Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better "cool-for-latitude" climate?
Vladivostok 12 38.71%
Kiandra 19 61.29%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:52 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that both climates are one of the most coolest for their latitude and altitude (at least in their perspective country).

For its low coastal location and latitude (43'N), Vladivostok is dramatically cooler than other places in its latitude in the winter, having subfreezing highs for three months. On the other hand, the 1395m elevated place, Kiandra (which is at 35'S), has relatively cold summers, despite its inland location and latitude. Many comparable locations, which are on that latitude and an even higher altitude, still manage to have hotter summers (such as those in the USA, China and Turkey).

Back to topic, which of these feeble anomalous climates do you prefer?

Vladivostok, Russia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladivostok#Climate
Kiandra, NSW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiandr..._Wales#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
I choose Kiandra. The main reason for this is that even though Vladivostok has vastly warmer summer nights the summers are very wet and cloudy. Kiandra is pushing ten hours of sunshine per day during summer compared to only 4-5 in Vladivostok. And the summer highs are similar, so I think I'd find summer afternoons more enjoyable in Kiandra (the only time of year I'd actually like being outside in either climate).

Not to mention that Vladivostok's winters are really severe - to the point that it would impact upon livability (water pipes bursting, etc.).

Old 10-15-2016, 06:22 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,409 times
Kiandra because Vladivostok's winters are too cold.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:53 AM

126 posts, read 88,692 times
Both suck in their own special way. Good battle for once that actually involves tradeoffs for both heat and cold lovers. Do I pick the reasonable summers in Vladivostok or the warmer winters and more sunshine (and possibly more thunderstorms) in Kiandra?

In the case of Kiandra, hotter weather is a simple drive away, not so much the case in Vladivostok. That, and the better sunshine and probable better thunderstorm activity win me over.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
What makes you say kiandra has more thunderstorms, Vladivostok has warmer summers, is more humid, and has significantly more summer rainfall. I is the fact that Vladivostok is so cloudy, so that you assume it's mostly light rain? Here is YouTube video of a lightning strike in Vladivostok, I don't know how often that happens but I have never seen something like that happen here in Seattle.

https://youtu.be/P_6cMhVSLoI

Old 10-15-2016, 11:06 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
What makes you say kiandra has more thunderstorms, Vladivostok has warmer summers, is more humid, and has significantly more summer rainfall. I is the fact that Vladivostok is so cloudy, so that you assume it's mostly light rain? Here is YouTube video of a lightning strike in Vladivostok, I don't know how often that happens but I have never seen something like that happen here in Seattle.

https://youtu.be/P_6cMhVSLoI
That's the East Asian monsoon for you

Naturally the humid summers with those very mild nights render significant thunderstorm activity. However, I think the droves of wet snow Kiandra will accumulate during winter without a significant reliable snow cover would be a great hassle. I think Vladivostok is better simply because August is an awesome month there. 23.2/17.7 is just fabulous, it reminds me of when our summers turn cloudy and humid with warm fronts nearby. It's kind of exciting! I'd also take July and September there over anything Kiandra has.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Kiandra for sure due to much warmer winters

Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
In the case of Kiandra, hotter weather is a simple drive away, not so much the case in Vladivostok.
Not really (in summers). However the place where you drive for the heat is called... North Korea

Old 10-15-2016, 01:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Vladivostok easily. Although Kiandra isn't bad for Australia.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
Vladivostok is arguably the ****tiest climate on the face of the Earth considering the latitude. Brutal continental winters, with humid, cold marine summers. Just disgusting. Kiandra is an easy winner altho its climate sucks too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather