Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times

Advertisements

I'm in southwestern New Hampshire about 2-3 hours inland (~100-120 miles from the coast). Last year we got a huge storm over Halloween weekend with 8-10" of snow (then a very mild winter after that, very odd). During the hurricane (if I am remembering correctly, that was a different storm earlier in the season) we got torrential rains. I found out that my house's roof had several little leaks. (Luckily, that house's roof was JUST replaced this past week -- great timing although I didn't know it at the time!) There were no power outages in my neighborhood last year although there were several in neighboring towns (both during the hurricane and the Halloween weekend storm).

This year it looks like they're expecting torrential rains and some heavy winds again. I am now in a different house about 15 minutes' drive from my old neighborhood. My current house is on about 1.29 acres of land with lots of trees. I am a little concerned about the trees. We have buried utilities in this area so I'm hoping there won't be power outages (I know, I know, I may be dreaming!).

I have plenty of food and water although I may fill up 2 bathtubs with water just in case. And I do need to go get some batteries if my local stores aren't all sold out -- I found my camping lantern but it takes 8 size D batteries and of course I don't have that size.

Best of luck to all of you wherever you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Don't forget condoms and birth control pills. They don't call these storms, "Baby Makers" for no good reason! There is not much to do with no power, and it gets quite chilly!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Flood Watch and High Wind Watch issued by the NWS. Wind gusts potentially reaching 65 MPH and 4-8 inches of rain possible.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A HIGH
WIND WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH
TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTH AT 35 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 55 TO
65 MPH ARE ANTICIPATED MONDAY AND TUESDAY. THESE WINDS MAY THEN
SHIFT TO THE WEST LATE MONDAY AS THE STORM MOVES ACROSS OUR
AREA.

* TIMING...THE WINDS WILL INCREASE LATER SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. THE
STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR DURING MONDAY.

* IMPACTS...A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HIGH WINDS WILL INCREASE THE
POTENTIAL FOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE, DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES.
THE COMBINATION OF THE WIND, INCREASINGLY SOFTENED GROUND, AND
SOME TREES STILL WITH LEAVES, COULD RESULT IN WIDESPREAD POWER
OUTAGES MONDAY AND TUESDAY. TREES COULD BE COMPLETELY UPROOTED
AND MANY TREE LIMBS BROKEN. POWER OUTAGES MAY BE OF LONG
DURATION.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS EXPANDED THE

* FLOOD WATCH TO INCLUDE PORTIONS OF NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND
NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN
NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...MORRIS...SUSSEX AND WARREN. IN NORTHEAST
PENNSYLVANIA...CARBON AND MONROE.

* FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* 4 TO 8 INCHES OF RAIN WITH LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS ACROSS THE
AREA.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM

317 posts, read 576,224 times
so i just went out for a little extra stuff, like a Jesus candle, some matches, and 3 cases of water, plus more beer.

cans of spaghetti o's, instant coffee and a few boxes of power bars

Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
NY State Gov. Cuomo just announced that all MTA service will be suspended in the Greater NYC area this evening at 7PM. This includes all NYC subway & bus service as well as the Long Island Railroad and Metro North commuter trains.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:28 AM

NJ transit service will be suspended starting at 4PM. Path train service between NJ & NY will be suspended tonight at midnight.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Well...that pretty much shuts everything down. Glad I don't live there..as a first responder, I would be sleeping in my office now.

Best wishes to you guys. Better to over prepare than under prepare.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM

317 posts, read 576,224 times
Lower Westchester county here

Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,594,300 times
Heard that as the storm moves inland, it's actually going to whip up the water in the Great Lakes to levels of 25 feet. Ugh, I'm just sad that'll be cold, rainy, and windy.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM

The Holland Tunnel between NY & NJ as well as the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will be closed at 2PM today (Monday). Also the New Jersey Turnpike has been closed as well as a large section of the Garden State Parkway (in NJ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather