Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: deneb78's climates
Toronto 15 34.09%
Vancouver 6 13.64%
Ottawa 11 25.00%
Shenzhen 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times

Advertisements

If one can tolerate or enjoy the 2 weeks "heat wave" in mid July in Toronto, then they might like Shen Zhen's CLIMATE !

Hey 9 or 10 months of Toronto-like summer, then 2 months of Toronto-like late Spring (May) and Fall (Sept). What do you expect I have been to Hong Kong and area in the summer, that's why I can tell from my personal experience: Warm, some sweat (but your body will adjust to it), 9 or 10 months of beach days, no snow to shovel, just T shirts & shorts for 9 months (Toronto summer like), cheap to see different cultures in East & SE Asia as opposed to monotone in NA (except French Quebec) ...

If you can tolerate/love mid July in Toronto, you will have more options !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Shenzhen. Monsoon makes the sweltering summers more bearable. But why are Feb and Mar so cloudy? That's something that's always confused me about Chinese subtropical climates -- the fact that they're so cloudy during winter, which coincides with the driest time of year.

Among the Canadian climates I would pick Toronto. Vancouver is warmer overall, but Toronto has much drier, sunnier winters. It also has much warmer summers and more of interest in general -- snow, thunderstorms, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM

I asked myself the same question: Why's it cloudy in the winter in Toronto ?

Perhaps some expert can answer that question but it's pretty boring in Toronto during winter. Most trees have no leaves of course, grey sky most of the time, dirty snow mixed with ice (depending on year), snow banks, getting dark sooner, no lushly green lawns (I love the beautiful scenery in S/Central Florida: Royal palms, coconut palms, lushly green lawns, flowers everywhere especially in S FL).

There's no comparison between Toronto and S FL in the winter. Other than that, spring summer and fall are nice in Toronto, winter is bearable but I prefer S FL.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I asked myself the same question: Why's it cloudy in the winter in Toronto ?

Perhaps some expert can answer that question
but it's pretty boring in Toronto during winter. Most trees have no leaves of course, grey sky most of the time, dirty snow mixed with ice (depending on year), snow banks, getting dark sooner, no lushly green lawns (I love the beautiful scenery in S/Central Florida: Royal palms, coconut palms, lushly green lawns, flowers everywhere especially in S FL).

There's no comparison between Toronto and S FL in the winter. Other than that, spring summer and fall are nice in Toronto, winter is bearable but I prefer S FL.
I'm no expert, but I can take a shot at that one (why so cloudy in Toronto during winter).

Toronto suffers from the same probelm in winter that Vancouver does - its' a weigh station for storms. In the cold season (Nov - March), when the jet stream plunges out of Canada (although it often goses back and forth all winter), the storm belt is right through the northern Great Lakes. Storms that come from CA and the West Coast....from Mexcio and the Gulf States....from Colorado and the middle Plains....all converge and pass through the Great lakes. Storms = low pressure, low pressure = clouds. Although Tornonto is not nearly as stormy as Vancouver/PNW the same players are at work.'

Of course, in Florida you have the complete opposite players on the Field: High pressure elongated from off West Africa through the Bahamas to the SW Caribbean Sea keeps Florida in a sunny and stable weather pattern most often. As you know if you winter in Florida, winters are often very dry. High pressue = dry weather, dry weather = sunshine.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I'm no expert, but I can take a shot at that one (why so cloudy in Toronto during winter).

Toronto suffers from the same probelm in winter that Vancouver does - its' a weigh station for storms. In the cold season (Nov - March), when the jet stream plunges out of Canada (although it often goses back and forth all winter), the storm belt is right through the northern Great Lakes. Storms that come from CA and the West Coast....from Mexcio and the Gulf States....from Colorado and the middle Plains....all converge and pass through the Great lakes. Storms = low pressure, low pressure = clouds. Although Tornonto is not nearly as stormy as Vancouver/PNW the same players are at work.'

Of course, in Florida you have the complete opposite players on the Field: High pressure elongated from off West Africa through the Bahamas to the SW Caribbean Sea keeps Florida in a sunny and stable weather pattern most often. As you know if you winter in Florida, winters are often very dry. High pressue = dry weather, dry weather = sunshine.
Thanks for the explanation.

That's why close to a million Canadian snowbirds escape the winter blues every year, the majority of them choose Florida. Close to one million out of only 32 million total population is a lot, they spend $ just to escape the so hated Canadian winter.

The fact speaks for itself !

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

That's why close to a million Canadian snowbirds escape the winter blues every year, the majority of them choose Florida. Close to one million out of only 32 million total population is a lot, they spend $ just to escape the so hated Canadian winter.

The fact speaks for itself !
And to think.. there are quite a few on this forum who would give anything at the chance to experience winter in most places in Canada.. year after year after year

Old 11-29-2012, 05:12 AM

That's why I said the fact speaks for itself.

If I am not mistaken, around 60% escape to Florida (warmest) the rest spread among those southern states with Texas being the 2nd destination with obvious reason (2nd warmest), then Arizona, CA, Georgia and I think SC & NC too.

I actually know someone who lives around Toronto and go to an island in Georgia every winter.

Canadians are lucky or not lucky depending on how you look at it.

Being next to the US with such a gifted warm places like Florida and Texas in the winter, Canadians can drive there in 2 days and spend a couple of months to 6 months enjoying the warm (not -40C/-40F but I am sure some really enjoy -40C/-40F though) climate. You immediately save the cost of car rentals plus air tickets minus gas/mileage/hotels. Because they can drive down to the States, various types of accomodations are open up for them to choose such a houses, condos, trailers, travel trailers, home model ... you name it.

The second reason is the our universal health care. Canadians don't have to fork out US$10K to 20K to buy private health insurance, they only need to buy top up insurance which is based on our length of provincial coverage, and the rate is much cheaper than the American counterpart. But if they have company insurance then they are automatically covered (topped up) to 1.5 months (in some cases, I don't know much about other companies plans).

Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Toronto, no question. One of the better real-life climates in the world. And a city where I could move to!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Vancouver hands down- temperatures that stay in the comfort zone will still having seasonal shifts. Small amount of snow in winter so one can enjoy it on occasional without having to deal with the headaches of blizzards, driving in snow every day for 3 months, shoveling it etc. Summers are a bit cooler than I'd like bit still pleasant.

I rate Vancouver as an "A" climate

Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Shenzhen though I despise the gloomy springs and hazy conditions in the area.

Hey, I'm gonna steal your idea for a poll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather