U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,535,159 times

Advertisements

Hey all, My family and I are planning a move from So Cali to NH. We are going to be driving there. I am just curious how bad the weather might be when we leave for this venture. We are planning on moving either Dec or Jan. Of course being from So Cali we arent experienced at driving in the snow at all. I am kinda nervous about making such a big move in winter, but this is when we need to do it. Any winter weather driving tips would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,087,378 times
you're brave girly.... go slow! Add a couple days to your trip to be safe.. Get good tires before you leave, all seasons. We drove up from in Jan and we had rain tires on our truck, and then got hit with a big ice storm.. slip and slide to say the least! Watch the weather the night before you leave and see what you're up for.. And every time you stop recheck the weather ... Its an art to drive in the snow.. I did it in Jan for the first time...
#1...DON'T accelerate fast.. if you're going up a hill slowly push on the gas to get the car to change gears. I couldn't get my car to change gears up a mountain so I hit the gas a bit harder and fishtailed.

#2 If its going to be freezing cold get dry gas.. Most stations switch to it where it snows..

#3 If you stop at a hotel and there is going to be ice lift your windshield wipers off your window the night before so they don't stick to the window, you'll have a hard time getting them unstuck and can break em. Also the doorlock might freeze, have a lighter so you can heat the car key and stick it in to melt the ice...

#4.. Put extra blankets, food, water, matches etc in the back of your car incase you get stuck or stranded , you don't wanna die from not having any of the above. Scary thought but it happens. Might even consider some sand or kitty litter incase your tires get stuck...

Thats all I can think of right now, thats all the preps we made driving up in the winter and it worked for us Make sure to talk to your mechanic about your car, they'll recommend oils and stuff (if they're dependable and don't try to screw ya over)..

Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,185,604 times
Yes, be extremely carefull. My best advice would be don't move before at least mid-April, but you've already decided when to move.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM

1,355 posts, read 3,909,203 times
I recommend you take I-10 all the way to I-95 and then take that up to New England. It may not be the shortest in miles but you'll have the best chance of avoiding winter weather on that route. Plus, if I remember correctly the speed limit in West Texas is 80 MPH. So you can just zip right along! Be sure to enjoy the scenery along the way though.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I recommend you take I-10 all the way to I-95 and then take that up to New England. It may not be the shortest in miles but you'll have the best chance of avoiding winter weather on that route. Plus, if I remember correctly the speed limit in West Texas is 80 MPH. So you can just zip right along! Be sure to enjoy the scenery along the way though.
I agree. I-95 will allow you to avoid a lot of the Appalachian mountains.
Normally I'd recommend a drive through those mountains, but in winter they could be really scary.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,957,788 times
Do not take short cuts, stay on the main roads. Just because there is a road on a map, that doesn't make it a good route in the winter. There are many roads that are not plowed in the winter, especially in rural areas. We had a couple near here get stranded last winter. The man had a heart attack and died. His wife had to walk out and find help, then it took a helicopter to locate where they were stuck. Luckily they didn't have little kids with them, that would have been worse then it already was.

Have plenty of windshield wash in your trunk. If its bad weather, you will use alot of it.

If you get the de-icer spray for your door locks and door frame (we have had our doors, door handles and trunk, frozen shut) do not keep it in the trunk, lol. Been there done that, lol.

Get 2 sets of chains for such a long trip. I have known a few people who had them break.

Buy a roadside hazard kit, you can get them at any car care place, sometimes they have them at Costco, etc.

Drive safe!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

If your car has rear-window and side-mirror electric "defog", use them whenever you start seeing snow. They can even help when it's damp and rainy.

If you bring wet stuff into the car it's too easy for the windows to fog up, so try to keep the inside dry, put wet stuff into plastic bags. Leave them in the trunk if you have one.

You can keep windows clear in damp weather by either leaving the windows open, or turning up the heat.

On days like 25-35 F with sloppy snow and 100% humidity and you're having difficulty keeping the windows clear, it makes a noticeable difference driving with the cabin temp at 80 F versus 65-70 F.

If you have air-conditioning you might be able to get around needing a hot car to have dry windows. Mine doesn't work, and I like heat, so I drive with the heat as hot as I can stand to keep the windows clear.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:10 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,535,159 times
Thank you all for your responses!! I am a bit nervous, but if I take precautions that you all mentioned, we should be ok. We dont need to rush either, so that is a good thing. I do think I will look into the I-10 to the I-95, anything to avoid as much of the winter weather as we can. Again thanks for the tips.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,637,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey all, My family and I are planning a move from So Cali to NH. We are going to be driving there. I am just curious how bad the weather might be when we leave for this venture. We are planning on moving either Dec or Jan. Of course being from So Cali we arent experienced at driving in the snow at all. I am kinda nervous about making such a big move in winter, but this is when we need to do it. Any winter weather driving tips would be appreciated.
You should be fine. Most of the major highways are trucking routes (like I-70) and they are kept free of snow. You can also opt to go the southern route, like though AZ and NM and TX.... Not me, though, I'm heading right up over the Rockies.... wooohoo!

Greenie

Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM

11,369 posts, read 47,095,928 times
Don't rush out to buy "two sets of chains". If road conditions are bad enough or forecast to be that bad that chains are needed to get by ... you should have headed for a motel and parked your vehicle. Being out in that level of adverse condition is not the time or place to be learning how to drive in the snow/ice. You're not only a hazard to yourself, but to the other drivers on the road who are acclimated to driving in this situation and will be driving way faster than you can possibly do at that point.

For the most part, plowed roads and clear weather conditions will be well met with your careful driving on all-season or snow tires. If you are slipping and sliding all around with gentle application of throttle and brakes ... it's time to be off the road and wait it out. Even if that means stopping at a highway rest stop instead of conveniently in town somewhere .... be prepared for a stop of some duration with blankets, winter layering clothing, and food/water in your car. It may be an inconvenience, but it's better than waiting for help having driven off the road or having an accident with damage to your car.

CCanadian has some good advice re keeping windows clear ... to improve airflow over sidewindows to clear them, "crack" the window open just a little bit. It will clear them and keep them clear until the inside air temp in your car is enough to keep the windows clear. Some cars have poor airflow in this area, so you may have to experiment with what works for you ... and may have to keep a window cracked open a little bit for clear viewing. Better to have the little bit of airflow noise and clear vision than not be able to see clearly around you.

Don't forget to bring a couple of windshield ice scrapers and brushes to clear snow. The combination units are good, but you'll go through a couple of the cheap ones every season. Have several on hand, and have a nice pair of heavy waterproof gloves or mittens for when you are clearing the ice and snow off your car. If you have room in your car trunk, it's nice to have a full size broom for clearing snow off the car ... you can get a two handed load of snow moved at a time. Do clear your whole car before driving ... you don't want to leave a bunch of snow on the roof and have it slide down to cover a windshield when you drive away.

Don't depend upon the defroster and warming the motor up before driving to clear ice off the windshield ..... you may crack the glass with that much heat from the defroster ... so clear the ice as much as possible first with your ice scraper. Get "winter" blades for your wipers ... they have a cover on them that keeps the snow/ice from packing into the blade and keeps them working better. If you have regular blades, or they pack up with snow, you can clear them by "shaking" the blade when stopped against the windshield ... don't hesitate to get off the road and clear them if they pack up or you'll be without effective wipers and your windshield can get iced up pretty quickly.

Driving smoothly and gently will have the most affect in getting around in adverse conditions. Plan your stopping with a lot more distance and gentle application of the brakes ... if you plan for the distance and don't need it, that's a lot better than not anticipating poor traction and needing to stop. Stopping will generally be more important than getting going .....

Minimize your distractions while driving in adverse conditions. You need to pay attention to what's going on with the road and traffic. You'll find that listening to the sound of the tires on the road will help tell you what kind of surface you're on ... wet, sloppy, icy, snowpacked, etc., and what to expect in handling and traction at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather