Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

To all the people who pushed global warming on us when the U.S had a 3 day heat wave...Where are you now?

Is this what global warming looks like? Over 2000 new low temperature records set in October | Watts Up With That?

"In the continental USA, there were 137 high temperature type records versus 857 low temperature type records this past week , a 6-1 difference. Last week there were 1154 low temperature type records putting the two week total for October at 2,011. There were also 24 new snowfall records set this week in the upper plains."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM

559 posts, read 748,067 times
I don't believe "global warming" is the correct term, but rather climate change. It's not exactly that the temperatures are getting hotter, but more like there's more extremes. For example, last year we had an extremely hot July, but then 3 months later Snowtober, and not to mention the extremely wet August/September and Irene in between.Then the non-existant winter and warmest March ever came, followed by a hot summer again, but now we're setting a bunch of record lows. So basically it's not necessarily getting hotter, it's just that the weather is getting more unusual/extreme.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
I don't believe "global warming" is the correct term, but rather climate change..

100% agree with this. Unfortunetly thats not what "they" want us to believe. The fact that "they" are just pushing the warm records indicates what they are implying. But if you read what is written.."Global Warming" is mentioned. Its unfortunete because those reading this are keen to weather events but the general public uses "them" for info.

I remember a story about some pot holes and sink holes that formed and the news person said "this is what happens in a "warming world".

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Meh, weather extremes have always been around. Frigid winters of the little ice age, dust bowl summers and so on... One call it climate change, but the fact is that the global temps are warming and there's little room to dispute it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I remember a story about some pot holes and sink holes that formed and the news person said "this is what happens in a "warming world".
Lol, some people see global warming everywhere. In the 90s some were saying that mild winters were caused by global warming and now I hear that the row of below-normal winters in Europe is also a consequence of global warming. I guess it's easy to blame. The weather does not stick to the averages? Must be global warming!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Meh, weather extremes have always been around. Frigid winters of the little ice age, dust bowl summers and so on... One call it climate change, but the fact is that the global temps are warming and there's little room to dispute it.

The weather does not stick to the averages?

Quite true.

Over many decades of examining climate data (both long and short term) you always see that records are made to be broken. The length of the climate record EVERYWHERE on earth is tiny…we never have a clear picture of the extremes.

Additionally, since the HALLMARK of middle latitude climates (places between 25 and 55 N/S) is a wide gradient in record temps/precip/..etc - it is to be expected that records will always come and go.

I would be really worried about global cooling - if I saw Darwin or Key West fall to 20 F….

I would really be worried about global warming - if I saw Point Barrow or McMurdo hit 100 F…

Otherwise…(thankfully) the middle latitudes are where all the extremes in temperature contortions are…

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I find it interesting how this cooler than normal weather is receiving so much attention, no one bats an eyelash at record highs. If I'm not mistaking, my area has been running mostly above average for a couple of years now, this cool start to October is nothing in comparison.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Note that that site puts in record highs/lows for even cooperative weather stations, and these stations have various length of data....some just a few years long. For NWS office, only official record reports are sent for stations that have a verified length of temperature data that has been QC'd. Thus locally in eastern ND/northwest MN under NWS Grand Forks, only temp records are sent out for four sites..... Devils Lake ND, Grand Forks airport, UND/NWS Grand Forks, and Fargo.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,052 times
Quote:
To all the people who pushed global warming on us when the U.S had a 3 day heat wave...Where are you now?
I'm not pushing anything, but I could upload a map of the Rocky Mountain region that shows a persistent and unprecedented heat wave that we have endured. I can show a summer with 11 days of 100°+ and 38 days of 95°+ for my city, an area where the average summer high is about 82° and temperatures over the century mark are supposed to be rare.

I don't care what it's called, but from my perspective, and I've been on the planet more than 6 decades, and from a scientific consensus, it is getting warmer. There's a lot of practical evidence just to the west of me of the consequences of warming.

Eventually, Mother Nature and Father Time will sort things out. They won't take the human race into account either.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
Haven't kept up with the global temperature anomalies lately, but that's all that global warming is: rising anomalies over time.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:

Is this what global warming looks like? Over 2000 new low temperature records set in October | Watts Up With That?

"In the continental USA, there were 137 high temperature type records versus 857 low temperature type records this past week , a 6-1 difference. Last week there were 1154 low temperature type records putting the two week total for October at 2,011. There were also 24 new snowfall records set this week in the upper plains."
Your map shows record low max temp in my neck of the woods, but none officially happened around here(NWS). The record low here occurred in 1988 for October 13th (32f). We got to 37f, not even close.

Our average October temps are running -.4 for the month, basically average. And now we are heading into warmer weather. Big deal. Temps fluctuate here all the time, but trust me, this past cool weather here was nothing to write home about.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 10-14-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather