Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 22,484 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Canada...hot humid summers and long cold winters..Currently living in Yuma, AZ...beautiful winters and long hot summers, triple digits since May. It seems I have gone from 6 months of frigid weather to 6 months of suffocating weather...they are both hell!! Other than California which I love but my husband does not, where are some of the best places to live that have better temperatures? I love to garden.. dont want it to be too humid... I could handle 2 months of snow but not the 5 or 6 months I grew up with...I prefer it was not mosquito heaven...Does such a place exist? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Just south of Eugene, Oregon to Vancouver, Canada applies...although I think Vancouver's Summers aren't warm enough, personally. Eugene and Portland Summers are very nice though. It's been in the 70s during the day everyday this month so far.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,588 times
If you want to stay in US southwest, I would go with Albuquerque,NM area.
Much cooler than Yuma with still nice long warm summers and short coolish winters.

If you want to move back to Canada, then I recommend BC's southern Okanagan area,
Osoyoos north to Penticton area. Kamloops also has IMO a very good climate.

I agree with Candle, Vancouver summers might be a touch too cool, however you can live farther inland
but still within commuting distance, for example Abbotsford avg high's are 3 to 5 degrees warmer
than Vancouver.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Thank you for your answers...I will be taking some time to learn what I can about Oregon and New Mexico. I remember vacationing in Penticton when I was a kid, it was beautiful! I think that living in Canada will probably have to wait until retirement.

Last edited by pipermarie66; 10-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Come to the mild side!

Sequim, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anacortes, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cle Elum, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (okay maybe not as mild as the others I'm listing but still a fantastic climate that generally isn't too extreme in either direction)

Arlington, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oak Harbor, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Aside from coastal areas, I second the notion that you might like New Mexico. Certain lower elevation climates in Colorado may also interest you.

Boulder, Colorado might be of interest. Although hot in summer (87/56F), it isn't that scorching, and the winters aren't really cold (46/19F), but the amount of snow may be too much for you. Grand Junction may be a better Coloradan choice. The winters are colder and summers are hotter, but the amount of snow is much less. Santa Fe, in New Mexico, has milder conditions overall.

It's also possible you might like Sierra Vista, Arizona. The milder coastal locales have already been pointed out.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

I should clarify that I don't mind hot summers as long as they are not in the triple digits for 6 months...I would be happy with anything below 95 F. I just don't want to have to pick an extreme, blazing hot summers or freezing cold winters. I would live in San Diego or somewhere in California except housing is pretty outrageous and my husband is no longer a fan after 22 years there. I was checking some of the areas in Washington but they seem a little cool in the summer and I worry about the humidity.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
southern Oregon might be good — Roseburg, Medford & Ashland. Hottish (highs around 90) but dry summers, mild winters. Eugene is cooler and cloudier but not as bad as Washington.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Eastern Washington locations are dry year round. (I mentioned Cle Elum above which is Eastern WA, here are a few more. You will see that Walla Walla and Kennewick will have slightly milder winters than Wenatchee and Spokane).

Wenatchee, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Also see: East Wenatchee, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Walla Walla, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kennewick, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermarie66 View Post
I was born and raised in Canada...hot humid summers and long cold winters..Currently living in Yuma, AZ...beautiful winters and long hot summers, triple digits since May. It seems I have gone from 6 months of frigid weather to 6 months of suffocating weather...they are both hell!! Other than California which I love but my husband does not, where are some of the best places to live that have better temperatures? I love to garden.. dont want it to be too humid... I could handle 2 months of snow but not the 5 or 6 months I grew up with...I prefer it was not mosquito heaven...Does such a place exist? Thanks so much.
Many people who move for “weather reasons”…. often make the mistake of moving from one extreme to another: They can’t take the endless winters of the upper Midwest - so they move to the endless summer of Florida, or they can’t take the heat of a AZ summer – so they move to the cold of a Montana winter. Yuma is one of the driest and sunniest locations in the United States (and maybe the world in terms of sun). Considering where you’re coming from... I would be very cautious about moving to the far NW portion of the USA without spending some time there.

Once much above California, the amount of cloudy skies/frequent drizzly weather increase tenfold. You might what a change from the non-stop relentless sun and hot summers of southern AZ….but you might be trading it in for the frequent cloudy skies and drizzle of the PNW. The same goes for temps, most of the cities in Oregon are not so bad, as there is some warmth far a good part of the year (April through October). However, once up into Washington (Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham…etc) and into SW Canada (Vancouver, etc) much of the year not only features cloudy weather, but cool weather as well – 7 of 12 months a year have average high temperatures below 60 F (only in the 50’s or 40’s F from Sept though April) . That is quite a drastic change from southern AZ where no months have high temps below 60 F.

If you have family in the Western USA and want to stay in that region, my guess is you might consider the higher desert SW, maybe New Mexcio, maybe southern Colorado,etc. I pasted in a few maps to show the yearly extremes (cloudiest month, coldest/warmest months)….hope it helps:

Hrs of Sunshine: You can see what happens once much above CA. The cool season (Oct - April) is the worst, while May to Sept sees more sun. You can see the huge difference between AZ and the PNW in winter in terms of sunshine:

Coldest Month mean temps: You can see in the winter months where the warm spots are on the mainland. Yuma has a Jan mean temp of 55 F.

Warmest Month mean temps: You can see where the coldest mean temps are. Yuma has a mean temp of about 90 F;

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-10-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather