U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer comfortable or interesting weather?
comfortable 23 44.23%
interesting 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,875,954 times

Advertisements

This is something I often have trouble deciding between when rating climates. I value both to an extent so picking which is more important is difficult sometimes. So this poll is to find out how others decide between the two. Of course, what people find comfortable or interesting varies from person to person. But I would define the two as follows:

Comfortable: when weather doesn't interfere with day to day life, and when you can spend a lot of time outdoors and schedule outdoor events without much worry about weather causing you to feel discomfort.

Interesting: more flexible here - rain, thunderstorms, snow, blizzards, rainbows, temperature extremes (hot or cold) - whatever floats your boat.

My guess is that this being a "weather forum", "interesting" weather will prevail but let's see what we get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,352,192 times
Nice, pleasant weather is always appreciated, but I would go stir-crazy without the diversity. I love the different seasons and am a winter weather event nut.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,036,485 times
Comfortable all the way. I prefer not having to worry too much as to whether the weather may spoil any outdoor activities for me.

Occasionally I like the odd thunderstorm or hot/cold spell, but this should definitely be in the minority.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM
NCN

21,147 posts, read 23,586,675 times
I read a play once where every day was Christmas. No garbage pick up, presents every day until it got to be a problem. I see the weather this way. If it never rains, is never windy, never cold, etc. it would bore most of us to tears. I like living where the weather not only changes by the season; it changes by the day, hour and sometimes by the minute. Good ole North Carolina. If you don't like the weather, just stick around and it will change.

I don't really like hurricanes, thunder storms or tornados, but the air is so fresh after they go through and our trees get pruned for free. Just look at the bright side. We feel so blessed to have lived through them and survived. It makes us really appreciate a day like today when the temperature is about 70 and the leaves are getting pretty and the sun is perfect.

Sunday69° / 46° Monday75° / 46° Tuesday77° / 48° Wednesday78° / 50° ...

No rain but clouds on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Last Winter was boring in that I did not see one snow flake. I hope we get a little snow this year.

Last edited by NCN; 10-21-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,647,900 times
I value both, I'd like for comfortable weather to dominate the year but interesting weather is a must. Too much of one thing is boring. What I prefer largely depends on what the current weather conditions are, I've noticed that when I rate climates their rating depends on my mood and what I'd like at that particular moment. If we were in the dead of winter, Phoenix would probably receive an A+, but if I were to rate it in the summer it'd probably score a B with points taken off for being super dry and boring.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,581,811 times
The only reason I'm interested in the weather is because I appreciate the extremes. The prospect of living in a climate such as San Diego fills me with dread. It's even more dull than San Fran.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM

558 posts, read 671,812 times
Interesting IS comfortable to me, so I'd say interesting weather. 70 degrees and sunny every day is boring. I like variety.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,906,445 times
Comfortable in that I want snowy winters and mild, sunny summers - but nothing hot and rarely anything very cold. I would be fine never seeing any blizzards or strong thunderstorms either.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM

13,896 posts, read 8,171,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
Interesting IS comfortable to me, so I'd say interesting weather
lol, I say the opposite. Comfortable weather is interesting to me.

I like certain kinds of "interesting" weather, like snowstorms. However, I'd be perfectly happy if I never lived through another thunderstorm, hurricane, or heat wave ever again. And comfortable weather has its intrinsic benefits, so I choose comfortable weather.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,369,248 times
I want temperatures to be in the comfortable range, with the occasional excursion. But some interesting weather from storms, changing cloud cover, and temperature swings (within the comfortable range) is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather