U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: rate
A 4 14.81%
B 8 29.63%
C 8 29.63%
D 4 14.81%
E 1 3.70%
F 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,239,743 times

Advertisements

Well, since we have Winter Wonderland and Summer Wonderland, why not a Mild Wonderland?

Temperatures are fairly moderated in this mild oceanic climate. It is loosely based on Seattle, with similar summers but warmer winters. The winds are mostly calm, although strong windstorms can blow through during the fall and winter seasons.

Snowfall is very rare and also very short lived, and whatever does fall almost always comes at night and melts off throughout the day. Temperatures only fall below freezing on an average of 3 nights per year, and daytime temperatures are always above freezing.

Rainfall is pretty evenly distributed throughout the year, with a short semi dry period around the late July through mid August period. This is also the sunniest time of the year.

Speaking of sunshine, a total of 2080 hours for the year is seen on average. (Nearly a full 100 hours less than what Seattle gets, and a little over 600 more than seen in London).

Humidity levels are mildly moderate. More than Seattle, but significantly less than East Coast locations.

Anyone looking for thunderstorms is out of luck. They aren't unheard of, but with an average of just 2 per year it is nothing to get excited about. When they do come, they can last anywhere from 1 hour to half a day.

Morning fog is common from about mid October to early March and can be very thick. This usually burns off by noon, but has on occasion been known to last well into the afternoon. Fog during other periods of the year is less common.

Rain can fall as both drizzle, or as a downpour. Heavy rainstorms can cause flooding in low lying areas close to rivers, and sometimes powerful windstorms during the fall and winter can knock out power to many areas, and depending on how severe the damage to power lines is, it can be restored as early as hours or as late as several days, up to a full week after.

And here are the averages for temperatures and precipitation:

Last edited by cjg5; 10-10-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,239,743 times
Yet another F grade from me. This is an even worse version of Seattle. Much more moderated, much less possibility for snow, more moisture in the summer, more humidity, low levels of variation. Just doesn't do it for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

15,327 posts, read 15,801,285 times
B

Fairly comfortable and not too sunny. Rainfall is acceptable. Downside is the lack of cold and variety.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM

5,599 posts, read 9,564,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
B

Fairly comfortable and not too sunny. Rainfall is acceptable. Downside is the lack of cold and variety.
^^ This

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,107,206 times
Boring.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM

7,023 posts, read 10,303,217 times
C. One of those places where the weather is totally unintrusive and probably fades into the background, not a lot of interest but comfortable.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM

753 posts, read 743,193 times
Summers are quite nice. They're perhaps a bit cooler than ideal for me, but still at a very acceptable temperature range. I really like the fact that the average high hits 20°C for six months a year and that the average low is above 10°C for five months. Winters are very nice too, being at the right temperature to give you cool, crisp mornings and a break from the summer warmth but without being overly cold or requiring any real winter gear.

The lack of thunderstorms is quite disappointing, but the regular presence of fog during the cool season is awesome. The rainfall is great too, I like that it's consistently rainy throughout the year without being excessively so. One thing that would help with rating this climate is the number of days of rain per month/year. Based on your description I assume it's fairly moderate - i.e. not just two or three days of torrential downpours a month, but not 20 days of light rain and drizzle either. The yearly sunshine total is very nice as well, enough to get a good amount of sun but also low enough to allow a good amount of clouds.

I give this one a B. By far my favorite of your three "wonderland" climates.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,977,442 times
I need something in-between mild and summer wonderlands. And perhaps a month of winter wonderland in there somewhere for variety's sake. =P
This is too bland and not sunny enough.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM

777 posts, read 964,116 times
A poor man's Melbourne. Looks like a lot of climates in southern Victoria. Not very good at all.

Was goign to give it a C but then noticed the record highs. Yuck. D+ it is.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,110,095 times
Boringly comfortable.

B-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather