U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,161,313 times

Advertisements

YES, I heard that on TWC, too. Actually now it's way down from Texas nearly up to our border. (So. Dak). No, we don't go just for storm warnings. The only time we do is if there is a tornado warning. The thunderstorms and tornado watches really don't have much of an affect on us except of course for hail. I believe there was only one time this tornado season that we went to the shelter. It did touch down on the east side of town and demolished a few shelter belts, garages, and one house. (Actually, I don't think the area is actually even considered to be city limits) So it really isn't an inconvenience since it rarely occurs that we need to seek very sturdy shelter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,457,957 times
When I lived in Dallas a friend had a house built and was investigating storm rooms. We had all the brochures laid out and were comparing them. Most said "Will survive a Cat 4 wind". But some said "Will survive a Cat 4 wind and most flying debree."

So be careful what you look into and read it carefully.

Final said and done, he opted for a storm shelter that him and his son could go into with some comfort and amenities. Even had bunks in there to relax and catch some sleep. He said, "I don't need to sleep in there, just hide from a tornado." I said, "How many days is that house going to be setting on your exit before they dig you out?" he said, "Good point."

Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 AM

21,367 posts, read 34,384,422 times
Here in Bethel, Alaska we don't have to worry too much about severe storms. But once every few years we get a funnel cloud or two. There really isn't any place to seek shelter, the houses are build on sandpads right on top of the tundra. We have no basements. It scares me to think if a actual tornado touched down here. These were taken on August 20th, 2007.

It faded away before it touched down, only came half way down to the ground.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM

177 posts, read 410,463 times
OMG - I didn't even think tornadoes were possible in that part of Alaska! I guess that proves there truly is nowhere to move and completely avoid them.

krun4k - I noticed when I visited Omaha that most residences had basements, and the basements were, for the most part, under the ground. Basements are not standard where I live, unless you have a sloping lawn. Then, they are only partially submerged and include a wall of windows. They call them "daylight basements". What a joke!

jgussler - It sounds like the information your friend received was similar to what I learned about the storm shelters. I am definitely opting for one that also includes safety from flying debris, including large objects and vehicles. My biggest concern was that most of the vendors could not absolutely guarantee safety from an F5 (old fujita scale - not too familiar with new one). Luckily, I do not think Georgia has experienced an F5 except when the 1974 super outbreak occurred.

Of course, the thought of being trapped in one of those boxes for hours is disturbing, but I suppose I can deal with the inconvenience in exchange for the peace of mind (I hope ).

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,161,313 times
Do they make storm shelters that will withstand an F-5? Sorry, I'm not really that familiar with them since basements or public storm shelters are the norm here. But speaking of basements, YEARS ago people used to go to their cellars or basements and sometimes it wasn't very safe. They would find that the house would be destroyed and farm machinery would fly right into the basements. Guess there's just nothing safe when it's time to go.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 AM

11 posts, read 29,906 times
I guess that I have to say after living in Nebraska and Kansas most of my life that I've only experienced tornados that have hit other people. Maybe luck? We lived in Omaha in 1975 when it was hit by an F4. I've driven in and past some bad storms with tornados and it's not that we can't get hit but it's that rare even here.
Geog, yeah my sister lived in Florida for many years with countless severe storms associated with hurricanes and absolutely NO basements or shelters. It was the same in NC when I was there. Give me great Clay soil and a basement no matter how small it is!!
In the 1975 tornado in Omaha, the F4, it picked up 2 ton stones marking the entrance to a local cemetery and tossed them like they weighed nothing. If you need a storm shelter in your area that doesn't dig basements what kind of anchors would it have?
The only thing worse than being trapped in a room for hours on end would be being tossed end over end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather