and Sjogren's syndrome can be aggravated with the dry air.

My advice: do some extensive research on the city, state, or region you're considering before actually moving there. How are the jobs, wages, commute times, overall quality of life, etc.? Those things can and should be priorities to how nice the weather/climate is as far as appealing places to live.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Valley, you're so right~there are a lot more things involved with a move then weather. But unfortunately, there are people who just can't deal with all the meds they have for certain afflictions~believe me~I'm one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather