Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 05:58 PM

276 posts, read 134,957 times

Advertisements

25C indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 PM

208 posts, read 151,117 times
When the temperature is below -15C. Closing the window and putting another coat and gloves is more effective and much cheaper.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:44 AM

14,263 posts, read 11,578,880 times
Our furnace doesn't work, but it's okay because we don't even think about it unless the house gets down below 60F, which is almost never. Otherwise we naturally put on warmer clothes in cooler weather, and lighter clothes when it's warm. The idea that a house interior should be exactly the same temperature all year round is a little weird. There is an acceptable range which varies with the seasons.

Southern California here, so November or December through March is when some people use heat. A lot of people get by without; we're not the only ones.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:59 AM

6,715 posts, read 4,148,219 times
When highs drop into the 50s, lows into the 40s it's usually time. I like to maintain an indoor temperature of around 70 degrees at least.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,530,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Our furnace doesn't work, but it's okay because we don't even think about it unless the house gets down below 60F, which is almost never. Otherwise we naturally put on warmer clothes in cooler weather, and lighter clothes when it's warm. The idea that a house interior should be exactly the same temperature all year round is a little weird. There is an acceptable range which varies with the seasons.

Southern California here, so November or December through March is when some people use heat. A lot of people get by without; we're not the only ones.
Jeebus! 60°F is frigid for an indoor temp. I remember the first fall/winter I lived on my own, I had to cave and turn the heater on around Thanksgiving when my indoor temp dropped to 70°F (let alone 60°F)!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:44 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,260,999 times
It should be on already but it's been quite mild so it's still off.

Maybe next weekend when the lows hit 0c.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:54 AM

14,263 posts, read 11,578,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Jeebus! 60°F is frigid for an indoor temp. I remember the first fall/winter I lived on my own, I had to cave and turn the heater on around Thanksgiving when my indoor temp dropped to 70°F (let alone 60°F)!
I think you're a bit of an outlier in this regard. I suspect by far the majority of people would consider 70F a comfortable indoor temperature.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,530,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you're a bit of an outlier in this regard. I suspect by far the majority of people would consider 70F a comfortable indoor temperature.
To be fair, you can't even AC your home/apt to 70 in summer here without spending a fortune in electric bills. So these days, we set our t-stat to 73°F year round

Old 11-19-2020, 12:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 11,286,833 times
I live in a 40 unit, 4 story, 60 year old apartment building. I'm on the second level, and have neighboring apartments above, below and on both sides. I hear almost no noise from adjacent apartments due to the thick concrete walls, floors and ceilings, plus insulation in my ceiling. My apartment is about 520 sq ft (50 sq meters), and the outer walls are over 1 foot thick of concrete and insulating blocks. Each room has a wall panel near the window, connected to hot water heating pipes. The heat radiating out of the hot water panels is silent, and gradually heats up the room. The hot water is heated in the basement in a heat exchanger, which is connected to a city wide steam pipe system. That means no gas or oil fired boiler is needed for the building heating system, just some water pumps to keep the hot water circulating to the heat panels. The heat exchanger keeps the basement toasty warm too.

The apartments above, below and on the sides are also good insulators. Heat from the apartment below keeps my floor reasonably warm to walk around in socks. Wearing outdoor shoes indoors is forbidden in my lease, so socks or "house shoes" are the only options. The floors are tile in the kitchen, entrance hall and bath with laminate in the bedroom & LR.

Most places in Germany, heat is needed from early October to end of April or early May. I almost never use the heat in the bedroom, and the kitchen heat panel gets turned on for a couple of hours in the morning and occasionally in the evening. The bath and living room heat panels are on thermostat timers, set for 18C / 64F from 10pm to 6 am, and 22C/72F for the remaining hours of the day. When I am indoors, it rarely feels chilled or too cold. I usually wear blue jeans and a t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt over the t-shirt, no sweater or sweatshirt.

My heating is included in the "all-in" rent I pay for the apartment (about $800 USD / month including all utilities, internet, cable TV, furnishing and kitchen needs). It is a really nice apartment, and I've lived mostly in apartments during the past 40+ years in the US by comparison. The great heating system sure makes it more pleasant to live in a cool weather climate. It is more comfortable than living in a place with a short cold weather season, but in a home or apartment with poor insulation and heating like are often found in the southern parts of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather