Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times

Advertisements

For all the talk about cold in Canada… the long-term linear temperature just released show mean temp trends across Canada have been upward during the last 60-years-plus time period. There seems to be little question now that Canada as a whole is growing warmer:

AccuWeather.com - Brett Anderson | Temperature Trends across Canada since 1948 (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/anderson/story/48636/temperature-trends-across-canada-since-1948.asp - broken link)

EnviroStats: Chart 1 — Mean temperature departures from*1961*to*1990*normal and linear trend for Canada and climatic regions,*1948*to*2009

EnviroStats: Chart 2 — Mean temperature departures from*1961*to*1990*normal and linear trend for climatic regions,*1948*to*2009
EnviroStats: Chart 3 — Seasonal departure of mean temperature from*1961*to*1990*normal and linear trend for Canada,*1948*to*2009

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Interesting!

I suspect a similar trend is true for the Northeast US. Assuming this is going to keep continuing, this should mean the years ahead are more likely to be warmer with shorter winters.

Great news!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Good that we're finally getting warmer... maybe in 20 years I'll be able to grow a few more species of palm trees here unprotected

Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM

927 posts, read 1,948,613 times
Back in the late 50's through mid 70's when most of the planet went through a brief period of sharly dropping temperatures, a small cadre of scientists were insisting that rising CO2 levels would warm us up to unprecedented levels. The primative global climatic models (GCM's) of the era postulated the higher latitudes in both hemispheres would feel the effects first and the warming signal would be strongest. They also suggessted winter temperatures and night time temperatures would climb faster.

"Cool" countries, such as Canada (New Zealand) would warm up faster than "warm" ones such as Cuba (Paraguay). Interestingly enough this asymmetric warming would take place regardless of whether natural processes or mankind's activities were responsible.

The graphs show the Arctic tundra, Arctic mountains and fiords and the MacKenzie district warmed up faster than the rest of Canada. They also show a strong winter warming signal although all seasons warmed up to some extent or other.

Are we seeing the same trends in Russia and northern Europe; the same pattern in New Zealand, southern Argentina and Chile and Antarctica? Don't know but I would be surprised if we didn't.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Back in the late 50's through mid 70's when most of the planet went through a brief period of sharly dropping temperatures, a small cadre of scientists were insisting that rising CO2 levels would warm us up to unprecedented levels. The primative global climatic models (GCM's) of the era postulated the higher latitudes in both hemispheres would feel the effects first and the warming signal would be strongest. They also suggessted winter temperatures and night time temperatures would climb faster.

"Cool" countries, such as Canada (New Zealand) would warm up faster than "warm" ones such as Cuba (Paraguay). Interestingly enough this asymmetric warming would take place regardless of whether natural processes or mankind's activities were responsible.

The graphs show the Arctic tundra, Arctic mountains and fiords and the MacKenzie district warmed up faster than the rest of Canada. They also show a strong winter warming signal although all seasons warmed up to some extent or other.

Are we seeing the same trends in Russia and northern Europe; the same pattern in New Zealand, southern Argentina and Chile and Antarctica? Don't know but I would be surprised if we didn't.

Well the global warming debate is really sticky as you must well know. Politics has now even gotten in the way of the scientists community making general statements.

However, from what I understand, your right, the signal for warming was projected to come from higher latitudes first. As you say, cool" countries, such as Canada (New Zealand) should warm faster, and the subtropics/tropics should warm slower…and that may be the problem: More 100 F days in Montreal, Canada or Christchurch, NZ would be more noticeable, yet, even a weak signal of the mean date when the first 80 F days each year in Miami or Townsville might not have drawn any research attention, yet there might be something there.

The graphs show the Arctic tundra, Arctic mountains and fiords and the MacKenzie district warmed up faster than the rest of Canada is really troubling to me. When the white surfaces with a high albedo are replaced with dark sea water/or land (lower albedo) more sunlight is absorbed at the surface. So the feedback changes themselves become the issue, rather that the larger scale climate change. Maybe we are seeing the first evidence of that?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Is there anywhere where there actually hasn't been a warming trend or a high occurence of unusual weather these past 20 years?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Is there anywhere where there actually hasn't been a warming trend or a high occurence of unusual weather these past 20 years?
Playing around at the NASA's site, there are some oceanic regions in the mid to equatorial latitudes that seem to exhibit little warming.

Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis

If you don't think my choice of years are correct, you can use this to select what you want:

Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Global Maps from GHCN Data

A model from the 1980 simulated that increasing CO_2 by 4x would affect the temperature by latitude and altitude by this:

So, everywhere warms, but the poles much more. And the stratosphere cools.

RealClimate: Polar Amplification

Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Still too cold for me! Most parts of the world are warming, in 50 years time London will have the climate of Rome, and New York the climate of Richmond, Virginia.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I figure if it happens fast enough, I'll have some ocean front property in Orlando, Florida. Then I can sell and retire.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM

175 posts, read 324,190 times
It seems to me, at least for the past decade, that spring (March, April, May) has been, in general, getting colder, while autumn (September, October, November) has been getting warmer, at least for my area (Southern Ontario). Anybody else noticed this? I really don't mind warm autumn, but cold spring is just too hard to stomach sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather